Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 12.07.2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Ramones punks founder Tommy dies

Tommy Ramone, the drummer and last surviving original member of influential US punk band The Ramones, has died aged 65, the group announces.

Kinda funny how the rest of the group being dead can 'announce' anything isn't it I personally thought they where way overated especially after seeing them perform live...completely crap, sounded god awful & was one of the biggest disappointments ever having shelled out a lot of cash for the ticket's. It's a credit to the producer's & engineer's that they sounded so good on vinyl. Obviously they had a way of keeping them off the heroin just long enough for them to play all 3 chords they knew in tune
Non of them where actually called Ramone, 'Tommy' is really called Erdelyi Tamas & came from Hungary so shattering the myth that they where a group of American brother's & pretty much lived off the hype for there entire career having never achieved any real commercial success.
Not really hating on them, just tired of hearing how they 'invented' Punk rock...Bollocks! Just yer (below) average garage band if you ask me.
Old 12.07.2014, 08:38 PM
This forum member lives here

I was never a huge fan, but I didn't care much for the Sex Pistols either. These days I do sometimes find myself enjoying listening to some of that stuff for nostalgic reasons.

I think part of the punk movement was that the very act of sucking at something can be made into art -- I don't think their musicianship was ever one of their selling points, but then there are a lot of good musicians that never achieve success, and a lot of bad musicians that do. Look at all the auto-tuned crap vocals and perfected-via edit stuff that goes into commercial tracks today. Someone can now be a famous musician with no musical talent at all if the planets line up right.

They just had a unique sound that caught on -- maybe not with mainstream listeners but enough that a lot of bands cite the Ramones as one of their early influences, so I have to say that counts for something. I do remember hearing they weren't related back in the early days of MTV I'm pretty sure. If we look at "thrasher" bands like Nirvana they do borrow some things that I don't think can be traced back any further in history than the Ramones or not (I have no idea if Nirvana claimed them as an influence or not but a lot of the Seattle grunge and punk scene did).

I have to say I wouldn't be interested in seeing them in concert even if they were still around. But I'll listen to them occasionally when they get air time on SiriusXM.
Old 12.07.2014, 11:20 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Yeah the Sex Pistols where the product of Malcom Mclaren but they took the real punk attitude & sound to the main stream & made a shit load of money in the process. Of course there where many other's as well that could actually play there instruments & write songs also, the Clash, Stranglers, the Damned etc. I've seen them all live & even with there raw edge they did sound great. The Ramones to me just sounded like a garage band & nothing like the Punk rock I grew up with...not very edgey, volatile or experimental, just the same 3 chord's over & over. They didn't even catch on in the UK until the whole Punk scene went mainstream. Sure they may have been an influence but bands like the Clash covered old Dub tracks not the Ramones.
I don't think the Ramones would even be in my top 20 Punk bands, there where way better ones. I think they where just one of those bands that got away with sucking & still made money hence giving way to many, many others.
I still say it was there producer Craig Leon that made the band because without him just like the Sex Pistols without Mclaren they would have been nothing.
Old 13.07.2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Also who the fuck said the pistols where influenced in any way by the ramones???? Obviously people who have cabbage's for ears. Not only do they not sound anything like them but Lydon would probably spit in your face for suggesting such a thing. OK rant over...I feel better now
Old 13.07.2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

One more thing...the ramones inducted into the 'rock & roll hall of fame'
The Pistols told them to piss off when they where invited...now thats real Punk rock
Old 13.07.2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Also who the fuck said the pistols where influenced in any way by the ramones???? Obviously people who have cabbage's for ears. Not only do they not sound anything like them but Lydon would probably spit in your face for suggesting such a thing. OK rant over...I feel better now
Well I can't speak for others or for the Sex Pistols, I just said a lot of bands have cited them as an influence. All the heroin in the world couldn't muster the balls in Lydon's scrawny body to spit in my face, and if he did solid food would no longer be an option for him going forward Not that it would damage his singing ability mind you, because he never had that to begin with. lol

I will say though, when I hear a song like "I Wanna Be Sedated", I can see the impact that the Ramones had on a lot of skater-rock type bands. It's a lot harder for me to say the same about the Sex Pistols, but then again I was never a huge fan of punk. Maybe bands like "X" remind me of the Sex Pistols more than the Ramones just because of out of tune singing.
Old 13.07.2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Lol, both bands where formed at the same time in the mid 70's so I very much doubt either one influenced the other. Certainly don't sound anything like each other. No internet or social media in those days & just trying to make it as an indie band in your own country was hard enough, let alone crossing the pond without major label help. It has to be said the Pistols where way more commercially successful however & influenced a slew of punk bands across the globe. While the ramones wanted to be 'sedated' the pistols wanted 'anarchy'...
Personally I would take the anarchist's over the glue sniffing heroin addicts any day Oh wait a minute didn't Sid Vicious die of a smack overdose, I guess that makes them even on the heroin overdose death's at least Lol!
Did the Ramones invent Punk? Of course not, they didn't even come close.

On 23 April 1976 the debut album by the leading punk rock band in the New York scene, the Ramones, was released. Though it is regarded as seminal to the growth of punk rock in England and elsewhere, Lydon has repeatedly rejected any suggestion that it influenced the Sex Pistols: "[The Ramones] were all long-haired and of no interest to me. I didn't like their image, what they stood for, or anything about them";[56] "They were hilarious but you can only go so far with 'duh-dur-dur-duh'. I've heard it. Next. Move on

Last edited by Berni : 13.07.2014 at 05:39 PM.