Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 11.05.2005, 09:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Ok, where do all you guys hear about these new trance artists? Is their a website you can goto to keep abreast of all the latest info/artists? I will happily take back some of my comments if I can get to listen to some of these tunes you so passionately advocate
The Isratrance forums http://forums.isratrance.com are okay, with lots of reviews, though some people's opinions of what is good don't fit with mine.

Another good review site is http://www.psynews.org/

Otherwise I generally look for stuff from labels I like. That and the new releases on psyshop.com and saikosounds.com as they have audio samples etc.
Old 15.05.2005, 12:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran

If people didn't have the insecure need to feel accepted, as well as the go along with the sheep sheep mindset of the masses then there would be more originality in music, fashion, artwork, ... ....

We live in a Monkey say, Monkey do society.

Banana anyone?
Old 15.05.2005, 01:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Forget what the rest are doing and make no creative comparisons

Everyone is unique with their own brand of creativity and that adds the original vibe. But if comparisons are made and attempts to try and fit into a specific music scene or genre too then it all gets samey samey and boring. Mind numbing even.

Mind numbing music by minds that have been numbed by a mind numbing society.

lol, thats quite a lot of numbs for one message post
Old 15.05.2005, 06:16 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvisibl
If people didn't have the insecure need to feel accepted, as well as the go along with the sheep sheep mindset of the masses then there would be more originality in music, fashion, artwork, ... ....

We live in a Monkey say, Monkey do society.

Banana anyone?
Yup. Last time I said trance has loads of boring uncreative monkey-hear-monkey-do stuff that cover up all the good stuff, one new forum member got so upset he had to leave the forum forever... Maybe it was, like we Finns say, "the dog yelps that's hit by a billet". ?hih.

But anyways could someone post a list of really creative trance artists/groups. I want to get rid of the supersaw image.
Old 15.05.2005, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Is anyone here bored of the same kinda shitty 909/808 loops?
Aye!

[qutoe]The same kinda detuned mega leads?[/quote]

Aye!

Quote:
The same kinda 'oh my god my soul is part of the universe' kinda pads?
Aye!

Quote:
The same kinda dull songwriting?
Double aye!

Quote:
The overuse of compression, effects and virtual plugin 'phatning' techniques?
Aye!

Quote:
The squeeky clean and sterile digital recordings?
Hospital-like overdigital ProTools sound - Aye.

Quote:
The oh so pathetic vocal stutters?
Classic. Although this is what made 80's famous. Aye.

Quote:
The even more pathetic and meaningless lyrics?
Aye, indeed!

Quote:
The fact that trance is not a 'live' genre and never will be in the true sense.
Well, this is a "problem" with all kinds of electronic music. I don't think there is some kind of obligation for musicians to perform live. The fact is that performing electronic music would be silly. Maybe using different arrangements and do some "acoustic" parts live, like vocals, could work.

Quote:
The fact that alot of people make it in smelly bedrooms whilst at university (often under the influence of drugs) and that the euphoric feeling they get whilst writing the tune....just cannot be achieved unless you use the same drugs.
Triple aye! Last time I queried the reason for banal 4-on-the-floor and minimalistic "dance" tracks, almost immediately someone pointed out that it works if youre doped up... It's like car manufacturers would make a 30,000 euro vehicle that would have only the case of a car. "What I'm going to do with this car?! It doesn't even have an engine!", "Well, you see, you take one of these pills and off you go!".

Quote:
The fact that very few people can make money within this genre now (I was hoping that would mean more talented musicians would dominate....but I was wrong).
The trance is really overpopulated by releases of below average artists. As I said in my last "rant" thread, seems like the companies are aiming at quantity instead of quality.

Quote:
Ok, thats enough.....but theres alot more. I'd just like to say that 80's music never had these kinda problems.
Except the stuttering vocals and meaningless lyrics. ?hih.
Old 15.05.2005, 11:59 AM
Amateur
Amateur

There is some good trance around. Most of it is underground progessive and not massively available to the public which isn't like it`s counterpart, commercial trance. This is where people get their stereo typical association with trance.

Anyway there is plenty of different genres to keep everybody happy. Theres more to electronic music than trance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
The only good trance is psytrance and none of your (ever so neatly organised) bullet points above apply to psytrance.
I find current psy trance boring and predictable. Theres is a selection of groups/artists who cut it from the rest but majority has no distinctive flavour.

Old 15.05.2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
There is some good trance around. Most of it is underground progessive and not massively available to the public which isn't like it`s counterpart, commercial trance. This is where people get their stereo typical association with trance.
Throw in some good trance names.

Quote:
I find current psy trance boring and predictable. Theres is a selection of groups/artists who cut it from the rest but majority has no distinctive flavour.
You mean like this? ?hih.
Old 15.05.2005, 01:51 PM
Amateur
Amateur

xibalba
yves deruyter
sander van doorn
asino
Igal M
James benitez
sonkite

These groups/artist are more at the tech-house/prog-psy side of trance. The trance I think DS means is more towards the vocal/hard, which is mostly the commercial releases that flood the market.
Old 15.05.2005, 03:23 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Ah, some people who share my concern for the genre which died 5 years ago!

I have been pointed in the direction of many 'Great Trance' Producers of late, and they all leave a lot to be desired. After popping in a mix CD yesterday by Paul Van Dyk (on the cover of Mixmag), hoping that they'd found the cream of the crop... I felt like crying.

I listen to EDR Club Tech (www.energyradio.fm > Club) - which is especially good on a sunday afternoon GMT.

It's progressive house, but there are producers making this who are on the same vibe as Trance was before it became washed out with wannabe DJ/Producers hungry for the bleach-blonde spotlight.

All that needs to happen is for ONE producer to create a stunning trance track, and for it to be featured on a compilation of fresh sounds, and suddenly we will have great Trance again...

I am interested in helping to get it back to where it should be... A track I am working on at the moment is a homage to decent Trance of a decade ago... when it's done I will post a link to it here for some serious critique...
Old 15.05.2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym
Ah, some people who share my concern for the genre which died 5 years ago!

I have been pointed in the direction of many 'Great Trance' Producers of late, and they all leave a lot to be desired. After popping in a mix CD yesterday by Paul Van Dyk (on the cover of Mixmag), hoping that they'd found the cream of the crop... I felt like crying.

I listen to EDR Club Tech (www.energyradio.fm > Club) - which is especially good on a sunday afternoon GMT.

It's progressive house, but there are producers making this who are on the same vibe as Trance was before it became washed out with wannabe DJ/Producers hungry for the bleach-blonde spotlight.

All that needs to happen is for ONE producer to create a stunning trance track, and for it to be featured on a compilation of fresh sounds, and suddenly we will have great Trance again...

I am interested in helping to get it back to where it should be... A track I am working on at the moment is a homage to decent Trance of a decade ago... when it's done I will post a link to it here for some serious critique...
Did you listen to ASOT last thursday?

PS > Check out Serenity (Sensation White anthem 2005) by AvB, and Love Theme Dusk by Mike Foyle vs. Signalrunners.

Both hit the spot (with a sledge-hammer) for me. Awesome.