Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 24.06.2008, 04:27 PM
This forum member lives here

Default My Hagstrom sucks logs!!

It's bloody developed a massive buzz in the neck when I pick d and g strings together.

Oh.. How stupid of me to buy a guitar I'd never tested. I'm so, ohh, what's the word? Ah. Fucked off.

<aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. coughs>

Sympathy replies only please no mention of senility appreciated.
Old 24.06.2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Have you considered taking this instrument of yours to a local guitar uber-technician in Vantaa?

Is the buzz in the neck a resolvable issue or is it a showstopper?

At any rate I feel your pain. I love my Ibanez electric bass except for the frett buzz it lets out when really low notes are hit. It pretty much ruins the sound IMHO and I have yet to take it to a technician to get it setup properly. A friend of mine told me to try "flat wound strings" to try and fix it, but I doubt such a string is made for an electric six string.

Good luck, OVM (You forgetful bastard!)

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 24.06.2008, 10:47 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

How high is the action? Don't tell me its already pretty high ...

Perhaps you need to set up it completely from scratch, my MIM Tele's action was like a $5 ukelele when I first got it.

And some arsehole has to say it - any chance of returning it?

Sorry mate,
B
Old 25.06.2008, 03:07 AM

Bah! Tried everything. Took the strings off and totally dismantled everything. Nut wasn't loose, swapped tuning pegs around, took the bridge apart, pickups are solid. I've got the action and intonation set perfectly. It sounds like the truss rod is vibrating inside the neck.

It makes this noise if I play open d and g together. I'm starting to notice it happen now with just the A string. If I play the dissonant combination of G# on the D string together with the open G it feels like the guitar will fall apart.

There's a 3-year guarantee on it, so I'm sending it back. Hey, it's really made me appreciate dear old Telecaster.
Old 25.06.2008, 03:34 AM
Administrator

This is something you'll get when ordering from Thomann. Feel the pain!
Old 25.06.2008, 04:56 AM

Yeah. It's my own stupid fault for ordering a guitar I'd never tried. I was expecting to adjust the bridge and intonation, but this things just bust.

Thomann's been ok otherwise. I've ordered €1000's of gear from them before. Looks like it's time to put our love to the test though..
Old 25.06.2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

The only love between companies and customers is under the guise of "customer satisfaction" (aka "we won't piss you off now for we wish you to spend money with us again in the future").

Hopefully they are decent about your situation. Is the instrument new or did you buy it used?

I can't imagine a new guitar arriving in that terrible a condition. If it is new and all screwed up like that it must have been subjected to really bad temperature/humidity extremes during transit and storage.

In the meantime, love the Tele!

ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 26.06.2008, 09:23 AM

Thomann have been on to me today and I'm pretty impressed with their reply. They're arranging a UPS pickup and return costing me nothing. If you're really bored, here's the reply:

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that a problem occured.
We will contact UPS to arrange a collection for you. You shall receive an e-mail from UPS in the next 4 working days straight with the address label which you are to print out, stick on the parcel and contact UPS for the collection timing.
With the e-mail from UPS you shall receive the contact details for them. Please arrange for the pickup timing within 2 weeks from the day you receive the e-mail as UPS will cancel the collection unless you arrange for this.
Please be prepared for the pick up -the following instructions will help the process run smoothly when the parcel arrives back to us.
Please pack the unit as well as possible so to avoid any transport damage on route back to us here in Germany, and in case of any damage we know that the courier is liable for it.For any further packing tips or instructions please visit the following link;
http://www.ups.com/content/fi/en/resources/prepare/index.html
UPS will not take any responsibility for damage in case one occurs if the parcel wasn't packed good enough for their standards no matter what the driver might say of the parcels sufficiency.
Some very important information:

DO NOT in any case give out the parcel without the correct shipping documents and
DO NOT in any case fill out anything for UPS.

They should have a shipping label (readily filled with all the needed information) with them when they come for collection in case you haven't already received it from them. The 1st may result in a loss of the goods. The 2nd may result UPS trying to charge you for the collection.
Please write a small note with as exact fault description as possible and your wishes for the procedure with this specific reclamation. Please include full contact details and your customer number if at hand.
Within 30 days from purchase, we can exchange the item with the next terms: The unit needs to be in mint condition eg. no dog ears on manuals, no scratches on the item and no damage on the original packing. Also all cables and other accessories are to be included. If these terms are not met, or the 30 days is clearly over, we will repair the unit for you.
In case the repairsman states that the fault was accidentally caused by you or if it is just a high mortality part of the unit ( lamp, battery, etc..) we unfortunately will have to charge you with the shipping costs for sending the item back and for the quote made by our repairs men and we can, of course, not repair the unit under guarantee.

I don't think this being the case with you but I am obliged to let you know this in before hand.
The note is very important for us to be able to provide a smooth and quick service regarding reclamations!

Kind regards,
Old 26.06.2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Vantaa Man View Post
Thomann have been on to me today and I'm pretty impressed with their reply. They're arranging a UPS pickup and return costing me nothing. If you're really bored, here's the reply:

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that a problem occured.
We will contact UPS to arrange a collection for you. You shall receive an e-mail from UPS in the next 4 working days straight with the address label which you are to print out, stick on the parcel and contact UPS for the collection timing.
With the e-mail from UPS you shall receive the contact details for them. Please arrange for the pickup timing within 2 weeks from the day you receive the e-mail as UPS will cancel the collection unless you arrange for this.
Please be prepared for the pick up -the following instructions will help the process run smoothly when the parcel arrives back to us.
Please pack the unit as well as possible so to avoid any transport damage on route back to us here in Germany, and in case of any damage we know that the courier is liable for it.For any further packing tips or instructions please visit the following link;
http://www.ups.com/content/fi/en/resources/prepare/index.html
UPS will not take any responsibility for damage in case one occurs if the parcel wasn't packed good enough for their standards no matter what the driver might say of the parcels sufficiency.
Some very important information:

DO NOT in any case give out the parcel without the correct shipping documents and
DO NOT in any case fill out anything for UPS.

They should have a shipping label (readily filled with all the needed information) with them when they come for collection in case you haven't already received it from them. The 1st may result in a loss of the goods. The 2nd may result UPS trying to charge you for the collection.
Please write a small note with as exact fault description as possible and your wishes for the procedure with this specific reclamation. Please include full contact details and your customer number if at hand.
Within 30 days from purchase, we can exchange the item with the next terms: The unit needs to be in mint condition eg. no dog ears on manuals, no scratches on the item and no damage on the original packing. Also all cables and other accessories are to be included. If these terms are not met, or the 30 days is clearly over, we will repair the unit for you.
In case the repairsman states that the fault was accidentally caused by you or if it is just a high mortality part of the unit ( lamp, battery, etc..) we unfortunately will have to charge you with the shipping costs for sending the item back and for the quote made by our repairs men and we can, of course, not repair the unit under guarantee.

I don't think this being the case with you but I am obliged to let you know this in before hand.
The note is very important for us to be able to provide a smooth and quick service regarding reclamations!

Kind regards,
They are going to stiff you with the bill, I can feel it, especially since you moved the tuning machines, nut, made other adjustments, etc. You'd better hope my instincts are wrong on this one. Vendors always try and weasel out of doing anything for free, it's standard S.O.P. nowadays. Start praying...
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 26.06.2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74 View Post
They are going to stiff you with the bill, I can feel it, especially since you moved the tuning machines, nut, made other adjustments, etc. You'd better hope my instincts are wrong on this one. Vendors always try and weasel out of doing anything for free, it's standard S.O.P. nowadays. Start praying...
Thomann is really customer friendly company in most cases. Some people have had problems, but usually everything is sorted out and in suprisingly good pace.