Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 22.08.2006, 10:37 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

hmm ribbon tweeter... possibly nice.

My suggestion is never pick a monitor before listening to it and if you canlisten to it in your studio before buying.
Old 25.08.2006, 09:01 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

I've been advised to go for these Alesis M1 Mk2 Actives for my (rather shitty) budget of ?200:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/product...20Active%20Mk2

Any thoughts on these guys?

cheers!
Old 26.08.2006, 08:39 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

my friend uses em. well the passive version. actually 2 of my friends use those. mind u, 2 of my friends also use tannoy's
Old 11.09.2006, 09:06 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default Re: What's a good monitor these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones
I've been using a pair of Mackie HR824s for a few years now and really need to trade them in - they're just too powerful (and insanely loud) for my new apartment (already had the neighbors banging on my floor). So I am looking for something in the same price rang (say between $1,000 and $1,500) that is smaller than the 824s, but that is known for very good translation and ultimately sound really well. Any suggestions?

Yep for definate, accurate as hell really and sound nice, the dynbaudio bm6a monitors are excellent. By the way a lot of people aggree that the mackie monitors are pretty accurate but the stupidly hyped bass and treble makes them hard on the ears after a couple of hours and the only way to get round the hyped bass and treble is to get shed loads of bass trapping and mid/high frequency absoption in your studio. It is possible to do accurate mixes on them but they are just good for cinema surround sound systems cos of the the stupid amount of bass and harsh treble.

I use to have some and loved them but after about 2 hours my ears ached and I couldnt get my songs to sound right using them so now i've got dynaudio bm15a monitors and they are just mackie eaters. They eat mackie monitors for breakfast and I can do a 10 hour studio session and my ears still won't ache at all. The dynaudio bmga's are like that in every way I think apart from the fact that the bm15a's go down to about 35hz and the bass is amazingly well controlled. God I love my bm15a's.

But the bm6a's are in your quoted price range.
Old 12.09.2006, 08:04 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

i auditioned the mackie hr824's and i didn't find them as acurate or warm sounding as my tannoy's

heck i picked these speakers over GENELEC's!
Old 12.09.2006, 10:42 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

You picked the tannoys over genelec? Ok, well everyone has their own idea of what sound they like. The mackie in the general studio aren't accurate at all. When I say they are accurate I mean you need loads of bass trapping, and I mean a hell of a lot, and to pull them well away from the sides and backs of the studio walls and bass roll of switch to 47hz just to tame that silly amount of bass which makes most people cut the bass out of their track and end up up with hardly any bass in their tracks due to them having to compensate for the mackie's bass levels.

They're home party speakers really. Thats what I would class them best as or cinema surround front speakers. And tannoys, I don't like them myself but thats me.
Old 19.10.2006, 05:01 PM

yeaaaaahhh, I'm definitely gonna be a happy BM6A owner in one or two weeks!!!!!!!

Cheers mates,