Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 07.05.2013, 07:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep! I'm sort of happy with it! But the X/Y pad is totally useless like you know! And the pads are a sad joke also, only usable for triggering on/off buttons or clips in ableton! The rest is fine, I usually use the faders to control amp env and filter env - otherwise I wouldn't get those used either.
Old 07.05.2013, 08:34 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yep! I'm sort of happy with it! But the X/Y pad is totally useless like you know! And the pads are a sad joke also, only usable for triggering on/off buttons or clips in ableton! The rest is fine, I usually use the faders to control amp env and filter env - otherwise I wouldn't get those used either.
Yeah, I don't plan to use the X/Y pad or the drum pads at all (have Maschine for percussive things). Funny thing is I didn't think I would use the faders much, but I think I'm preferring them to knobs for many things. Not sure if it will remain that way or not. Another surprise is that I thought the endless encoders would have that firm-clicky feel like my old Remote did, but that's not the case, they feel very fluid, such that I could use them or pots without really caring which. Key action is perfect and I love the stick!

But you're right, there are surprisingly few options out there. There was a time when I was really eyeballing the Akai Max series, but I don't think they even make a 61 key, I don't need good drum pads, and now that I have a good touch fader on one of my Yahama CMC controllers as a reference point, I would absolutely not accept a touch fader as a substitute for real faders or knobs. Glad I dodged the Akai purchase.

Very happy with the controller overall, even if I don't get back around to Automap. Maybe I will, who knows.
Old 07.05.2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, as far as the keyboard goes it's really top notch! The joystick I really like it to, even though for some uses having the two wheels is better.

Absolutely love the MIDI interface on this thing! It's the best I've seen and that was also a big factor for me. Wish they'd get rid of the non sense features like the X/Y pad, leave the color pads for Ableton's dedicated controllers like the Launch Pad, and focus on a keyboard thought for controlling hardware and software synthesizers instead with better quality (even better) knobs and faders, and perhaps even CV input and output.

And... A full featured Arp/Sequencer of course. If you want to implement extra features, this is a good idea for any controller - specially if it's got good midi and cv connectivity!

Good build quality, a layout that resembles the best synthesizer examples and features for keyboard musicians that are serious would make my day!
Old 07.05.2013, 11:37 PM

Just incase you've encountered this particular issue: when I turn on Automap mode, and turn Learn mode on, it says touch the control on the keyboard (which I do and it works fine), then it says click the DAW parameter and never seems to pick up the interaction with the DAW.

Any ideas? I guess I could ask Novation support, but I just had a multi-day wait from them on an UltraNova question so I don't feel like spinning that one up right now really, and it's not a deal breaker for me because I've found I like running it in Advanced Mode and just mapping to MIDI CC via Cubase quick controls. Their how-to videos on Youtube with regard to Cubase are worthless.
Old 07.05.2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran
Veteran

It's the other way around: you need to touch the parameter on the software and only then touch the physical control. If you open Automap's window, there's a menu there for installing it for your DAW of choice, with step-by-step tuturial - worked fine for Logic. It's ideal to get it fully configured because that's how you get to browse your instruments and fx and it picks the stuff you open instantly as well - if that option is selected.
Old 08.05.2013, 01:45 AM

The way it works on mine is as I described above. I press Learn, and the little popup will say to touch a kbd control, which I do, then it says click in the DAW. If I did the reverse, it will never get past the popup that tells me to click a control first, because it's never going to receive the DAW click even if it did want things in reverse order. Hope that makes sense.
Old 08.05.2013, 03:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, makes sense. But it's the other way around at least when working with logic. I need to touch the desired parameter first, then touch the control. Bet it's just a difference in the software we use.

But thinking about your problem. I know I had to configure the controller in Logic so that it would pick up stuff correctly - I followed the step-by-step thing I talked about. You probably need to check some options on the automap program itself, maybe the midi channels being used as well. Don't know, but it's something like that for sure. I'm pretty sure you'll get that sorted pretty fast. You're using Cubase on a PC, right?
Old 08.05.2013, 04:03 AM

Yeah, and there's one potential clue that I'm wondering about -- when you set up the MIDI port connections in Cubase, the official Novation video shows the Remote SL MKII as having an entry for Port 1 and Port 2, where as I only see an entry for the Remote SL MKII with no mention of ports. That could be simply because something has been updated since the video made, or it could be a clue to the issue.

The other thing that is different before (my old Remote 49 with FLStudio for example) is that I've got way more MIDI enabled devices now, with the UltraNova and the CMC controllers and so forth. It could be a config issue or some sort of conflict that I'm overlooking due to the sheer amount of stuff to wade through.

But if it were a conflict it seems like there would be an issue with using Advanced mode on the board. This is clearly an Automap related issue, because without that I'm able to use things fine enough. The real motivation in getting Automap working would be mostly to be able to switch between using the faders for DAW mixer track control versus plugin control, and just for the gratification of getting everything working. I could live with it fine enough the way it is -- I wasn't even using Automap before. But something about my (tenacious I guess) nature makes me not want to give up on this until I understand all the details at least.
Old 08.05.2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, I didn't install following those videos on their website. It's moved to the application, I think it should be allocated next to the clock on a windows environment as well. There's a menu there where it shows the digital audio workstations installed on the system, and those that are already configured for automap. Once you select one and choose "configure" or something like this, it will present you with step-by-step instructions for properly setting up the Remote on the system. I also have the tiny Nocturn and it works seamlessly with both. I use the later for fx sends, like you'd do in a real mixer and stuff like that, and usually use the Remote just for hands on control of the synthesizers with personalized templates.

Take your time to explore the options within the Automap application as there's a lot there. For example, if I use the small Nocturn controller to control Traktor, it doesn't even use Automap, it's a user bank template and another kind of configuration is needed for this. I remember I had to turn down some options in order for it to pick up the instrument as a regular midi controller and not through the automap hub - which I think replaces regular midi in some way. But once you set it up and record it, it's always there with its name for later use and works very well.

You can adjust the pressure sensitivity on the pads to, even though it never gets anywhere near as sensitive as the pads on Maschine - but it's useful even for using it with Live if you're planning to use it for gigs.
Old 08.05.2013, 04:51 PM

Well I tried screwing around with this a bit more, including a complete factory reset, reinstall of the OS to the MKII etc, just to be sure none of my early experimentation got in the way of progress.

I've got it such that the Automap software does now recognize both the DAW click and the HW control touch, but after trying to assign it will still say control not assigned. Everything has been set up by the book according to instructions.

Let me ask you this, when you're in Automap mode on the MKII, does your plugin indicate you're receiving MIDI data? (I assume here you have a plugin wrapper provided by the DAW that adds a few extra menu items to each plugin... Some DAWs have a MIDI recv indicator light elsewhere).

When it's in Advanced mode, the light shows recv. With Automap mode, it stays dark for me.