Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 13.08.2007, 06:12 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Smile Yamaha FS1r

Anyone have any opinions on it? Would be interested in hearing it. I may pick one up.
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707
Old 13.08.2007, 07:12 PM

I downloaded that FSeq editor and loaded WAV files in, and took a look at that stuff and it looks very powerful. I have to get one of these to program synth choirs now. lol

This looks too fun to pass up. :P

http://www.xs4all.nl/~niff/fs1r/fseqedit/help/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~niff/fs1r/fseq...screenshot.gif
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707

Last edited by Keith Phillips : 13.08.2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 13.08.2007, 07:41 PM
This forum member lives here

Ive got an FS1R and they really fucking rock in my opinion. The best £300 ive spent.

Amazing digital sounds and formant syntheisis + all the original, classic DX7 presets for instant retro appeal.

Personally i Just use the presets and tweak them. Loads of good sounds

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 13.08.2007, 10:33 PM

It looks really powerful so I'm on the hunt for one this week.

I want to "re-synth" my voice using this user-created program that Yamaha was supposed to have released themselves... (something similar to it anyway)
__
Old 13.08.2007, 11:21 PM

Hey DS could you record a few things with nice choir and string sounds from your FS1R? I'd like to hear it if you can.
__
Old 16.08.2007, 07:49 PM

Ill try to man...ive just rewired my studio and im having some teething problems. Check out my 'Wiring' thread....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 24.08.2007, 07:16 PM

Lightbulb

Hey no problem. That really sucks that you had that issue there. Beats me on that one.

I ended up getting the FS1R, and a Yamaha SY85 to boot. Really great machines. Totally worth it in my opinion. I had some major problems effectively using the software-based programmer for the FS1R while running Sonar at the same time so I found a workaround...

I installed MidiYoke (related to MidiOx) and the little "virtual MIDI cable" program that comes with Hubi's MIDI Loopback (Hubi's doesn't work on XP I guess, but the cable program does) and set 2 instances of that cable program to open the MIDI port in and out, and a MidiYoke port for input and output sharing. (Yeah I have an antiquated sound card for the MIDI port, but I don't care. LOL)

Kind of went like this:

MPU401 In from keyboards -> MidiYoke port 1
MidiYoke port 2 -> MPU401 Out to keyboards

So then I can run Sonar and set MidiYoke port 1 as the MIDI input in all programs and MidiYoke port 2 for the output. Those ports end up being relayed to and from the hardware port, the only thing is that the MidiYoke ports can be opened by whatever the hell you want. So I can run the FS1R programmer with the same ports in and out and it wont blow up while Sonar has a hold on the same ports. Complicated!!

What a pain in the ass, but at least it works. lol

I should probably get some sort of breakout box with proper drivers that doesn't have these types of problems. hehe
__
Old 25.08.2007, 09:38 AM

Cool to hear you got the FS1R. For the money.....its an amazing machine. Which editor are you using for it?

This is the best one apparently http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/k_take/fs1r...r_english.html

DS

Old 25.08.2007, 10:41 AM

Thats the one! That and the FSEQ editor where you can load in WAVs and extract the formants and upload them into the user sequences. Pretty fucking trippy.

I plan on taking the FS1R to work on my new track/remix very soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Right now I'm just using the Andromeda for the main pizzicato style synth, and the Yamaha SY85 (GREAT SYNTH) for bass and an additional synth line underneath the Andy. (I fucking LOVE the SY85 effects ...OMG...)

Still needs A FUCKING BUTTLOAD of work but I have a little patch test right now. I am going to work on the drums a lot more tomorrow. Just whipped up something really quick this evening to see how shit is fitting before I get too far into this thing. ...lol Not -too- bad for 2 evenings of work from scratch though. I especially like the phaser-y synth part from the SY85.

http://solar-sound.com/temp/godspeed4.mp3

More to come later Some of this shit may change drastically.. This is basically like my first real attempt at a track from complete scratch, so I am still a super-noob. lol Just transcribed the notes by ear off of a record I have and started putting stuff down in Sonar and noodling around (while majorly drunk of course. that always helps. haha)
__

Last edited by Keith Phillips : 25.08.2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 26.08.2007, 08:33 AM

I was fooling with the FS1R today and got a NICE spacey choir sound and put that into my sound test in the above file. Gotta work on the drums a bit and start with the arrangement. I think I'm happy with the way the sounds go together now. I had a hi-hat/shaker sound that was annoying me so I made one with the SH-101..much better!

Man the FS1R and the SY85 both fucking ROCK!!!
__