Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 22.01.2009, 01:52 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Waldorf Blofeld compliements the Snow?

Hey,
I've got about 350 pounds from some old gear and was wondering if the Waldorf Blofeld was worth a buy? I already own a Virus TI Snow.
If anyone has used both of them, do they compliment each other well?
The other option is a Use-Audio Plugiator.

Suggestions appreciated

Thanks.
________
Rehab Discussion

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 22.01.2009, 08:33 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I remember a certain someone suggesting on here not long ago that the Moog Little Phatty was excellent to compliment the Virus (he owns both units). The sharp, cutting analog sound apparently cuts right through the mix and sits nice and upfront, just where you would want it to be.

With that said, the Blofeld is a gorgeous looking synth, and has a huge range of possibilities for sound sculpture - different possibilities from those offered by the Virus. I also imagine it to be very sharp and defined so it would probably do the job just as well as the Little Phatty. I have not used one, but I understand that it has a number of "german" quirks.

You might also consider a Korg MS2000, which i DO own. :> It has a powerful step sequencer - a feature not offered by the Virus - and emulates analog much better. It has the most gorgeous sounding saw waves... :> Most people report that they use it for crazy swirly effects and things. Who knows though, maybe you'd rather a bit more variation than another VA.
It's a pricy device but hopefully there will be a nice second hand one on e-bay for you :>

A word of warning on the MS2k though - if you think the distortion on the Virus is bad, the MS2K is infinitely worse. Distortion comes in the form of a magic "on/off" button. Turning it on makes almost any sound harsh and unusable. :P

-Annikk
Old 22.01.2009, 08:44 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
A word of warning on the MS2k though - if you think the distortion on the Virus is bad, the MS2K is infinitely worse. Distortion comes in the form of a magic "on/off" button. Turning it on makes almost any sound harsh and unusable. :P
Must be a Korg thing. The distortion on my Electribe EA1 is literally an on/off button (it is quite usable though, soundwise).
Old 22.01.2009, 08:58 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I have yet to hear a distortion I like on a synthesizer. It's a bit of a problem because distortion is so central to what I do musically.

Hence this:

MADE IN BRITAIN!!!

-Annikk (NB: I don't own it....yet.... muahaha... soon, precious...soon..)
Old 22.01.2009, 09:12 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
soon, precious...soon..
Lord of the Ring Mods?
Old 22.01.2009, 03:04 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, since I haven't used my microKorg for some time, the amount of distortion is depending on the Mixer/Filter Input Level and since they share about the same synthesis eninge the MS2000 should react the same way. I used it as Controller Keyboard but the little keys aren't quite resistant, so I had to replace the keyboard part after about a year.

When it comes Blofeld, it has more flexible routable filters, 4 envelopes and faster LFOs than the Virus TI. Sync Master is Oscillator 3 and Ringmod is between Oscillator 1+2, what is more flexible since it allows interesting Sync/Ringmod combination that can't be done when everything (FM/Ringmod and Sync) is placed between Oscillator 1+2.
Soundwise the filters are a bit harder, less charming than the Virus ones and it needs a bit work to soften the Sound.
I'm currentl having a Blofeld at my disosal, since a did a few sounds for a friend and a little single Sound Demo using those sounds.

http://www.summasounds.de/files/temp/LittleBloDemo.mp3

When it comes to the desktop version, it might make sense waiting for the Sample Expansion, since Waldorf announced that the needed activation key won't be free of charge.
Old 22.01.2009, 04:23 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

They are saying that the ram option should only be around $100. For the price I paid, I'd love to dish it out to be able to upload a few samples I use for my romplers. The Blofeld is becoming a great compliment to my TI. The more I use it, the more familiar I am with the menuing and it's much more intuitive than I previously thought.

It's a no brainer. Go for it mate!
Old 22.01.2009, 05:36 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
If I'm not mistaken, since I haven't used my microKorg for some time, the amount of distortion is depending on the Mixer/Filter Input Level and since they share about the same synthesis eninge the MS2000 should react the same way. I used it as Controller Keyboard but the little keys aren't quite resistant, so I had to replace the keyboard part after about a year.
Ooh, I didn't realise that. My MS2K is down for repair at the moment but I should get it back any day now (perhaps tomorrow!!) so I will have to try that :>

And yus, the keys on teh MS2K are plasticky and rubbish. TI KBD keys are much much nicer...

Listening to that Blofeld demo just now. Nice sounds.. :>
It's definitely a lot lighter and sharper, compared to the darker virus sound.. and the distortion (or saturation or whatever it is you were using) actually doesn't sound too bad !

-Annikk
Old 22.01.2009, 07:14 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Cool Thanks!

Thanks a lot guys. And Summa thanks for the demo and the technical bit
I sold my old Micro X and some other stuff to get the Blofeld. Should be in next week.

w00t V-Synth + Sn0w + Blofeld = Ethereal Bliss
Old 23.01.2009, 06:27 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat! View Post
Thanks a lot guys. And Summa thanks for the demo and the technical bit
I sold my old Micro X and some other stuff to get the Blofeld. Should be in next week.

w00t V-Synth + Sn0w + Blofeld = Ethereal Bliss
Good descision, the Blofeld is a great synth, totally different sounding to the TI