Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 08.08.2014, 12:51 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
To be honest, god awful, but it's my computer rather than the Snow. Recently migrated my PC OS from Vista to Win 8.1, as well as upgrading the mobo BIOS and wish I hadn't. Where I used to get down to 6ms in Vista and 1.5ms in XP, in Win8 all my VSTs (Amplitube, etc.) are completely out of sync.

Done a bit of digging and found the interrupt procedure calls are going wappy. Had a similar problem with Vista (although it was still usable), but Win8 has amplified it in orders of magnitude.

Installed Win8.1 clean on another partition yesterday to try to track down the problem but the DPC issues were there without installing anything other than the OS and hardware drivers. As my mobo is 6 years old now it doesn't have Win8 drivers so used Win7 ones - unsure if this is what's causing the problem. Either way I can't get less than 500ms latency out of Amplitube 3 or the Snow when jamming live.

Re-installed Windows XP dual boot on the same computer and the DPC latencies dropped right down, so it's either the legacy computer hardware drivers causing the probs in Win8 (most likely) or the Win8 OS itself (less likely, as no-one else has complained).

However I found out the hard way that, when setting up a dual boot system, you cannot simply install an older OS after a new OS, as the old OSs overwrite the bootblock with data that doesn't and cannot recognise the newer OSs, so I was completely locked out of my main Win8.1 OS. Had to do a backup restore to restore it, but now I'm locked out of XP instead. Ho hum. Looks like I may have to format both OSs and install them sequentially, but I really can't stomach going back to XP just for the Snow. It's an aging OS and the version I own is 32-bit so can't use any 64-bit software and hardware on it, and Access has also dropped XP support in the latest versions of TI OS.

Already been looking to build a new computer given it's 6 years old, so this may give me the shove I need.

Back to the Snow, overall extremely impressed with the sound engine for such a little beast. Just miffed my computer isn't up to dealing with audio more effectively at present.
First post in many years, only came here because I got the happy birthday email

Anyway I was experiencing the same as you in Windows 7, drove me up the wall. Anyway the solution for me was CPU throttling.

Try disabling this, it has to be done in the Power Options control panel, going to Change Plan Settings, then into Change advanced power settings and then make sure that under Proccessor Power Management, Minimum processor state is set to 100%.

This got rid of all my latency issues.

Hopefully this will work for you.