Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 11.03.2009, 08:00 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Patches/Presets - TI vs. Snow; Favorites ...

Hello,

I recently bought a snow and have some questions about the patches/preset.

Initially I thought that the snow has the same patches as the 'big' viruses. But I found out (from an TI documentation, Appendix 9) that the big ones have 17(?) ROM banks (A - Q).

The snow has only 8 banks (ROM). It has also 8 RAM banks, but e.g. bank 4 to 7 is equal between both and bank 8 of the RAM contains the tutorials.

I wonder which patches the snow has got from the big brothers?
The best? An average? Worse patches to raise the interest in a big virus?

I don't know, because I don't know too much of the TI patches.

Don't get me wrong. I do like my virus. When I am going through the presets in contrast to the whole number (512) I find very less patches which are very clean (e.g. for lead melody). Lets give you an example. I do like patches like

AllRoundXM, ButtrflyMS, CharactrMS, etc.

I also like many of the 'Pad' patches e.g. for sound carpets at the background. Arpeggiators are also cool (but why so many). Most of the other patches are very special, experimental which are hardly usable composing a song.

But maybe most of you don't use the existing patches, but creating own sounds. Ok, maybe one day I am joining you, maybe not

If someone like to, please tell me your 5(or10) patch favorites. I would like to know. I will then check if I have them on the snow too

E.g. someone of you will tell my a 'must have'-patch, is it somehow easy to (dump it at e.g. a polar) and installing it on the snow?
Old 11.03.2009, 08:37 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Using Vc you can have the full ti list on your computer playable without having to load on the actual unit.You can Dwnld from access.I have a million patchbanks on my computer, they use up almost no memory. I recomend the ummet ozcan soundset its $50 dollars us though.But if you want to knock the walls down build your own.
Old 12.03.2009, 09:44 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

There are something like 2000 preprogrammed patches on my Virus TI. When I first got it, I tried (i really did) to listen to them all, but I got bored after the first few hundred and started writing my own ones. :>

I view preprogrammed patches as a means to demonstrate the capabilities of the synth. I would never dream of using a preprogrammed patch in a song and presenting the song as my own work...
That's just me maybe. I r elitist :p

-Annikk
Old 12.03.2009, 10:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLie6 View Post
I wonder which patches the snow has got from the big brothers?
you can find out yourself by starting virus control and dial up the "Virus TI Factory Backup" folder. and if you want to know what has changed since the release of the Snow, just dial up the "Virus TI2 Backup" folder.

by the way: the TI2 contains an entirely new soundset with loads of patches which were not released before. owners of the first TI should have a look. in my opinion, the new rom sounds sound much more contemporary.

best, marc
Old 12.03.2009, 01:26 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
There are something like 2000 preprogrammed patches on my Virus TI. When I first got it, I tried (i really did) to listen to them all, but I got bored after the first few hundred and started writing my own ones. :>

I view preprogrammed patches as a means to demonstrate the capabilities of the synth. I would never dream of using a preprogrammed patch in a song and presenting the song as my own work...
That's just me maybe. I r elitist

-Annikk
Did you really, I mean, REALLY get bored trying out the presets? I believe I've yet to stumble upon one that hasn't captured my total interest in how it was created! That's not to say I do not have the least idea how it was created, but rather I want to see each and every parameter with my own eyes!

As for the use of presets, I can see your point, but I would view many instances of doing such a thing as purely academic exercise. Ben, Marc, Howard, et al, really know their stuff, and I intend on extracting all I can from their creations. After all, if I was to create my own 303 Bassline clone for a tune, sure, it's cool that I know how to do it (and I can claim the sound is my creation) but they've already created a sound I require. The way I see it, knowing how to do it is more important than doing it just to prove I can. However, that's a limited example above, I appreciate that. Every major change to a preset I use technically alters the status from 'preset' to 'my sound' (not that I would feel it is...). Also, I suppose it only applies to the generic sounds of certain basses, Leads, Pads, characteristics of each which we hope to identify in the sound when we browse by category (^_^)

I hope I've expressed the point I was trying to make. I almost always assess my ramblings as having not made any sense! (?_?)

P.S. I forgot to mention, the thing i love most about my TI2 Polar, creating my own sounds! (^_^)
Old 12.03.2009, 01:47 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
you can find out yourself by starting virus control and dial up the "Virus TI Factory Backup" folder. and if you want to know what has changed since the release of the Snow, just dial up the "Virus TI2 Backup" folder.

by the way: the TI2 contains an entirely new soundset with loads of patches which were not released before. owners of the first TI should have a look. in my opinion, the new rom sounds sound much more contemporary.

best, marc
As a Snow owner, I don't know why I didn't think to look for this already! I know what I'm going to do when I get home from work today!
Old 12.03.2009, 05:20 PM
Am starting to like this forum

OOOPS

I did a full backup of my own presets after I received the TI2...

did I erase all the, "the TI2 contains an entirely new soundset with loads of patches which were not released before"?

Are they saved on my computer somewhere else?

thanks
Old 13.03.2009, 08:01 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Thanks for all your input!

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the "Installer 2.7.3 for Windows" on my vista pc. After initial problems it worked. So I can open an kind of admin VC application where I can (and tested) to do a full backup of the virus snow.

Do I understand it right, that there is no explicit main VirusControl application on my pc to run? My idea was to have a pc application connected via usb to select (as someone mentioned) patches/presets that are not really on the snow. And play it via midi keyboard.

But I assume that there is now only a vst plugin on my pc, and the VC is only available when I use that plugin in a certain sequencer, right?
Old 13.03.2009, 05:10 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
by the way: the TI2 contains an entirely new soundset with loads of patches which were not released before.
best, marc
How did I miss this! Off to the studio....

Cheers.