Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.05.2009, 02:08 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Send a message via AIM to DriftaDNB Send a message via MSN to DriftaDNB
Default Adichigahara's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZ7q3elU3w

The bass sound at 0:35 - HOW THE FUCK!?!?!?!?

Help anyone? Please!
Old 26.05.2009, 01:43 AM
Am starting to like this forum

All it is is a fat sin/lowpassed saw wave for the sub part of the bass. I'm assuming you're talking about the tops on it though mainly, in which case it's a super simple formula to get the actual sound and the real flavor comes from how it's modulated.

basically you start with some saw waves detuned to taste. Add some distortion, then some phaser/chorus/notch filter/flanger/whatever phasey effect you think sounds good. Then more distortion, then more phasey stuff, more distortion, more phasey, etc etc etc. Once you get to the point where you're happy with what you've got bounce it to audio and load it up in a softsampler like kontakt or something and start playing around with some filter modulation stuff. Sounds like he's just playing fairly low notes and has the whole sound highpassed to get it nice and squelchy.

edit:

it's pretty much the same process you'd use to make a dark dnb style reece/bassline, posted some other tips in a thread here a few weeks back:

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30924
Old 06.03.2010, 01:08 AM
Pro
Pro

I attended this guy (Shock One) lecture in Perth at SAE - he showed us how he did the sub and bass lines for this track. It is actually just a sampled bass sound that he got from somewhere - it looks like a HUGE block wave and is literally just a big slammed wave of sub bass.. The synths were done in NI Massive and zeta.

Was awesome lecture btw - learnt more in 6 hours then I did in 2 years studying at WAAPA.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 29.03.2010, 10:59 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
I attended this guy (Shock One) lecture in Perth at SAE - he showed us how he did the sub and bass lines for this track. It is actually just a sampled bass sound that he got from somewhere - it looks like a HUGE block wave and is literally just a big slammed wave of sub bass.. The synths were done in NI Massive and zeta.

Was awesome lecture btw - learnt more in 6 hours then I did in 2 years studying at WAAPA.
wow..we never had any Electronic music producers come lecture us at SAE Byron Bay....
lucky guys...
Old 29.03.2010, 01:03 PM
Pro
Pro

I dont do an SAE course (doing a Music Tech degree at WAAPA in Perth) - it was actually a one off public lecture. 60 bucks for 6 hours . Fucking ace.

SAE has the most outrageous fees and a horrific rep here in Perth.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/