Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 09.03.2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
<-- Friday, Ghost day.
Are you getting the LE or the one with Automation???? I wanted to get the Le32 but apparently they stopped making these....
It'll be a second-hand 24 channel LE. I originally thought the Automated version had VCA automation, but this wasn't the case (the full version has only automated MMC, midi mutes, and mute-groups) so hopefully I'll not regret losing those functions.

32 channels, however, would eclipse my bedroom, lol.

With the monitor channels patched in the 24-channel should allow for 48 input channels plus 4 stereo returns and tape-ins (a total of 58 channels! 8O) at any one time, i think. In addition to hardware synths/effects, am hoping to output eight channels from my computer to the console with eight going back into the computer for the best of hybrid hardware/software worlds.... I desperately need a computer upgrade and a new soundcard for that though!

Quote:
Cant find a used one here in Australia either.....would love to have 32 faders for mixdown time!!!
I looked on ebay over the past year or so, watching a good few Soundtracs mixers and Ghosts going through, just to see what the score was, but I never went for them as I never really knew if they'd been looked after, or what condition I'd receivec them in.

Instead I went for purchasing it from a "Soundtracs" console engineer who buys (all analogue) consoles and services them for a living. So it should get here in good condition, touch wood, and I'll have a place to go to for lifetime servicing or advice if anything goes wrong. I wouldn't like to have something like a console posted, as stuff gets bashed, so am picking it up myself.

For those in the UK, the guy's website is http://www.studiosys.demon.co.uk/consoles.htm , which is mainly Soundtracs stuff, but he services and buys other mixers too http://www.studiosys.demon.co.uk/other_mixers.htm

Originally I was looking for a Soundtracs (Topaz Project-8 ), but the Aux arrangement and EQ functionality of the Ghost appears a lot more flexible. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
I hear these Ghost consoles are quite transparent
eheh.

[edit, pesky bbcode]
Old 09.03.2005, 03:03 PM

Its all software Juho? Why do that.....software is pretty dull.....

Talk about a passion killer. For that money Id buy one decent analog poly, mono and decent VA. The rest on outboard, FX and drum machine.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 09.03.2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I think (hope!) there would be great things to be said with mixing with your ears and fingertips, not your eyes on a computer screen with mouse glued in hand. I abhor the latter, hence the mixer purchase.

Having said that, it'd be great to pipe out a few channels from your computer out onto a desk to get everything to interact and gel, fusing it together with all your hardware gear.
Old 09.03.2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
think (hope!) there would be great things to be said with mixing with your ears and fingertips, not your eyes on a computer screen with mouse glued in hand. I abhor the latter, hence the mixer purchase.
Sounds like you have tried software setup without a soundcard. Hoho.

Edit: By the way what's the difference in looking at a mixer on a screen or a mixer on real life? The view is exactly the same except on software you also see the FX loop on the same compact screen. And what's the difference between moving a mixer slider and MIDI controller slider?

The bitter truth is that hardware is annoying. "Maybe I'll pause this project for a while and continue one previous project... Whopee! I wonder how these sliders and FX were... Damn, can't remember. I love hardware!"
Old 09.03.2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

>>Sounds like you have tried software setup without a soundcard. Hoho.

A 58 input soundcard.... mmm, where can I get one of those? ho ho

>>Edit: By the way what's the difference in looking at a mixer on a screen or a mixer on real life?

I think you just answered it.

Semantics and personal preferences, but what's the point of just "looking" at a mixer? Wouldn't you want that screen to be at least touchscreen and 40" widescreen?

A real mixer.... Instant access tweakol?, no scrolling, no mouse-pointing, no sub-menus, no tiny buttons, no fancy graphics, no software incompatibilities, no crappy EQ, no digital summing, no lack of headroom, no digital clipping, no lack of mic-pre's, no system resources, no Microsoft operating systems, no Steinbugs, no driver updates, no error messages, no internet connection, etc. etc.....

>>The bitter truth is that hardware is annoying. "Maybe I'll pause this project for a while and continue one previous project... Whopee! I wonder how these sliders and FX were... Damn, can't remember. I love hardware!"

lol

Hopefully it'll encourage me to finish one tune before going on to the next.

--------

Nah, I'm being pedantic. In truth, it's going to be used as a glorified soundcard, integrating hardware and multi-channel software. I couldn't live without a computer for audio!!!
Old 09.03.2005, 05:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Its all software Juho? Why do that.....software is pretty dull.....

Talk about a passion killer. For that money Id buy one decent analog poly, mono and decent VA. The rest on outboard, FX and drum machine.

DS
i think with juno's digital software setup he might finish a whole album mixed and ready 4 mastering by the time you will say :"comon lads lets start do some jaming"
hardware realy makes stuff take longer...
have said that digital mixers/control surfess with automation is the ultimate way to mix...
Old 09.03.2005, 05:43 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
have said that digital mixers/control surfess with automation is the ultimate way to mix...
haha, um...no. The ultimate way to mix is with a world class analog console. SSL ring any bells? You might not be able to own one, but you can rent a day at a studio that has one and do your mixing (or better yet, have your mixing done) there...it'll kick digital's ass six ways from Sunday.
Old 09.03.2005, 06:49 PM
Pro
Pro

Hardware synths are under control as long as you don't record them to audio. Earlier I always recorded my synths to audio and then took another patch and recorded it and so on.. Now I DON'T record anything. I control all my synths from logic audio and automate cutoff's etc. I still store the patches in my synths' own memory but I give every midi track a name of the synth & used patch so I always know what patch was used for the track.

All my synths are directly connected to a multi input audio interface and I use software effects for the hardware synths too, like TC reverbs & UAD comps. It's (like) using hardware quality synths & fx in software domain. I don't feel much difference anymore whether I am using a software synth or a hardware synth in a project because they work flawlessly together. It depends on the style you're producing but in my case I usually still get better sounds from hardware than native software.
Old 09.03.2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Spot on post.

MMm,, UAD-1, gas! gas!
Old 09.03.2005, 10:36 PM

I think from a musicians point of view (Juho) the all software option is a better one....but from an engineers point of view, we could never go past hardware (Mixers, FX/Dynamics processing, Synths?)

Software sure makes life a little easier....but it isnt quite there yet in terms of sound quality (and Vibe!). Why do you think all (Alot) of big-name artists will record in digital, then for mixdown, hire a Neve room (or SSL, if thats your thing). Cos they sound foockin' hot! It's the best of both worlds!

My ideal would be a HD system with top notch converters, with vintage pre's (Courtesy of the Studer) and then an analogue desk (and outboard) for mixdown.

I could spend $4000 on a Tascam control surface for 24 faders......or I could spend that $4000 on a Nuemann Mic and boutique preamp. I know what I would rather have....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60