Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 27.11.2013, 12:15 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Hey thanks man that helped. The things that where throwing me where my library is on a seperate HD to my system drive because it's way too big, also I had to manually redirect the M2 stuff to the seperate HD & then rescan the old Mashine directory in M2 & then all the old Maschine projects show up in the user library not the NI one. What a PITA but finally got it all working properly...still waiting for tech support to get back to me Lol.
Right on, glad you got it worked out.
Old 27.12.2013, 10:59 PM

My music purchases this holiday were quite modest -- having already added hardware and software earlier in the year to my setup, I realized that I have all the instruments I need for now, and ergonomic issues were more in the way of my music making than anything else.

Specifically I got the (overpriced, but awesome) Maschine stand and mounted it on a Roland PDS-10 stand. This gets the unit off my table, freeing up plenty of space for (ahem) maybe a future piece of gear just to the left of my primary MIDI controller (where I would want the knobs to be), and puts it at an angle that is an ergonomic game changer. You don't realize how much the angle really matters until this is done. One of the original reasons I got Maschine was to satisfy my percussive lust as a former drummer, unfortunately I found myself not physically "playing" Maschine as often as I should because of space crowding and the angle of the unit. Now, it is much easier to work the pads, knobs, and to see the display screens, too. I started playing it differently and more naturally instantly after setting it up.

Great purchase and highly recommended unless you already have ergonomic bliss with your Maschine via some other method already.
Old 11.01.2015, 07:47 PM

I'm actually embarrassed to admit I've owned this Machine MK 1 for years now, but never bothered to learn such important features as how to choke pads. It's not that the choke option wasn't sitting there, in my face, a gazillion times. It's that I end up having too much fun with the damn thing and pissing away time instead of focusing on valuable workflow items. And, I also only recently started using it as a primary sampler, one of it's strong points. At the moment using it mostly as an FX plugin on audio tracks, capturing sounds from hardware synths, slicing them up, etc.

To circle back to the Maschine stand + Roland PDS-10 I mentioned above in message #32 (hard to believe that was over a year ago -- how time flies!) This turned out to be one of the best purchases I could have made, would have done it much sooner had I realized the impact. I've learned a great deal about the importance of ergonomic flexibility. Instrument placement is of course a matter of personal preference, but putting this thing on it's own percussion stand was a game changer for me.

Despite all this, I still do most functions with the plugin+mouse. It's just easier that navigating things using knob and mini-menus. The one exception to that is when I'm auditioning particular samples. For example looking for a specific type of kick or snare sound. Using the hardware knob to quickly cycle through them is a big time saver.

The newer more expensive Maschine studio would be nice for people who like using the Maschine hardware to control things more than a mouse and decent sized monitor, but for me I can't see any purpose it would serve -- more buttons/knobs and screens to go unused with my particular workflow. Sometimes I do wish my MK I had multicolored pads so I could make all kick variations one color, snares another, etc. but that sole feature isn't worth spending more when my current one still works great.