Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.09.2005, 05:25 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Osci
Default What to people think of the virus as a detroit techno synth?

I have been working here and there with my virus but it seems that it may not be the synth for me. I have gotten some nice sounds out of it and i think it is a great synth but I am thinking that I may get more use out of a product like Reaktor. The Virus always seems to sound somewhat to polished or over produced. Almost always when I open the filter right up I find myself thingking... thats it? There no more? It seems to totaly lack in bite and crispness as compaird to my nord for example.

I cash is a little tight at the moment and I am wondering if it rely is worth haning onto it. Is anyone elts getting good sound for minimal techno/detroit techno out of this synth. Track that one expect to hear in the sets of folks like Hawtin and dave clarke?

I would like to hold on to it but it just seems like a waste of synth at the moment.

Any opinions welcome thanks.
Old 19.09.2005, 06:42 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Well its definetly a matter of taste, and I think the virus could be used (like most synthesizers) for almost all kinds of music! Most people think the virus is much bittier and crispier than Reaktor and Nord, but you are free to think otherwise offcourse.

Since you asked for an opinion, I would think its good for that style of music .

-VR
Old 19.09.2005, 06:56 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

hey vvanrij

well going between the nord and the virus (sitting side by side so to speak as my virus is the powercore version) the high end on the nord is way brighter. There is no question about it. As for side by side with reaktor I cant say as i have not listend to it side by side.

Thank you for your feedback.

would still like to hear from others as to what they think.
Old 19.09.2005, 09:44 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Yes the virus lacks a little bit in high end, but don't know if the powercore has it, or you could use a plugin, to add some High EQ, should clear things up. It is a bit of the character of the virus though to have the dark sounds.. nothing to do with crisp really Try also to download some patches, they might prove you wrong

-VR
Old 19.09.2005, 09:45 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

I think a modular synthesizer will be more usful for thos type of sounds.
you should look into nord Mod1 or g2.

About reaktor:
i find it useful for hardcore digital sounds and weird textures but as a virtual analog it sux,the filters\oscilators are realy thin and plastic sounding even compering to other software VAs (such as your imposcar) which i think sounds absolutly great.
Old 19.09.2005, 07:59 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I have downloaded many other patches from the website and it is just the way the synth sounds. As for the powercore virus sounding different from a hardware virus this is not a concern as it is running on the same hardware except for the DA converters and I am sure that my RME is not causing problems.

Tomer when you talk about reaktor is this the same with reaktor5? I know now you can build your own OSC's and Filters now so this ought to change things woundnt you think?
Old 19.09.2005, 09:30 PM
Pro
Pro

Korg MS2000 would make for an ideal detroit techno synth and great companion to the nord IMO
Old 20.09.2005, 12:35 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
Korg MS2000 would make for an ideal detroit techno synth and great companion to the nord IMO
hmm intersting. I will look into that.

thanks for the input
Old 20.09.2005, 10:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osci
Tomer when you talk about reaktor is this the same with reaktor5? I know now you can build your own OSC's and Filters now so this ought to change things woundnt you think?
I have thought it would change somethings along side combining forces with that other software modular company,
but i still havent heard a massive moog emulation or a decent oberhim pad coming from a reaktor 5 ens
Old 21.09.2005, 01:27 PM

The reason why people buy the Virus (or in my view should buy the Virus) is if they are after dark electronic synth sounds. Bright/crisp sounds are definitely not its strength - in fact its beyond the synths reach. EQing the sound will not in my mind make up the deficit. The reason the Virus is loved so much is because it offers something completely different to what the Nords and JP's offer.

My view is this (and I maybe totally wrong/talking out of my arse): The Virus sounds dark because Access tried eliminate the audiable effects of aliasing oscilators. Remember, back in 1997 aliasing oscilators were the norm - by suppressing certain frequencies i.e. the higher ones....you could potentially reduce audiable breakup. Its ironic that this in turn contributed to the Virus's tone....a tone that many hold in high regard.

Having said all that...the virus at this stage might not be the synth for you...that doesnt matter. I suspect (like me) that the virus was/is currently your only synth. Dont fall for the fallacy that one synth can do everything - no synth can.

I sold my Virus KC back in September '04 partly because its tone frustrated me....and yes you guessed it....it was my only synth I had back then (I'd sold all my analog synths to a m8 - a decision I regret to this day... alas). Now that I've just recently bought a Yamaha DX7MKIIFD I have all the bright, speaker shattering crispness I need. Now that I have that area of sound covered....Im seriously reconsidering the Virus TI. I feel that both will compliment each other very well. At a later stage (once im out of University) I'll re-equip myself with some nice analog poly's and mono's.

My final thought is: The Virus tone is unique and unequalled in many respects. Only when you have other synths covering other areas will you appreciate the Virus for what it is and what it does. In my opinion the Virus bridges the gap between birght FM sounds and old analogs.

Does this help you in anyway? Are you still thinking of selling it? Tip from me...selling gear to buy new gear has no real benefits and YOU WILL LOOSE LOTS OF MONEY. It might be better to grit your teeth until you can afford another synth....if only I had realised this earlier.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....