Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 14.08.2013, 04:47 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Default Long USB Solutions

I'm curious as to what people are using successfully with a TI2 for long cable lengths. I need to find a solution for a 25 ft. USB connection from the keyboard to the computer in a studio. I know USB specs max out at 16.5 ft. and using a USB hub is a no no, but how are people getting around this?
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

AudioLot is an authorized Access dealer

Follow us on Facebook for weekly gear specials and the latest news
Old 14.08.2013, 10:41 PM
This forum member lives here

Is USB working properly for you with the max spec'd length on the TI2? If yes, what computer and DAW are you using?
Old 14.08.2013, 11:03 PM
Complete Newbie

Yes, it works perfectly. The cable that came with the TI2 Keyboard caused tons of issues but once I replaced that cable with a higher quality one, everything has been working really well.

Old 14.08.2013, 11:59 PM

PC or Mac? Which host(s)?
Old 15.08.2013, 03:04 AM
Complete Newbie

Mac based Pro Tools HD

Old 15.08.2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Mac based Pro Tools HD
Interesting.

Around here, I think those who have had success with TI/TI2 USB integration are few and far between, so while I know it doesn't help answer the original question, I think you're one of the lucky ones in that that it works as designed for you, so pushing it beyond the as-designed specs seems like a bit of a long shot, but best of luck to you.

I was one of the unfortunate ones that could not achieve an acceptable level of latency over USB so I returned my TI2 , to wait for a day when either USB was more reliably implemented or supplanted by a faster technology (that was about four years ago so I'm no longer holding my breath).
Old 15.08.2013, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I was one of the unfortunate ones that could not achieve an acceptable level of latency over USB so I returned my TI2
And it must be three, possibly four years ago now, yet you're still dripping on about it like a tap. Maybe we're the unfortunate ones. Getting seriously bored, MB.
Old 15.08.2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
And it must be three, possibly four years ago now, yet you're still dripping on about it like a tap. Maybe we're the unfortunate ones. Getting seriously bored, MB.
I guess you could always ban me again under trumped up reasons / false pretenses if it really bothers you?

I wasn't dripping about anything here, I was asking the guy his secret sauce for success with USB since it seems rare around here. I read more from folks with USB issues than success, so when someone has success I'd like to know what worked for them.

Has the integration improved in the last 3-4 years? If so, where can I see a list of what was fixed? I'm genuinely interested in that. If it hasn't been fixed, and it's still true that more people have issues than success, then someone should drip about it until Access does something about it.

I commented about that fact here, because I think his chances of success with a longer cable are slim. Not sure why you're making more of it than that.
Old 16.08.2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

The reason for his success is simple. He is running a pro tools HD system which means all the processing power the DAW needs comes from dedicated hardware/pci cards & not the host computer so freeing up most of the computers resources to run VC.
On another note pro tools have now developed a new 64 bit plug in format called aax that a lot of my plug in's are now compatible with. There has been a few people on the official forum asking if access will be making an aax version of VC but no news so far.
Old 16.08.2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
The reason for his success is simple. He is running a pro tools HD system which means all the processing power the DAW needs comes from dedicated hardware/pci cards & not the host computer so freeing up most of the computers resources to run VC.
On another note pro tools have now developed a new 64 bit plug in format called aax that a lot of my plug in's are now compatible with. There has been a few people on the official forum asking if access will be making an aax version of VC but no news so far.
Wow, good catch Berni -- I didn't even think about the significance of HD in his post, not being a pro tools user myself. But, is that really the sole reason for success? The problems that I saw were under conditions where the CPU wasn't being stressed at all. The DAW would have had plenty of headroom for processing. I always felt the problem was more that USB 2.0 speeds either weren't being utilized, or (at the time) that I was having some sort of system problem with the USB controller that was introducing latency -- wondering how that problem would go away in his scenario, unless of course the HD hardware has a dedicated USB port that the Virus can plug into? Not familiar enough with protools hardware.