Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 11.09.2012, 11:49 PM
New here
New here

Default Need Help! Just bought a used Virus KB

OK...so I have been into electronic music for years and decided to start making my own...so I recently bought a used access virus KB, and it's in beautiful mint condition, but I have NO IDEA what to do with it! I am totally lost. I have read the manual, but it doesn't answer any of my questions. How do I connect it to my computer, since it's such an old synth? What cables do I need? Do I need to get a sampler or a mixer or can I just use my computer for that? And would any 1/4 jack headphones work with it?
Any help would be much appreciated,
signed,
the biggest newb ever
Old 12.09.2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Hello!

With what you have right now you won't get much out of it! If you only have the soundcard on your computer, you can connect the outs of the virus to a single stereo jack input - with one of those cables 2 jacks to one, with some adapters (small jack to big)... But to really take advantage of the virus, you should get two things that can come togheter: an audio interface, so you can connect at least a pair of outs from the virus into two ins with dedicaded pre-amps on the soundcard, and a midi interface - so the virus can receive notes from your DAW of choice and record automation, etc. There are models that come with both of these things: audio interface and midi connections in one, so you should maybe look into one of those, I guess... Sound quality will be better, latency shorter, connection granted... But, it's another investment... With what you have and some cables from viru's outs to the input of your soundcard, you can still record the sound from the virus into some Daw, but only real time playing, as it won't be reading notes from the computer... And no LFO synced to tempo song, etc... So yeah, get one of those soundcards with midi interface, take your time and enjoy the learning curve man! Have fun! Hope this helps
Old 18.09.2012, 06:45 AM
New here
New here

Any recommendations on what to get for the audio/midi interface? There are so many out there I don't know what is best...and not sure what one I need. I will only be using my virus with it