Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 16.02.2004, 10:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Music now adays...

What specifically do you all not like about the electronica scene now...what specifically in the music is cloned or reused alot...heck lets broaden this to every music...ill share my ideas as we go but i want to here some feeback first on your guys' views...

peace
Blank

BTW this thread is were u can be completely honest...no one take offense to this...these r opinions...
Old 16.02.2004, 11:19 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/viewtopic.php?t=1984

Ill just posted that link, in which we started a bit on this subject.

It's known fact that nowadays it's impossible to make completely new music, so you're forced to copy and imitate or just stop making music. Mut the good thing is that there's still lots of stuff that hadn't been combined before and stuff that has been completely frogotten years ago. So you're still able to make fresh new music with using old ideas with new ones. That's my vision of new and fresh music.

What about the state of electronic music? Probably the biggest probelm is ultra sterile categorisation. There's few main genres and there are sub genres and there's unfortunately one thing that combines all the genres: They're too incest and sterile. There are strict rules that everyone plays with and this leads to copy-paste effect. I just can't understand why this happens. Most of the artists just somehow don't bother to try anything new. I don't know is it because of a fear of rejection or what. I'd gladly hear insane combinations of different genres from folk to classical and electronica, but no-one seems to be trying any new combinations.

The other thing I have to say (and what I have said many times before) is that a good way to get yourself a record contract is to try something new and stand out the mass.
Old 16.02.2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Probably the biggest probelm is ultra sterile categorisation. There's few main genres and there are sub genres and there's unfortunately one thing that combines all the genres: They're too incest and sterile. There are strict rules that everyone plays with and this leads to copy-paste effect.
i aggree with this. except for the word probelm

many people stick to rules and structures, which to me, takes away the fun of electronic music. electronic music is the only style of music in which u can be completely free to make anything you want...but many people still stick to exactly the same structure and sound...

its even got to the point where people want the exact same bass sound playing the exact same rif they have heard in one of their favorite songs.

i think if people want to remix the same sounds, they should have bought decks and a few disc instead of synths and samplers.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 16.02.2004, 11:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran

yeah i understand what u mean by copy paste...but i was hopeing to get more indepth like maybe siteing examples...or sayin what in the music/songs that is so cloned...I think if we can clear up what is so reused atleast ppl here might get an idea how to change it...

Im leaning more toward the studder melody lines and the 4-8 part phrases that blocked like so:

C-C--CCC|E-E--EEE|F-F--FFF|A-A--GGG|

that seems really copy and paste to me...And half u noticed alot of trance is made C...if not in C its Ab or Eb... I think its become too patternized...

peace
Blank
Old 21.02.2004, 01:33 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/viewtopic.php?t=1984
It's known fact that nowadays it's impossible to make completely new music, so you're forced to copy and imitate or just stop making music.

it should not be that one seeks to make something completely new, but instead seeks to express what is unique about them personally.

With the advent of electrical instruments, electronics, multi track recording, digital recording (and so on) it was easy to do something novel and sort of stop at that. But if you analyze what was done even in these "new" things it is based on the same forms that have been components of music for millenia.

ultimately it is whether or not the musician has a valid expression whether or not their music will be good. Did classical composers feel restricted because the technology of their times changed infrequently(by comparison to our own times) ?
evolver
Old 21.02.2004, 10:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Well classical music is not really a good example...because in that day the production time on music along with the time it took to get to the audience was alot longer...and it was also subject to region...its not all about the instruments...like me and Juho have discussed b4 about the guitar...the sound it self is quite reputitious in its use...but its the player that makes the difference...and i believe this can also be used in synths...it just takes the patience to learn how to use them...you cant be a star guitar player in one year...music production i believe has become a race against time...the music industry needs songs "now" to make more money...so instead of taking the time to gain experience with the instrument i believe ppl copy just as was stated b4...just like punk...and how in the 80's the jigga jigga riff became popular...for example...a stead up down motion on the guitar...and every 4 motions (2 down 2 up) the would switch power chords...this became very popular because it was easy...not to say all were doing it but many were...i think ppl have just become impatient...they want everything now...so instead of learning the just grab what some1 else has done and copy it...this goes for all music stylings...

peace
Blank

BTW what i wanted to know was what about the songs do u not like...is it the basslines, the sounds, the chord progressions? what?
Old 24.02.2004, 10:38 AM
Pro
Pro

Genres in general are a lot more fluid than a lot of people may think. One genre doesn't start where one stops, they all overlap and influence each other and always have done. E.g. The Rolling Stones developed from Blues, House is heavily influenecd by Disco. If you look at all "supposedly" new music, they all tend to be hybrids of stuff that's been done before. It follows that musicians must be fluid in their creativity also if they want to make fresh sounding stuff. If you become entrenched in one particular type of sound for too long you're going against the natural flow of musical development.
Old 16.06.2004, 12:09 PM

I think its generally down to this:

1) There are alot of bedroom wanabees who release on obscure lables....and who have had no/very little musical training. I think poor songwriting is the Number 1 cause. Its a well documented fact that synthesizers allows musically inept people to make 'music'. Coupled with a lack of musical theory, is a lack of creativity and an over reliance on overused presets.

2) Synthesizers have been used for dance music since late 80's, early 90's and we have all been exposed to 303's, power chords and distorted leads. Its hard if not impossible to sound fresh if you keep using those sounds.

3) Midi. You wanna sound a bit different? Hmm..... use as little midi as possible. Try playing parts in live. Open/close filters live......it makes a big difference and it really alters the general feeling of the track. Ive listened to 80's stuff....even some early 90's rave that quite obviously used manual filter manipulations. Refreshing! Your virus was designed for live tweaking...so why not try it?

Juho is right to point out that artists just dont bother to try something new. But I suspect that this refers to point No. 1

I should imagine that a classically trained pianist (who could be converted to the dark side of techno) would be able to come up with something interesting.

DS
Old 19.06.2004, 01:05 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I dont even think it needs to go as far as classically trained pianists...just simple ppl who want to learn more about manipulating and morphing music and its structure...you dont need to know an instrument to know music...because the body can be an instrument...but you do have to possess a want to learn more about what you love...like with anything...music is easy money for most entertainers...even if its just playing records at a weekend party...

peace
Blank
Old 21.07.2004, 11:02 PM
New here
New here

The reason I think a lot of trance sounds a bit stale and samey, is that a lot of the time, it's DJ's making the progression from DJing to producing. People just want to make music now, so as a result they take whatever shortcuts they can. how often do you see unanswered posts on trance forums by people asking for tips on 'how to make a big lead' or 'how to make an A&B bassline'. They use presets as opposed to learning how to program the synth and stick to tried and tested riffs and patterns. They, and I partly speak for myself, just want to make music that sounds good when you're off your tits on drugs, which doesn't take that much originality. I too am guilty of this - but I do have some programming knowledge and try to make all my patches myself.

The fact is, there is so much to learn, that people tend to stick to tried and tested whilst they find their feet, finishing the first track is always a milestone, and people take whatever shortcuts they can to achieve it - The people who really make the effort to build their own sound will succeed, and there will be hundreds of bedroom DJs/producers who won't go the extra yard to make their stuff sound unique and instead swamp the file-sharing community with their remixes of peak time anthems.

I agree that something original is more likely to get signed - A lot of the time though, people just want to make music that sounds good, it doesn't have to be original - if it did, no one would be listening to trance anymore, yet it's the most popular genre.