Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.12.2004, 08:49 PM
This forum member lives here

Glad you sorted this 3o3. From reading your first couple of posts....it sounded real bad. Have no fear....computers somtimes mess up....but remember....theres nothing in a computer that cant be replaced!

Merry xmas hurray

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 16.12.2004, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

Thanks DS.

Yah, computers really act strange sometimes - however i still think its hillarious that the tech-guy still wonders how i even was able to boot the r computer up in the first place.

Althou i should sell this and get cv/gate-sequencers instead. now there is something that really holds for you

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 16.12.2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
I am so happy today (again) - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. A new graphiccard, ram and (if he could find) another CPU. + i didn't need to pay for it. (Even if i wouldnt pay for the insurance and so on, since it wasnt my fault after all)
All's well that ends well! Nice to hear it all was sorted. Fuckin computers (no matter what company builds them Jase - hehe).

So I'm guessing we will hear some nice tracks from 303 in the near future then?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 17.12.2004, 04:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
...What he needed to was to; change the 256meg RAM-card which was faulty...
It's rare but I have had SIMM/DIMMs go bad in the past and sometimes they contine to actually function but just randomly corrupt memory. That inevitably means the OS will have a stroke and start grinding up the data on disk. Once the registry and system key are messed up, it's done.

I am on my third Mac and probably my 10th PC. They are commodities. OSX (even Panther) just doesn't aspire to do what Windows does, that is, be the bitch of every piece of spyware and maladjusted shareware that comes down the pike, so it tends to go longer between siezures.

My original Mac, however -- a PowerMac 6?00 with a PPC 604 (upgraded later to a G3 card) -- threw a motherboard and hard drive about a week out of warranty. To their credit, the Apple support guy on the phone made the call and my baby was fully restored, $0.

My Newton 2001 (still have it, ashamed to show it) developed some irregularities once and I got good help from a nice college girl on Apple support somewhere the midwest. After we took care of that, we chatted on their dime for, like, two hours more (sounded hot, at least).

Weird company, let's just say that. Meanwhile, I've had about five Dells, most of which have developed issues at some point or another, but I've always opted for their on-site support and they show up all neat and tidy at my house and set everything straight (what's not to like?).
Old 17.12.2004, 08:50 AM

Thats strange.....ive always bought Dell and never had any issues with them. I still think they are the most reliable pc out there.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 17.12.2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Thats strange.....ive always bought Dell and never had any issues with them. I still think they are the most reliable pc out there.

DS
Being in IT for a while I would say that, compared to say Gateway or a lot of screwdriver shop units, they are more reliable. That said, it's a good plus that their service is very responsive *and* they sell all of their refurbished/returned/demo units off of their website.
Old 17.12.2004, 06:53 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS

DS
I love my dell!!

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=dell+9100/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=11q15esqs/*-http%3A//www.onlinekosten.de/news/bilder/9100_front.jpg[/img]
Old 17.12.2004, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I think getting a brand computer is a mistake. A better way is to write down a list of requirements for a computer and tell pro people at computer store (a good and real computer store) to compile one for you. This way you get exactly what you want and need.
Old 17.12.2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
I think getting a brand computer is a mistake. A better way is to write down a list of requirements for a computer and tell pro people at computer store (a good and real computer store) to compile one for you. This way you get exactly what you want and need.
At least in the states, the cost of a branded machine -- esp. a Dell -- that's close enough to what you want (and there are a lot of options, even with those) is usually less. On top of that, the support infrastructure of a company like that can't be overlooked.

Dell service people have come to a hotel room of mine thousands of miles from my home to fix something. I've had two displays and two keyboards go on my PowerBook G4 (toddler damage) and Apple got the unit back to me -- via overnight shipping -- in three days every time.
Old 18.12.2004, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Mcoyote wrote:
On top of that, the support infrastructure of a company like that can't be overlooked.
Dell's consumer service is great but they suck when it comes to servicing their corporate accounts.

My Dad, brother, wife and I sold turnkey optical imaging systems in the mid nineties and every time our clients wanted new PCs we sold them Dells as we loved them.

A client of ours in Fort Worth Texas wanted 28 PCs each with an Adaptec SCSI card to control a scanner and an internal Iomega JAZ Drive for file storage.

My wife and I were checked into two adjoining hotel rooms, one for u, one for our PC customization/assembly zone.

Here comes the delivery truck, out come 56 boxes (28 PCs + 28 Monitors).

Dell delivered the wrong F*CK*&G PCs!

There was no 5 1/4 inch expansion bay to install the internal JAZ drives.

I told the truck driver to wait and called our Dell rep.

He said "Oh my God, I'm terribly sorry."

I said: "How long will it take you to make 28 new PCs to our original specifications?"

He said: "1 week"

I said: "OK, great start the order."

He said: "I can't start the order without a deposit."

I said: "You dumb *@&@%!$!&!!" We paid you in full for 28 PCs and you @%!#$@ them up; there is your deposit."

He said: "I need those back in our inventory before I can use that money as a deposit to start a new order."

I said: "Well I'm sending these 28 PCs back with the driver."

He said: "He's not a DELL employee; he's an independent subcontrator; you will have to pay for the shipping."

I about lost my fucking wits. There I was in Ft. Worth Texas about 6 hours drive from DELL's fucking HQ, they screwed up my order of 28 PCs, and they weren't going to cut a new order or pay for the return shipping ($1,400 next day because of the weight) of the original deal.

I told him I would see him the next day.

I rented a U-Haul truck for $85. I loaded the 28 PCs into it and drove from Ft. Worth to Austin (6 hours) to Dell's main facility. I pulled my little truck around the back of their super complex and backed it into a loading dock; blocking 2 other trucks that were trying to deliver parts. Some asshole dock foreman came out and told me to move my vehicle. I told him I wanted to see my rep, get my PCs that they fucked up credited to my account, and see that the new order of 28 was underway and would be drop shipped to my client in less than the week they told me over the phone.

The guy shit he was so mad because I was blocking his loading zone. I lit up a cigarrette, leaned against my U-Haul and hung out for about 20 minutes until my rep (pale white) and his manager (beet red with anger) came out to the loading area and took care of me. They couldn't believe that I did that. I read them both the riot act.

I'll never buy a DELL again; just for the principle of the situation.

They are great PCs though.

-AlexHall74