Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.08.2019, 09:07 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default What is your source of Patches

I am back after a lot of years. Bought a virus snow in 2008 and worked with it arround 2 years. Now after 9 years I am about to start again.

My question to you is how the use of patches have changed. Questions like

1.) The initial preset of patches in 2008 may today be a total different one, because better and better patches have been developed?

2.) From where you get/find your patches today?

3.) Are you mostly buying patches or do you find 'open source' patches somewhere?

4.) Is there anywhere a library or inventary where e.g. the 20 best patches in each category (pads, arps, leads, bass, ...) or by genre (like 70s, analog, 80s, ...) are listed?

5.) Do you know of a library which contains best non-techno patches like piano, church, organ, strings, violine, trumpet, percussion, ... patches?

Wonder why there no sub-forum arround virus ti patchs in this forum, where such discussions are done?
Old 26.08.2019, 09:57 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Official Access Music library of free patches

https://www.virus.info/downloads

Product: Virus TI Series
Category: Sounds and Patches

Many of them are still relevant and sounding good.

Great third party patches can be bought at

Ultimate X Sounds
https://www.ultimatexsounds.com/

However, I tend to create my own sounds, or use an existing patch and tweak it to fit the track.
Old 28.08.2019, 06:01 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

1.) The initial preset of patches in 2008 may today be a total different one, because better and better patches have been developed?

The original TI|1 was released 2005, with the Ti|2 refresh in 2009, ten years ago now.

There have been a few OS updates since the date you specified (2008) - notably TI OS 3, 4 and 5, which added stomp-box Overdrive/Distortion effects, Tape Delay, additional Character models, new Filter types (Vowel, Comb, multimode Vari-Slope and X-fade algorithms), Modulation/Step-Sequencer, and two additional EGs.

So there may be more 'modern' patches since then that are more varied and make use of these newer features, but most patches will make use of the classic features that came before these updates. (Even the Virus B that was released in 1999 sounds great, and it has none of the features of the later Virus C or TI series!)

The last full feature update (TI OS 5) was released December 2012, though, seven years ago now. Since then the synth has only received bug-fix updates, no additional features.

2.) From where you get/find your patches today?

Same as Oli, I tend to program all my patches. I do remember using the Vengeance incubation soundsets (the early free ones), They were on the original Access' website for free download.

I've got several hardware subtractive synths and when I was starting out I deconstructed the sounds that I liked to see how they were made. Doing so gives you a great idea of how audio programming works, and these tactics can then be transferred and used on any other subtractive synth.

3.) Are you mostly buying patches or do you find 'open source' patches somewhere?

I used the free downloads part of Access' site. There are loads.

4.) Is there anywhere a library or inventary where e.g. the 20 best patches in each category (pads, arps, leads, bass, ...) or by genre (like 70s, analog, 80s, ...) are listed?

'Best patches' are subjective, I imagine everyone has different favourites, thus you can't really list them. I do remember Access populating a 'best of' bank, which became the factory presets, but this was in the Virus-C days, long before the TI.

5.) Do you know of a library which contains best non-techno patches like piano, church, organ, strings, violine, trumpet, percussion, ... patches?

Sorry I don't, but then again I never looked for those types of patches for the Virus, I tend to use ROMpler synths or physical modelling for natural acoustic/orchestral sounds.

Wonder why there no sub-forum arround virus ti patchs in this forum, where such discussions are done?

You're already posting in the Sound Design section. Maybe I misconstrue... Do you mean a download section? Copyright is an issue, I can't simply duplicate all the downloads from Access' site, or host copyrighted patches from other sites, but people are still free to post links to their own patches.
Old 05.04.2020, 06:54 PM
New here
New here

I make my own. I see NO point in having a synth and using someone elses creations. Synths are tool to create sounds with.

If you want to use preset patches - then get a Rompler style board.

Not having a go - just how I see things.