Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 04.03.2005, 09:45 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

I think Juho is partially correct about the bass, it doesn't have a lot of transient detail, but I also think it's largely the player's fault. The guitar...if what you've got on tape is a thin guitar sound complicated by drum bleed..well, man, that's not a keeper. You have to be a little forceful when recording bands and make sure they understad that that you'll do whatever you can to capture their sound, but nothing less. In almost every studio I've worked in, we've used an iso booth for guitar. There's also a pretty high noise floor on everything...this can be a struggle to deal with since you're recording to tape, but there are definitely methods to battle it.

I know you're just finishing up recording school, and with that in mind I'd say the mix is alright. I'll be really interested to see what you're cranking out a year from now, once you've had a better chance to work with guys who do this everyday (and are expected to produce results). If I was your professor, I'd give you a B-. If I was the band, I wouldn't pay for that recording....and that's what you've got to keep in mind.
Old 04.03.2005, 10:01 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
I know you're just finishing up recording school, and with that in mind I'd say the mix is alright. I'll be really interested to see what you're cranking out a year from now, once you've had a better chance to work with guys who do this everyday (and are expected to produce results). If I was your professor, I'd give you a B-. If I was the band, I wouldn't pay for that recording....and that's what you've got to keep in mind.
Thanks for the comments....

Just incase you were wandering, My lecturer (Head of Audio, Gerry Nixon) gave me 96% (Distinction) for the recording/mix. Keeping in mind he used to hang out with the drummer from Jimi Hendrix Experience, and has been around for a long time, with some hefty names to his recording achievments.

I was pretty happy with the results, not so happy with the way we recorded guitars. And my mixes.....well, lets just say I should've spent some more time on them instead of leaving them till the last minute

College has finished now, and Im off to Sydney University to do a Masters in Design Science (Audio/Acoustics). I start on Monday!!!!!

Am finishing up a demo I recorded over the past couple weeks, and will post MP3's when they are done. Also doing a live recording for a female singer/guitarist (Percussion as well...) at a showcase gig on Monday night which should be interesting. A new experience for me....will have to take a laptop/ProTools rig and take splits from the FOH desk.

And for the future???? End of the year I am planning a trip to Tibet to record the Buddhist monks harmonic chanting. Should be f*ckin awesome!!!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60