Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 27.01.2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

trophy Competition - Graindance & Plasmatron challenge - Ended

All entries are now closed. Voting is now online, best of luck!

[Plasmatron voting], [Graindance voting]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graindance and Plasmatron Competition (the brainchild of fellow user Brambos!)

Win official Access Virus T-Shirt!
(thanks to Marc @ Access!)

A fun challenge to all.

Access are known for displaying photos of the Virus with imaginative preset names for promotional photo shoots, notably "Plasmatron" and "Graindance" from the TI|2 and TI series respectively....

... however the patches are entirely fictional.

The competition: Program your very own sounds to best fit the two "Plasmatron" and "Graindance" titles!

Rules:

* There are two competitions. One for Plasmatron and another for Graindance. They will be judged separately each by public vote - so you can enter one patch, or the other, or both.
* The patches must each be evocative of, or sound related to, the 'Plasmatron' and 'Graindance' names in some way. - This is what it'll be judged on, so no bog-standard, random, heard-before trance patches (unless they are covered in ectoplasm, or split into atoms and reconstituted back into something that sounds half decent)!
* The patches must each be entirely new, and entirely your own creations. No tweaked presets here!
* Any Virus may be used (A/B/C/TI/Snow).
* To keep it fair, a maximum of 1 x Plasmatron entry and 1 x Graindance entry per person only.
* Edit the patch names to Plasmaxxx or Grainxxx or similar (where xxx is your own identifier - your two initials for example), so we know whose are whose when we play each others' patches.

How to enter:

¹ Create a brief <20 second MP3 audio demo of each of the patch entries (100% Virus only, no external processing) to showcase your creations. [Any such live modulations that you use (in addition to note, velocity and aftertouch) should be restricted to the Pitch/Mod-wheels and Definable knobs only. - Make/assign good use of them!]

² Export each of the individual patches in raw Midi format. - Instructions on how to do this here. - I will retain them until after the entry date has elapsed, after which they will be compiled and publicly released to the community. [Unfortunately I don't have a TI, so hopefully someone here may be able to compile them all into a single bank, please?!]

Contact me via PM with links to both your patches and accompanying MP3s, or send me an email (via my profile) - if you send via email, please specify your Infekted username in the mail.

The last day for submission is: 1st March.

Prize: A rare opportunity to bag an official, exclusive, highly sought-after Access Virus T-Shirt, as also modelled by the likes of Ben Crosland and the Access team at music trade shows!

If you're up for it state your name, and may the force be with you!

• Splat!
• Kcinsu?
• Big Tunes?
• Monobeat
• ///OS

Entries submitted:
• HiEnergy
• Matt van k
• Timo
• gjvti
• Ceri CJ
• Brambos
• ShortBus

Note: Although the T-Shirt is donated by Access, the competition is an unofficial one created by the community, specifically by Brambos!

Last edited by Timo : 03.03.2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 27.01.2009, 02:42 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Cheers! *does a little [grain]dance*

Old 27.01.2009, 03:28 PM
New here
New here

picture of shirt?
Old 27.01.2009, 07:25 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Ok, so question about the modulation sources.

Are patches to be of the live/performance type variety?

Personally, all my music is done with automation of parameters. So, you say we can only use mod wheel, and the 3 soft knobs... but in what context?

So should the audio demos be of just the patch playing, and a real time performance of tweaking the knobs, or can we automate those assigned knobs in our sequencer?
Old 27.01.2009, 07:36 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Also, should the mp3s be of just the patch, or could it be the patch with other elements (ie drums etc) to give it more context?
Old 28.01.2009, 07:05 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinsu View Post
Ok, so question about the modulation sources.

Are patches to be of the live/performance type variety?

Personally, all my music is done with automation of parameters. So, you say we can only use mod wheel, and the 3 soft knobs... but in what context?

So should the audio demos be of just the patch playing, and a real time performance of tweaking the knobs, or can we automate those assigned knobs in our sequencer?
I think the MP3 should be just the patch (or maybe both patches if you think they fit together well). And maybe some manual twiddling of the soft-knobs and modwheel.. but I would say no automated parameter changes, otherwise you can do 3 total preset morphs in those 20 seconds

Compare it to the way commercial sound designers advertise their preset banks.
Old 28.01.2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Yes, 100% Virus only, no external processing, as the votes will be on the merits of the actual patches themselves.

Let's say you can use a sequencer if you wish, but other than note, velocity and aftertouch, only the Pitch/Mod wheels and Definable knobs can be automated. So program and assign the definable knobs and mod-wheel to good effect (makes good practice, anyway!).

Remember you can also assign more than one destination to a single knob or wheel using the matrix, so there's plenty of flexibility.

Unleash the beast within!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big tunes View Post
picture of shirt?
Hopefully Marc may be able to give us a screenshot?
Old 28.01.2009, 04:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Hopefully Marc may be able to give us a screenshot?
no, that would put to many people off - but i got a riddle for you fanboys - what was the patch name in the display of the first TI pics and brochure and why should i have checked back with the oracle before choosing it?

cheers, marc
Old 28.01.2009, 04:56 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Timo. Count me in on both Plasmatron and Graindance. This sounds like a lot of fun.

I will of course dress my Virus up like a Casio before attempting the patches.
Old 28.01.2009, 05:01 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Im down for both