Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 24.04.2012, 11:35 AM
New here
New here

Default Going insane, why does the arpeggiator not snap to the beat...and sluggish Virus Ti

Hi guys, I'm in contact with Access Support but thought I'd see what you think about this.

Original message at the bottom.

#frustration

p.s. I have reinstalled the OS like he Suggested

VIRUS Ti POLAR 4.5.3.00

Hi there

Unfortunately I'm quickly losing my mind here, and not in a good way..
If I explain my end result hopefully you can help me.

I am a keyboard player. I wish to use my Virus Ti Polar live.
I have a new project with a drummer.
I am playing mostly synth bass on the Virus, although want other Multimode options and have a Nord Stage setup as well.
All I want to do is be able to do is be able to have click track options so I can use the arppegiators on the Virus.

I love my Virus but it is driving me insane.
I have tried using it plugged in to my Macbook Pro using VC in Apple Logic Pro and also Apple Mainstage (better for live performance). But I get a bit of latency and generally I don't feel confident using it live. I have tried different buffer settings, and also the 'Live' mode on VC and the Live mode seems to help sometimes but when I move to a different patch on Mainstage I have to re select Live mode everytime which is impossible in the setup I want where I want to skip between patches quickly.
The main thing that I just cannot believe how unusable is, are the arppegiators. It doesn't seem to snap to the beat, ('quantise to beat'? I see that it used to be a feature but was removed for some reason?)

I have abandoned using it with my laptop for now and I am just trying to using it as a standalone synth. As I mentioned before, it is very sluggish sometimes. Especcially when switching to Multimode and then skipping between Multi patches, and e.g. swithing on arpeggiator, sometimes taking a few seconds to change and enable, by which point i've probably pressed the button again and then it catches up and skips onto the wrong setting. This is impossible for me to use live.

Why does the arppegiator not snap to the beat or give me options to snap to the start of the measure etc.. it is completely useless for what i need, it never seems to sync up to the internal time clock (doesn't match the pulsating virus logo which always seems to be synced up fine when i use it with VC so why does the arp not snap to it!.) I could send click to my drummer fine and the logo groove was perfect but still the arps are out.

Also as mentioned before I am now, because I am trying everything to try and get a usable setup, trying to send midi clock to my drummer's Yamaha DTX electric drum kit 'brain' but even when I diasble sending midi from every 'part' in multimode it stills plays the sounds on his module.
I am now thinking about buying a cheap drum machine that i can send midi clock to but that has no other sounds in it for me to trigger, I just want him to have a click that is perfectly in sync with my Virus so I can use the arpeggiators and they will sit perfectly on the beat. As I say, I love the Virus, but why am I finding this so difficult, I am very proficient in using synths standalone and with DAW and I feel I have tried everything. Basically I just need the arpeggiator to sync properly and snap to the beat, not just playing at the moment I play the note.

thanks for your help

Grant

p.s. sorry for the long email, just frustrated and it is holding me back creatively

On 30 Mar, 2012,at 10:40 PM, Access Music Support <support@access-music.de> wrote:

Dear Grant Bolton,

Dear Grant,
Thank you for your mail. In regards to the sluggish behavior please try this: unplug the power from your Virus TI and remove any other cable going from/to the TI. Wait approximately 1-2 minutes. While plugging back in the power only, hold down the EXIT button. This will force the unit into USB UPDATE MODE. Next try again to load in the very latest OS with the help of the "Virus Control Center" application (do not mix this up with the TI Control PlugIn) and check if this helps.

In regards to the Midi clock/Midi sent issue: are you in Single Mode or in Multi mode and in case this is in Multi mode have you set all PARTs to NOT transmit Midi?

With best regards,

Jörg Hüttner
Access Music Tech Support

--- Original Message ---

Hi
I've recently upgraded my OS to 4.5.3.00 on my Virus Ti Polar. I'm finding it really sluggish when skipping through the patches and menus and pressing buttons sometimes. Other than that it seems to be fine, but makes it fairly awkward to use and I'm worried about using it live soon.

Also, I'm experimenting with using the midi out to send Midi clock to my mates Yamaha DTX electric drum kit 'brain' to give him a click to play along with the arpeggiator. It's syncing up fine but when I play the keys it plays the sounds within the DTX. How can I stop sending midi notes from the keyboard but keep sending midi clock?
I came across a menu setting, Keyboard to Midi, thought this must be it, but I've tried disabling that but still trigger his sounds when I play.

I'm using the Virus completely standalone, not connected to my laptop at all.

cheers.

Grant

Virus Type: Virus TI Polar OS: 4.5.3.00
Computer OS: MacOSX 10.6 Sequencer: Logic Pro Ram: 3gb-4gb

Sincerely,

---------------------
Access Music Support Droid
---------------------
Nord Electro2 73
Macbook Pro
Logic Pro 8