Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25.09.2010, 08:10 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Is it just me or is the analog synth market a little bleak?

I am mainly talking about polysynths here, there are plenty of good monos it seems like.

I am beginning my research journey on a good polyanalog to compliment the virus, and I am a little let down by the current selection. I assume, though, I might not be looking in the right places.

When researching a digital synth, I easily gathered info on SO many digital analog synths currently being produced I STILL haven't gotten through all of it...

But when I look for poly analog synths currently being produced , it always seems like same thing:

the prophet 08.....the......prophet 08 .....desktop.....the....tetr4....

So that's basically one and a half synths.

And then of course there is the all reveled holy andromeda, which honestly I would LOVE to have, but I am not about to drop 40 ben franklins to play ebay roulette.

Then there is the studio electronics omega 8, supposed to be one of the best of all time, and I would hope that it is for FIVE GRAND (50 franklins). All the other Stud. electronics are supposed to be amazing, and I'm sure they are, but they are wacky expensive.

To top it all off, the prophet 8 has digitally controlled oscillators, envelopes, and some other stuff so that takes it down a notch for some people who criticize it for not being "true" analog due to this...

And of course everyone just says that it's only the vintage analogs that sound like the real thing...I think someday it would be AMAZING to own a memorymoog or prophet 05 or jupiter or whatever, but I'm not gonna be slingin' Franklins for something that I would feel scared to gig with/move at all and feel like I'm dealing with an antique (cause I am).

So why don't companies produce analogs like they used to? Or at ALL really for that matter? And I say this based on the simple fact that the digital analog to analog (poly) synth ratio being produced today is WAY skewed

I have read that there are concerns about parts that wear out over time or aren't quite as reliable for whatever reason, but having been a guitar player for a long time, I know a thing or two about tube amps and the upkeep involved. I feel like this is not something that would break a deal for me for the sake of incredible sound quality

So why not make something like they used to? Why keep making synth after synth that just get compared to the classic ones and not grow a pair and make something badass? There I said it.

Last edited by Barnelby : 27.12.2010 at 09:29 PM.