Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.01.2009, 06:18 AM
New here
New here

Default An Oxygene/Equinoxe Jarre Patchbank?

Hi folks

How many of us here are Jarre fans? Tangerine Dream fans? My point is that although there are plenty of excellent patchbanks out there, very few seem insistent on recreating the older 'analog' vibes of these seminal 70's albums.

How many of us would like to see a patchbank full of so-called 'vintage' sounds? - you know, sweeping string washes run through the Virus 'Smallstone' Phaser, those infamous laser-zap effects, synthesised seagulls, stabby vintage leads etc, white noise swooshes etc etc......

[Of course, don't get me started about the lack of arpeggiator-to-osc-pitch as a mod source, or at least a simple step sequencer function - Access, please implement one for OS 3.1!!!!]

It seems that there are plenty of Jarre-emulators out there, and their websites are full of comments like 'can you share your patches?' - so there must be a few of you who'd like to get these sounds!

I'm slowly recreating a few sounds from Oxygene, but having trouble with the EMS effects [although when I saw Jarre live last year, even he couldn't reprogram them exactly...] - if Access won't, would anyone care to collaborate?
Old 19.01.2009, 06:28 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Great idea...would love to get some of these patches too....
Old 19.01.2009, 06:48 AM
New here
New here

maybe if we get enough folks, we could allocate songs - someone could take oxygene 1, another person part 2, some poor sod can have oxygene 5....

really do need a step sequencer ability, though - it's a real chink in the virus's armour. At least having the Arp as a full modulation source would enable workarounds....
Old 19.01.2009, 07:04 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

My new step sequencer will arrive any moment...i ordered a genoQs Nemo last week...so it should be perfect for programming those Jarre Arps....
Old 19.01.2009, 07:47 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Would love to contribute but bear with me I am brand new to the virus (kb version) and haven't programmed it yet. I am more into TD and Klaus Schulze but JM Jarre is fine too. I have rediscovered the synth after 15 years of musical void I used to own a Roland M100 system (I guess that gives away my age) and I am therefore used to patch programming.
Old 19.01.2009, 08:53 AM
New here
New here

well, I'm sure plenty of us here would love to hear some TD style patches [although there's that need for a step sequencer again...]

I have KS's moondawn/cyborg, and pretty much all the Virgin years TD stuff... I even like Cyclone, which puts me in a minority.... Ricochet or Phaedra or Rubycon are favourites, though...

anyway, I'm sure that a good hunt through the existing patches will throw up a few good starting points... I think it's time that the Virus took on the 1970's..
Old 19.01.2009, 06:29 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Ricochet Part two is one of my favourites too.
Regarding the step sequencer I was thinking to buy a Doepfer MAQ 16/3 with just 675 EURO not too heavy on the good old wallet.
Old 24.01.2009, 09:27 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbroad View Post
Hi folks

How many of us here are Jarre fans? Tangerine Dream fans? My point is that although there are plenty of excellent patchbanks out there, very few seem insistent on recreating the older 'analog' vibes of these seminal 70's albums.

How many of us would like to see a patchbank full of so-called 'vintage' sounds? - you know, sweeping string washes run through the Virus 'Smallstone' Phaser, those infamous laser-zap effects, synthesised seagulls, stabby vintage leads etc, white noise swooshes etc etc......

[Of course, don't get me started about the lack of arpeggiator-to-osc-pitch as a mod source, or at least a simple step sequencer function - Access, please implement one for OS 3.1!!!!]

It seems that there are plenty of Jarre-emulators out there, and their websites are full of comments like 'can you share your patches?' - so there must be a few of you who'd like to get these sounds!

I'm slowly recreating a few sounds from Oxygene, but having trouble with the EMS effects [although when I saw Jarre live last year, even he couldn't reprogram them exactly...] - if Access won't, would anyone care to collaborate?
Dan - you MUST download the Per Risvik soundset from the access site. You will find a few good ones in there, including the Eminent strings w/phaser, Laser Harp and minipop drum machine. I'd like to hear more Jarre sounds myself.
Old 29.01.2009, 05:38 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

I remember a guy named Per Kristian from Norway that made Equinox 5 only using a Virus KB some years ago. It was very good and sounded like the real thing. You should contact him. Here´s a link to the original post: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24408. The links for the tune doesn´t work anymore but you can find the song on his homepage http://www.perkristian.net/music/per...-equinoxe5.mp3 plus some more a haven´t heard yet on this page: http://www.perkristian.net/studio_viruskb.shtml (scroll down to the bottom of the page)...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 30.01.2009, 08:40 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel View Post
I remember a guy named Per Kristian from Norway that made Equinox 5 only using a Virus KB some years ago. It was very good and sounded like the real thing. You should contact him. Here´s a link to the original post: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24408. The links for the tune doesn´t work anymore but you can find the song on his homepage http://www.perkristian.net/music/per...-equinoxe5.mp3 plus some more a haven´t heard yet on this page: http://www.perkristian.net/studio_viruskb.shtml (scroll down to the bottom of the page)...
Actually, that's where this all started - and also, there's a UK tribute act called JarreLook [I think] who rate the Virus highly as an imitator of Jarre's esoteric kitlist.

MarkOrbit - thanks for the pointers! Oh, and by the way, I managed to find myself another TI [not that it's not obvious, but good to hear from you again!]