Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 22.06.2007, 08:39 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Default A Personal appeal to all Infekted's - dig deep folks!... please...

Hi All

I really hope you don't mind my posting this on Infekted, as I know there are may worthwhile organisations already after our well earned money, but I have a personal request to everyone here.

My wife and I have two very good friends, Rob and Liz: who have a young son, Mason who has Cystic Fibrosis. Mason and my daughter Heather are in school together in the same class and always play together - they have been the closest of friends - boyfriend and girlfriend if you will - for years. hough a lively, active and extremely bright young lad, Mason has Cystic Fibrosis, and undergoes a daily regime of physiotherapy, nebulised antibiotics, inhalers, oral antibiotics, nutritional supplements, vitamin supplements and oral medication to aid digestion. On a good day he takes in excess of 30 tablets and has an hour-and-a-half of intensive physiotherapy (and that is when he is well). Remember, this is a daily regime.

These people are the salt of the earth, and Rob always does things for charity. he's on a campaign for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust to have his head shaved totally bald - all in the name of this good cause.

I have a thread on theMouthPiece.com that I'd love for you to visit and have a read of, and if the feeling takes you - then feel free to click on the link and make a donation to see if we can beat his target which is set at £1,000 (GBP). Personally, I feel with the help of those kind people on my site, and the generosity of all you TI owners here - we can easily surmount his target. Rob does not know I am doing this, and has said to me he feels he may have set the goal of £1,000 too high - but I honestly think he and Liz will be gobsmacked when they find out how their campaign tally is rising so much.

Please would you consider helping me here, and visiting my page where all the details can be found. I can personally reassure everyone here and those who know me, I don't ask for things like this, and in fact have never even done this on my own forum... that Rob and Liz are wonderful people, who would do anything for anyone despite what they go through with their gorgeous son Mason on a daily basis. The really do deserve all the help they can get.

So, forgive me if my appeal is out of line, but please do consider helping me. Here is a photograph of Heather and Mason - and on which is obvious to see how close they are.

Here is the link to the story and photographs on my site where all the details can be found. If you do find it in your heart to donate, please tell us where you came from (Infekted/tMP etc). Many, many thanks to you all for getting this far, please continue to the link...

John
Old 23.06.2007, 04:36 AM
This forum member lives here

What's the British taxpayer paying money for? That's terrible you have to go begging on here.
Old 23.06.2007, 09:27 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Whilst you've got a point OVM, I don't look at it as begging and hope you guys don't.

When it is something so close and personal then you owe it to yourself and you loved ones to help as much as you can...

Drammy
Old 23.06.2007, 10:52 AM

When I lived in UK I got daily calls from charities. Everyone very heartbreaking. Help the blind, disabled school wants minivan, sponsored walk for handicapped, etc etc. Tin rattlers outside Tesco's, every street corner.
It's a fucking disgrace that people have to beg in UK for such things.
Old 23.06.2007, 11:35 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

I´m very sorry for the situation your friends are in but from principle i only support trusted big organisations like Medecins Sans Frontiers, Amnesty International, International Red Cross, etc. because i belive that they are much better judges for deciding who is in most need of my money on this earth than i am. Maybe 1000£ can save one you love but it might save 100 children in Africa and since i don´t know any of them i will rather support 100 children than 1. This is why i don´t donate to individuals (except if it´s family or close personal friends). Sorry...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 23.06.2007, 12:21 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Hey guys

No need for any apologies... just donate if you want to or don't if not... no worries. If you have other preferences for your money, then that's fine too. For me this is personal, and hence why I wrote to Drammy and asked permission to do this before I posted it on here.

As for begging - I don't think it is. It is a personal appeal that I choose to support, simple as that.

Also - as for the UK government supporting these type of appeals and providing funding for them, I am sure that in some indirect way they do. Having said that, I could care less if they do or not - I choose to myself.

CF Trust is a trusted organisation, and I'd be cvery areful about 'trusting' these larger organisations with deciding who should get your money. I know of one such 'trusted organisation' who invested £5,000,000 in a Computer System. Using your maths, that's 500,000 children - poor mentality there.

Also - the £1,000 isn't going to my friends son Mason in oerson, it is going to the CF Trust who do research and will help thousands of children, young people and whoever else who happens to be inflicted with this debilitating condition.

Bother yourselves if it matters to you, don't bother yourselves if it doesn't.

Have a good day.
Old 23.06.2007, 04:42 PM

Yes it's fucking begging. Thatcher's Britain mate.
Old 23.06.2007, 04:48 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Still disagree with you OVM... it's not begging. I am not asking for money for a person, or an individual; I am asking for money to a cause.

Totally different.
Old 23.06.2007, 05:40 PM

John mate. It's disgraceful for anyone to have to ask for money for such a thing.
Old 23.06.2007, 08:21 PM

ok, I think something is getting lost in translation.

I think what ovm is trying to say here is that what you are doing (looking for donations for a worthy cause) isn't what he considers to be begging or disgraceful, but rather the fact that you find yourself having to HAVE TO DO THAT is what he finds disgraceful. I believe what ovm is saying, is that in this day and age of abundance and wealth, sick people should be able to be cared for by their wealthy country's health care system and the fact that they aren't and now you find yourself in a position of having to have to ask for donations - that is what he finds appalling.

or . . . . I could be way off and he just thinks you are begging