Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 05.08.2009, 06:16 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Default Super-stereo sounds?

Hi,

I have noticed that almost every sound in this track are "super stereo".
like these sounds @ 0:12 , 0:24 , 1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clE-L_lM0rw

anyone got a idea how to create this kind of sounds with the virus?

thank you!
Old 06.08.2009, 05:27 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to MiddleThinkr Send a message via MSN to MiddleThinkr Send a message via Skype™ to MiddleThinkr

hey i know the track =) my music too :P when im @ home i will take some advise on it ok =) ... just workin on a Noisecontrollers - Venom , Remix
Old 07.08.2009, 09:26 PM
Infektion taking hold...

That would be great.also send you a pm!
Old 08.08.2009, 10:04 AM
New here
New here

I've just been to a mastering seminar where he talked a fair bit about increasing the stereo of a mix.

http://www.ccat.edu.au/index.php?opt...id=71&Itemid=1

There should be a link on that page to the notes from the night. Basically, you can invert the phase of the right signal of a sound and mix it back into the left signal to leave you with just the stereo signal. You can then boost or eq the stereo signal and add it back to the mono for extra stereo. This also seems to be a mono output friendly way of doing it.

There's also this article at Sound on Sound on other techniques for extra stereo http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0.../stereomix.htm

There's also numerous plug ins that'll help. Try "flux - stereo tool" - free and not too shabby.

I've had a go at splitting the signal to just the stereo signal but I'm slightly confused with some of the routing on the TI. With the TI, when I select "USB L" is it just the left signal? Or is it the left and right signal panned hard left?
Old 08.08.2009, 03:09 PM
Am starting to like this forum

One great technique to achieve stereo especially with synths is a technique used a lot in recorded traditional music, where for instance, you record two similar takes of an acoustic guitar, pan them considerable left and right, and you then achieve this bigger, very stereo sound.

With hardware synths, and EVEN with softsynths, you can record or have two identical tracks of the same part playing exactly the same sequence and panning them left and right. The slight differences and phases of each instrument will bring out a similar stereo quality. If you change one side more than the other, you will accentuate the width, but if you change to far, you can lose that sense of width. Its almost like a manual chorus, but in some ways more sophisticated, and without that detuned-ish sound you often get with chorus.

Another way to get stereo width without resorting to normal panning is to use delay, but not as echo, but as in Logic´s sample delay, where you delay the left from the right track by milliseconds. This can give a very
interesting width quality and easily bring out a sound in a different way.