Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 18.09.2005, 01:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to core7 Send a message via MSN to core7 Send a message via Yahoo to core7
Default I'm so tempted to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vermona-DRM1-MKI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 18.09.2005, 03:24 AM
This forum member lives here

A friend of mine has one, but I didnt get to hear it properly...looks pretty cool though!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 18.09.2005, 04:21 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

I've never heard one, but here's what I would be concerned about: 72 (!) controls. I worry about anything that looks like it might turn my quality studio time into useless hours of knob tweaking. When you mic up a drum kit, for example, as soon as you settle on mic positioning and gear settings, you commit to a somewhat "static" sound. During mixing you can manipulate this, of course, but you're still sculpting from an original sound with some knowledge and theories of how it should be treated. Does this limit you sonically? Of course. But does it demand that you use your resources and proceed in a linear workflow? Yes.

Don't get me wrong, this thing might be really great, but I'm constantly looking for ways to make my workflow as efficient as possible, so I'm not sure I'd like to incorporate something with so much room for redundancy. On the other hand, if you were putting together a sample CD and wanted flexibility, it might be just the ticket. I make my living making *music*, and as such my criteria are different than many people's.

This is probably not the reply you're looking for, I just finished most of a bottle of Pinot Noir over dinner, so I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment...

Speaking of which, I wonder how Merlot's feeling today???
Old 18.09.2005, 06:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to core7 Send a message via MSN to core7 Send a message via Yahoo to core7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
I've never heard one, but here's what I would be concerned about: 72 (!) controls. I worry about anything that looks like it might turn my quality studio time into useless hours of knob tweaking. When you mic up a drum kit, for example, as soon as you settle on mic positioning and gear settings, you commit to a somewhat "static" sound. During mixing you can manipulate this, of course, but you're still sculpting from an original sound with some knowledge and theories of how it should be treated. Does this limit you sonically? Of course. But does it demand that you use your resources and proceed in a linear workflow? Yes.

Don't get me wrong, this thing might be really great, but I'm constantly looking for ways to make my workflow as efficient as possible, so I'm not sure I'd like to incorporate something with so much room for redundancy. On the other hand, if you were putting together a sample CD and wanted flexibility, it might be just the ticket. I make my living making *music*, and as such my criteria are different than many people's.

This is probably not the reply you're looking for, I just finished most of a bottle of Pinot Noir over dinner, so I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment...

Speaking of which, I wonder how Merlot's feeling today???

My thing is................. I have assload upon assload of drum samples, and with all that shit nothing ever catches my fancy, even with the help of Sound Forge, lately I've just been programming all my percussion with my KC and then sequencing to Pro Tools. Anyway, this did appeal to me. I probably wont buy it, but I had a few beers in me and it caught my interest. If I could play with one and really check out the sound........that might persuade me.
Old 18.09.2005, 10:25 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Hmm looks awesome, but I'm a bit concerned about this being so unique compared to all the great stuff allready out there being much cheaper. Should first get a head to head comparison to a cheaper digital drumsynth IMO.

-VR
Old 18.09.2005, 01:29 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

For my money, if you're looking for analog drum sounds, there's Drumkit from Hell Superior has no competition. If you're looking for speed with reasonable sounding results (and don't know much about drum processing), Linplug's RMIV is great. They don't add the flashing lights factor to your studio, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.
Old 18.09.2005, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

I still think NI's Battery is more then half decent along side with their factory sample collection and optional synthetic drums (awesome sample cd!) and endless 3rd party stuff.