Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.11.2009, 12:09 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default How to sidechain without sound.

Can anyone here direct me on how to get the side-chain effect without having the kick drum audible? I know how to do regular side-chaining.
Old 21.11.2009, 03:12 AM
Complete Newbie

I'm going to guess that you mean in Cubase. That's easy. Send the kick drum output to "no bus", and SEND it to the sidechain compressor on the channel of whatever you want to duck. Just guessing that's what you mean
Old 21.11.2009, 04:20 PM
Complete Newbie

whoops. I meant to specify in Logic Studio 8.
Old 21.11.2009, 11:05 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Just create a kickdrum track to use as a sidechain track and mute the track in the sequencer rather than in the mixer.
Old 22.11.2009, 04:35 AM
Complete Newbie

I tried that and it still doesn't work. You think you can be more specific?
Old 22.11.2009, 09:12 AM

Hello,
I don't use Logic but in Cubase I would SEND the signal to the effect with the sidechain input. I would change the SEND to Pre-Fader then turn the fader down.
I would think it was something similar in Logic.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 03.12.2009, 09:33 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Abnorm

I`m experiencing the same problem as Arty here, but I will test this when i get home. I used the sidechaincompressor plugin, which has it`s own bus-es and stuff. but it wasnt working very good.
I to use the sidechain compressor that came with cubase 5, and enabled sidechaining on the channel, but could only get one channel through it. I tried adding more channels to use the same sidechaining "bus" but the other channels didnt output anything.
Probably just a rookie mistake, but I got sick of it and went out for a beer instead
Old 07.12.2009, 03:01 AM

Mmmm...if you can do the regular sidechaining, then all you have to do to get the drum kick track to be inaudible is to mute it in the sequencer track. Create a double, and mute that one instead of the actual drum track.

If your kickdrum sound is coming from an instrument track i.e. a sampler or synth, then you have to first send that sound to a bus track, and then use the sidechain signal from the bus track. Very important.
If you just use an audio track for the kickdrum sound you can skip this part.
Old 07.12.2009, 03:41 PM

basically what synthsonix said in logic if your using a software instrument (ultrabeat/exs24 sampler ect) set the output to a bus then on the bus channel in the mixer set it to "no output"

If its audio just set it to no output then you just have a signal. (Dont mute anything because then there will be no signal to side chain)

if you want to check your getting the side chain signal open a compressor and set it to side chain if you get stuck then you can see the signal easier.

cheers Jamie
Old 14.12.2009, 01:21 PM

Its pretty much what Jamie said, however, you can mute the signal without losing the sidechain if you mute the track in the sequencer, not in the mixer...