Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 25.04.2009, 11:46 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Question Switching to 64bit OS..

Is it possible to switch to a 64bit OS and 64bit cubase 5 and still use virus VC?
I've checked all my hardware and the only thing stopping me from switching is the Ti. I've also read that most 32bit apps should work on 64bit sistems. And that cubase 5 has some sort of wrapper that should enable 32bit VST's to workon a 64bit sistem.
Anyone tried it? Can it be made to work?
RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
CPU: C2D E6850 @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: GF 8800GT 512MB
Sound: E-mu 1212M
DSP: UAD-2 Duo
USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...
Old 26.04.2009, 01:19 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

It will not work unfortunately. You are in the same boat as me. I want to switch to a 64bit OS, however, the Ti will not install on a 64bit OS. It has nothing to do with a 32bit app not being able to install and run on a 64bit OS, it has to do with 64bit OS's ABSOLUTELY NEEDING all drivers to be in 64bit. Since the Ti forces a driver install for the audio interface portion of the Ti, it won't work with it being 32bit. I really wish Access would get on the ball with this since just about every other audio manufacturer has 64 bit support. Although it would be great if they made VC in 64bit, all we really need is the driver to be in 64bit so we could at least install it on our machine. VC could stay in 32bit, and still function properly.

With Cubase 5 being native 64bit, Halion 3.5 is coming as native 64bit, as well as all other drivers for my audio interface, UAD cards, Novation controller etc, it would be nice to stop having to dual boot my system with XP just for audio functionality due to one piece of hardware.

Here is something I came across but have not yet tried. It is called Jbridge and allows 32 bit drivers to work on 64bit machines. If you are feeling bored and brave, perhaps you can give it a shot?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3729.html
Old 26.04.2009, 01:25 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Same boat.

I have vista 64 installed and am loving it. It's making me sad that the only thing holding me back from going full vista64 is this gorgeous white beauty that I use EVERY DAY.

I wonder if there's some sort of work around... hmz Any vista driver hackers out there?

Old 29.04.2009, 01:21 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Unhappy

Why Is it so hard to make drivers 64bit?
It's a shame that the product that was the very definition of the future of synthesis is now the only thing keeping us from moving forward and going 64bit.. and the time is at hand.. I've tried the win7 RC's and this is it. The new XP, only faster and much more stable. And this is still a prerelease..
I hope Access will eventually see this is an essential upgrade... especially for people working with audio; today's VST samplers and romplers use a lot of ram...
RAM: 2x 2GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
CPU: C2D E6850 @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: GF 8800GT 512MB
Sound: E-mu 1212M
DSP: UAD-2 Duo
USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...
Old 29.04.2009, 03:28 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I faced a similar dilemna. After a lot of research, I regretfully built a 32bit DAW.

I've looked into this fairly extensively and didn't find a solution. I am a Network Administrator for my day job and I know where to look to find answers to stuff like this. I couldn't find anything. I've basically concluded that it can't be done (if anyone does find a workaround, let me know!!).

Access need to make VC compatible with 64 bit OS's. There's an increasingly loud rallying call for them to do this, but eh.. you can't rush genius :>

-Annikk
Old 29.04.2009, 03:31 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Why Is it so hard to make drivers 64bit?
This is a very good question, and I'm not actually sure how difficult it is.

I know that making an application 64bit compatible is easier than making it actually use the extra power possible in a 64bit environment, but not much more than that.

I suspect it's a major project because if it was quick and easy Access would have done it by now.

-Annikk