Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.09.2005, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to core7 Send a message via MSN to core7 Send a message via Yahoo to core7
Default Waldorf owner's ( or ex-owners )

I was thinking about picking up a Waldorf rack here in a little while, and I was wondering, with Waldorf not being around anymore. ( I heard they went out of buisness ) how is one to go about tech support and things like that. I had heard that some Waldorf owner's had formed a group to help other Waldorf owners with any problems that might come about. I'd also like to hear some opinions on build quality and etc. I've only heard good things about them and I figured one would make a good stable-mate with my KC. thanks.
Old 17.09.2005, 06:36 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you wont get hardware support thats for sure.
the support your talking about is a runing ftp server with the last OS releases for waldorf products,Banks&few additional editing software.

if you find a unit in good shape and in a good price you should defently go for it.
Old 17.09.2005, 12:18 PM
Pro
Pro

I have a Waldorf Pulse and MicroQ in my rack and love them. The build quality is very high. I have never heard that a Waldorf would have broken. I have never had any problems with these. Also the MicroQ's latest OS is good IMO. I don't see any bugs altough somebody say there are. Maybe they are just minor bugs. I feel very lucky that I have both of these modules because you cannot buy them as new anymore (of course). My Pulse was one of the last new Pulses out there. The story of my MicroQ is different. In fact I first bought one as a new, then sold it, bought a second hand microQ and sold it. This third one is also second hand but I won't be selling it anymore. I just didn't see it's potential in the beginning and I didn't have many other synths. Now I like it alot more because I don't have to get every possible kind of sound out of it. Just the sounds which it does the best.

You didn't mention what waldorf you're after...
Old 17.09.2005, 04:40 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Could anyone please describe me the uniqueness of the waldorf (sound) ?

-VR
Old 17.09.2005, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to core7 Send a message via MSN to core7 Send a message via Yahoo to core7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
I have a Waldorf Pulse and MicroQ in my rack and love them. The build quality is very high. I have never heard that a Waldorf would have broken. I have never had any problems with these. Also the MicroQ's latest OS is good IMO. I don't see any bugs altough somebody say there are. Maybe they are just minor bugs. I feel very lucky that I have both of these modules because you cannot buy them as new anymore (of course). My Pulse was one of the last new Pulses out there. The story of my MicroQ is different. In fact I first bought one as a new, then sold it, bought a second hand microQ and sold it. This third one is also second hand but I won't be selling it anymore. I just didn't see it's potential in the beginning and I didn't have many other synths. Now I like it alot more because I don't have to get every possible kind of sound out of it. Just the sounds which it does the best.

You didn't mention what waldorf you're after...

I was thinking of picking up a Q or Micro Q rack. I also wasnt going to rule out an XT or maybe a pulse. Overall product ratings and my budget will determine which one I actually buy.
Old 18.09.2005, 01:03 AM
Pro
Pro

MicroQ sounds digital, has great digital filters and is good in many strange and harder style sounds. Pulse sounds alot warmer and punchier because it's analog. I prefer the sound of Pulse but I do some hard distorted kind of sounds to my projects with microQ.
Old 18.09.2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
MicroQ sounds digital, has great digital filters and is good in many strange and harder style sounds. Pulse sounds alot warmer and punchier because it's analog. I prefer the sound of Pulse but I do some hard distorted kind of sounds to my projects with microQ.
How's the vocoder on the Micro Q? Hopefully better than the one on my KC.
Old 18.09.2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D

One more thing: just how digital does it ( MicroQ) sound? I used to have a Korg MS2000B and of course it was digital ( VA ) but, it sounded kinda thin and somewhat flat, ...... effective somewhat, but it stilll sounded thin. I'm hoping the MicroQ sounds a little better. ( I know this maybe an apples and oranges question, but I had to ask.) thanks.
Old 18.09.2005, 11:57 AM
Pro
Pro

MicroQ is a little thin sounding if compared to JP or some other synths. I had an MS2000 earlier and it's about as thin as the MS. The sound is just different. The sound is also a little spiky sometimes. You can get some warm sounds out of this too if you use unison or modulations but the basic sound is a little thin. I wouldn't buy microQ/Q to be the only synth but if you have some other synths already, go for it. It can do some really good sounds. The features are good and the filters sound great.
Old 18.09.2005, 02:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

if you would consider software u-he's "Filterscape" is a very unique sounding VA,it might not be the perfect "Trance Machine" as the JP but if your looking for a different VA sound,this is it.

http://www.u-he.com/filterscape/

to mac owners:
they also have a mac supported only ( ) semi modular synth called "Zebra" which i heard is amazing.