Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 17.02.2009, 07:08 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Assigning CC's to other VI's

Hi Guys,

Been messing around with this for quite some time now.
Basically I am just trying to assign the Virus's knobs to control other virtual instruments and plugins.

I've tried this in Live 7.0.14 and PTLE 8.

In Live, I'll setup the midi i/o and turn on midi in, sync, and remote.

When I twist a knob, live doesn't not show any indication of any cc values or midi info being received, however the midi led indicator will light up when I move the pitch or mod wheels and also still respond to the keys note on/off.
I tried restarting Live and it worked momentarily...but then stopped for some reason.

In Pro Tools, I get the same issue... selecting "midi learn" on an instrument or plugin will not assign after moving a knob on the TI.

I'm only running the TI into my computer via USB. Do I need to use an actual midi cable to get the virus to control other VI's?

System:
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 4gig RAM, 128mg pcie gpu, 320gig internal 7200rpm disk, MBox Pro 2, MPTK2, Transfuser,
PTLE 8.0
Live 7.0.14
Logic Pro
Old 19.02.2009, 04:03 PM
Complete Newbie

Is there anyone that can give me any insight into this?? I've searched the boards and haven't found any solution or should I take this to Access Support?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Shouldn't I be able to select an instrument track that's not the VCC, say and "midi learn" its parameters with the virus knobs? Did I miss something in manual?

Do I have to create a dedicated Remote Template?
Old 19.02.2009, 10:32 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Thumbs up

Hi i have just been trying to work this out tonight actually to use my virus in logic....its page 72/73 of the pdf user manual below is what it says

Creating a Remote Template
1) Select a template.
2) Click on a knob
3) Name the knob (click in the Knob Name field)
4) Type in the MIDI string for the parameter you wish to control
5) Name the template (click in the Template Name field)
6) Repeat with remaining knobs as required
7) Save (click on Save tab and choose location)

How to write a MIDI string
Firstly, you will need to consult the user manual of the 3rd party
plug-in you wish to control remotely, in order to find the control-
ler numbers for each parameter.

Let’s say that you want to assign the Cutoff knob of the TI to
control Cutoff in the plug-in, which according to it’s user man-
ual, has MIDI number 70 assigned to it. In this case, type the fol-
lowing into the MIDI STRING field in the REMOTE page:
B0 %70 * (with spaces)

Basically, ‘B0’ makes it a MIDI CC command, where 0 = MIDI
channel 1 (the 16 channels are numbered 0-15). ‘%70’ makes it
controller number 70, and ‘*’ tells it to use the value of the
assigned knob. Don’t worry if you don’t understand the alien
language – it works, and once you’ve done it, it’s easy!

Press Enter on the computer keyboard to confirm the text.*

*When you press Enter to confirm the MIDI String, the text will
be altered to a hexadecimal number – please don’t worry about
this either! The exact description of the current knob behaviour
can be seen below the MIDI string text field.

Assigning the Soft (Value) Knobs
A nice little bonus of the TI’s display is that the names you give
the 3 Soft Knobs will appear in the display.
MIDI Channel Behaviour
Select whether or not the controller messages are sent to the
specific channel as determined by the MIDI string, or whether
this part of the string is ignored, and the messages are sent to
the currently selected channel.

hope this helps im just going to try it now
Old 20.02.2009, 03:17 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Finally i got it done basically im controlling my sampler through logic via usb whilst logic is sending recorded midi events via midi cable from my project and then recording it back into logic in real time manipulating the sounds using the remote function on the virus. Works great now that iv got it all set up

Had a bit of trouble with it at first because it didnt seem to be doing anything logic wasnt picking up the midi signal so i rebooted everything and it seems the virus needs to configure itself with the new patches before it sends the midi messages out on the new template.

Btw sysex iv noticed there are some docs in (if you are on mac) drive/applications/access music/virus TI/remote template helpers/ableton dont know if this will help you out?
Old 20.02.2009, 09:23 PM
Complete Newbie

I'm going to go thru the steps you posted and re-read the manual.

thank you for taking the time to test this out as well and your response.

I'll reply back with my progress.
Old 23.02.2009, 04:48 PM
Complete Newbie

Default Remote Mode

Putting the Virus in Remote Mode works okay with other VI's. Kind of annoying to have to setup unique templates, so I'm going to try and create a template with some generic cc value's and see if it will function as a kind of universal template i can assign to any VI.

Strange tho, cause my buddy that is using live, doesn't have t put the TI into remote mode to be able to assign and control other VI's. Altho... part of his workflow now is to just restart Live and the Virus and for some reason it starts working again temporarily.

^ ^ I'm guessing that the TI wasn't intended to be used as a standalone controller outside of "remote mode" ?
Old 01.10.2012, 05:26 PM
New here
New here

I've been trying to figure out (in vain) how to map a remote template to one of Logic's instruments. I'm following the steps posted in this thread however I cannot get the assignment I make to actually change the parameter I map it to.

Here is what I did
  1. Insert an ES2 on an instrument channel in Logic
  2. Cable that channel in to a monitor in the environment to get the correct midi string - in this case for the filter cutoff I see F 2 31 and for resonance F 2 32.
  3. I then created a new remote template using VC and named it and saved it.
  4. I then clicked the cutoff knob in VC give it a name and entered BF 02 31 * in the 'midi string' data field. The text above says: Control Change Ch 16, 2 49, Value
  5. Select 'Disable Midi channel' ( as I note the F entered above makes the midi string refers to ch 16)
  6. Put Virus into Remote mode then try to use the cutoff knob on the virus to control the cutoff on the ES2. It doesn't work although I do see logic receiving the sysex string in the transport.
  7. I tried rebooting Logic and the Virus.
HELP!! Am I doing something wrong? I've been all over the Logic forum and also searched this forum however I cannot find any more information. I'm sure it must be something simple that I am doing wrong or just something else not mentioned which is specific to Logic? If anyone would be so kind as to shed some light on this for me I would most appreciate it!

Also I do not have my Virus connected with midi cables. From what I have read I should be able to do this with the standard USB connection, is that correct?

Thanks
Derek