Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.12.2004, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

Going from happy to extremly sad, disapointed and mad.

Why? The computer didn't even work for 24 hours. - and no i am not kidding.

-"Errr.. what are you talking about 3o3?".

Long story short; i was installing Reason + Cubase. All of the sudden the computer starts to load and load and load and load and load (you get the picture). Since it has a feature called something like; Cool and quiet which means that whenever the CPU isn't used 100% it goes down in speed - it clocks down which prolongs the life of the CPU. And i start to think; hey it's alright - it's all good, an installation can't take 100% of an AMD 64 3200+ CPU.

So i go an watch some television, when i come back it says -> "Windows can't locate blablabla.dll - please use checkdisc to see what's wrong". I press "Ok" and press the start-menu, which works fine and whenever i try to click any of the icons the all the 'links' starts to jump 'around'.

That's odd to say the least. I'll just find the program thru "This computer" on the desktop instead - now this i shouldn't have done. I press it and it comes up; "Major fault in windows xp blablabla press ok" "Ok" "Windows can't locate veryimportantfile.dll press ok" "Ok" "Windows is missing muliple .dll files press ok" "O...." *beep*.

Errrrrrrrrrrr....... what the fuck? I press the powerbutton; nothing happends. I wait like 10 minutes and all of the sudden the computer reboots.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... does this thing have it's own little life?

Everything seems fine until when it's about to open start XP up. *beep*. It takes about 3 minutes for it all of the sudden to reboot again; Aha - faulty powersupply? After going thru the computer i can assure it isn't any virus first of all. It's not the powersupply either. So i think; i'll just let this be and let my brother have a go and see if he can find the fault.

Aha; The windows XP installation is corrupted (oh, i do hate windows xp).
We install windows 2000 pro instead; it works great for about 20 minutes when all of the sudden the same problem. but this time i get the error; "Can't read from C:\????" Errrrrrrrrr.. Now i am starting to get really pissed at this computer

We reboot it again; what happends now it can't find the harddrive. We check bios and it finds the harddrive. We reboot. It can't find the harddrive . we check the bios it finds the harddrive.

It reboots ok, but this time it claims that i've got an CPU with the lightning-speed of 100MHZ. and this time it isn't the cool and quiet-feature since we un-checked the box.

All of the sudden it wants to reboot - sure thing; when it reboots it can't find any OS-installation whatsoever. I put the windows 2000-cd back in and guess what? my harddrive is completly empty. Aha! Faulty harddrive. Oh no since the installation goes smooth and it works but now it claims that the CPU running at a even lightning speed of 101mhz. Aha! faulty CPU? Oh no. Reboot and it works fine. but now the RAM is missing instead claming that i've only got a whopping 32megs of ram. Aha! Faulty ram? Oh no. Aha doesn't get enough power from the outlet i am using? Oh no. That doesn't work either.

I call the support now because i am so _pissed_ off. "Have you checked that the computer wasn't faulty when you got it?" "How am i supposed to check any hardware problems without booting the computer up?" "Well, did you see any visible damages to the computer." "Errr.. no, if i've would have seen it i would have sent it back to you". "Thats good" "Errr. yes, since i am not going to pay for anything that's broken" "Well, it's not broken.. you just gotta install everything correct" "Yes, i know that - and that's why i got my brother here who works as an computer-tech." "That's good, let me talk to him instead".

We follow his direction and do _everything_ he says. Still the same problem. from each reboot i get another hardware-problem so in the end the computer-tech says that we should flash the motherboard with a new bios instead. We do that. guess what? it didn't help at all. We have tried alot of different versions of windows xp/2000/NT- we have even tried installing win98. and still it doesn't work.

And all of this the tech-guy at the company said that we should do - now the even more funny part.

I've spent 10 minutes in telephone with them and after alot of fighting i get this answer from my demand (which is give me an computer that works); Since you installed windows 2000 on it and it came with windows XP you gotta pay for a new Windows XP licence and the cost of sending your new computer out, sending your old computer back here and the insurance-cost.

Which comes to around 4900:- SEK. My rent is 4500:- SEK. I get 8200:- SEK / month. It's fucking x-mas coming up aswell. Fucking hell. I am so fucked up mad right now.

How the hell could i see that the whole computer was faulty without even starting the fucking think up first? it didn't have any bumps/scratchmarks or anything that could be the reason for the faulty hardware _inside_(since not even the tech-guy at the company couldn't come to any other conclusion that it's gotta be some major hardware-fault in the computer).

I am trying to find the number to where you can call if you feel that you have been mistreated by a store. I can't remember what it's called again.

Right now the computer wont shut off aswell as boot up properly for me so it just stands there looking like crap.

This for me is another reason _why_ computer should be banned from my home. I am so unlucky with computers.

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 16.12.2004, 10:10 AM

Man.....at this point in time I would really love to talk about MacOS, and go on and on about how PC's are crap (unless someone who knows their shit w/audio built it) BUT......I wont!

I know you've heard it all before.......

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate....Im sure you will sort it out soon

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 16.12.2004, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Arf, that's no problem mate. I've had really unusual problems with a mac aswell.

Computers hate me. And i hate them. But for some odd reason things are looking abit brighter for me now.

They called me back and said that i should do some more tests and if those doesn't work. They'll send a person to pick it up and i'll get a new computer and a 'bonus' since they said; we have experienced some problems with this configuration so maybe there is a hardware-fault somewhere

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 16.12.2004, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Bonus?

Tell them to throw in a copy of Native Instruments Komplete 2 and a six pack of beer and then they can call it even.

-AlexHall74
Old 16.12.2004, 01:17 PM
Administrator

This is really strange. Seems like 3o3 is a man of misfortune. He always has totally rotten luck with everything.
Old 16.12.2004, 01:23 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

I had some skeptisism when I bought a Dell Inspiration 9100 series about 2 1/2 months ago but it hasn't given me a problem yet. It is a beast,

2.8 Ghz
1 Gig ddr ram
60 gig 7200 rpm Harddrive
Windows XP Home

and for sound card/ midi controller is use a M-Audio Ozone.
Old 16.12.2004, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Alex: They have offered me: 512ram + a better graphiccard.

Juho: I am not kidding. I am no angel but whatever i did to get this kind of luck is way beyond me, I just don't get it.

Nigel: Congrats that your computer is working alot better than mine.

Anyways, the tech-guy was here and left the problem is a faulty motherboard so he is even unsure why the computer even started in the first place. Odd.

Anyways, I still gotta think about their offer. I feel that even if its a really good bonus i'll get; what if the next computer has some faults in it aswell? I mean they didn't offer me anything before i threatend to call that thing where you can turn as a customer if the deal has gone wrong.

Well, yesterday was a day of celebration, today is a day of sadness. So i'll stick with my beer + celebrate my girlfriends birthday

Edit: Ms Fortuna really don't like me at all. Like i said before; i am going way back in technology - I am thinking of getting rid of the electrics in this apartment - that way no other electronic appliance can break, but the the home will probably burn down to the ground due to the fact that i gotta have candles for my source of light during the evenings

Old 16.12.2004, 03:15 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

3o3 - sorry about my post didn't mean to boast, I kind of left the question out: is this a name brand computer or built for audio specifically?
Old 16.12.2004, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Nigel: Oh hehe. I didn't mean it like that - I mean that its great that your computer is working nice.

It's a modified name brand computer. I changed to motherboard to be more suitable for audio since the original was really bad. And what i got was the motherboard that was supposed to sit in there if i _didnt_ modify it.

But the tech-guy thought that the motherboard itself looked really odd - and he changed it so it's up and running again the computer; but it seems to be a really unstable configuration right now. He still gets that odd "Can't read from the harddrive"-error so it seems like the harddrive is busted aswell. Since everytime we install any OS whatsoever it boots up perfect after about 20 minutes it gets a cant load .dll file "ok" and it reboots and it cant boot up properly but it finds the harddrive in the bios + it formats itself all the time. I am not kidding; the tech-guy is looking like a questionmark himself; he got spare-parts here with him, but he is trying to figure out what parts are damaged besides the motherboard.

It's a disaster acctually; i feel quite down for it. but i know it will be alright in the end (it usually works out just fine) but i what i really hate is the simple fact; you buy something for quite alot of money and it breaks in no time.

I'll give the company a call again and see what more i can get out of this situation.

Old 16.12.2004, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

About 390 minutes ago the tech-guy left; and guess what? my computer works again!!!!!

Wohoo. What he needed to was to; change the 256meg RAM-card which was faulty, the harddrive which stopped working + motherboard. and he said - I am coming over in a few days upgrading your graphicscard + another 512 ram-card but i'll see if i can find an extra AMD Athlon 3500+ CPU! How's that for an bonus??

I am so happy today (again) - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. A new graphiccard, ram and (if he could find) another CPU. + i didn't need to pay for it. (Even if i wouldnt pay for the insurance and so on, since it wasnt my fault after all)