Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.02.2016, 05:05 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Virus TI Polar Insides

I have a blown power supply so I have dismantled my Virus.

The power supply is just like a laptop one and has been mounted inside on the base.

MAINBOARD

Virus-TI-mainboard.jpg

OVERALL SHOT

IMG_0780.jpg

BASE WITH ANALOGUE IN/OUTS PLUS POWER SUPPLY

IMG_0766.jpg

POWER SUPPLY

IMG_0773.jpg
Old 29.02.2016, 01:57 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Big thanks for sharing. Have you replaced the PSU yet?

Looks like a similar arrangement to my older Indigo (shown below), complete with laptop-style PSU attached to the chassis base.

Looks like the Polar also has easy access to the CR2032 battery. Another user, Evilgus, was considering replacing his recently: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?p=305995
Old 29.02.2016, 08:19 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Hi
No, I have'nt replaced it yet, still trying to source it. Access sell the external one from their online shop however I don't think that one would fit.
Old 01.03.2016, 09:34 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

That's brilliant!

I usually take things to bit and can't remember how to put them together again!

Hope you get a PSU soon, and please let it know where your sourced it from.

Ian
Old 02.03.2016, 10:57 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I guess I'd better pull my finger out and replace the battery on mine, although, it hasn't actually been playing up, lately. Also keen to see what has been done with my power supply, as it actually has a wall-wart, hard-wired to the rear of the case. (Pretty annoying for transport!) Maybe the original PSU died, so the previous owner found an alternative. Or maybe the early TI models had this setup...?

EG
Old 03.03.2016, 03:27 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgus View Post
I guess I'd better pull my finger out and replace the battery on mine, although, it hasn't actually been playing up, lately. Also keen to see what has been done with my power supply, as it actually has a wall-wart, hard-wired to the rear of the case. (Pretty annoying for transport!) Maybe the original PSU died, so the previous owner found an alternative. Or maybe the early TI models had this setup...?

EG
No, they come like that originally.
Mine will end up the same. The replacement ps doesn't fit inside internal mount.
Old 09.10.2016, 01:32 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Did you manage to replace the damaged power supply? I have a similar issue currently, with my TI not powering up. Where did you manage to purchase the replacement power supply from please?
Old 10.10.2016, 06:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Did you manage to replace the damaged power supply? I have a similar issue currently, with my TI not powering up. Where did you manage to purchase the replacement power supply from please?
I bought the external power supply for the desktop version from Access. I then just plugged it in where the original one connects on the board inside (see the last photo in my original post). The cord and associated transformer then just hangs out the hole where the original plug used to be. Certainly not the most elegant solution but I will never sell my Virus so it's nothing to worry about.
Remember to cable tie the power lead securely inside so it will not get tugged out.
Old 10.10.2016, 11:14 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Hi - yep, I did almost the same thing yesterday.

I decided that (1) given it wasn't working, (2) I couldn't really afford to send it away (+ repair costs), and (3) that my Virus is 8 years old so way out of warranty - I'd open her up and take a look. I have a slightly more powerful power supply, which I tested and which worked perfectly - so, voila!

I get what you mean about the cables, I have concocted a similar solution as the cables wouldn't pass through the existing power chord opening! As you say, not the most elegant solution, but it's one that has worked and I now have a fully functioning TI again!