Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 27.04.2009, 01:35 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
but i wouldn't drop that kinda cash on distortion.
To be fair, distortion is fairly central to what I do. But the Culture Vulture is awesome!!

-Annikk
Old 27.04.2009, 10:17 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Thanks to your help i will probably Take the MOOG LITTLE PHATTY.

Just in case does someone think the MOPHO would be a better deal ?
i dont need a Keyboard, and i would use my mono analog synth for mostly BASS and LEAD straight, not so much live tweaking (i say about that because peoples said the mopho knobs need to be turned much more than little phatty to get where you want and that its not cool for tweaking filter live).

Or is it really less phat for bass ?

I was surprised by the quality of prophet 8 lead and so the mopho should sound same basicaly ?

as for distortion rack iam thinking about it i do use myself very often distortion on my instruments but usually Plugins ones...
But its true Distortion is a very versatile effect and can be used in many occasion.... i use it even on voice sometime if used slightly it can really make voice more warm....
Old 28.04.2009, 08:56 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I really think you'll be better off with the Moog LP.

Also, the Culture Vulture is often used to just add subtle analog warmth to stuff. People run their entire mixes through it on a low setting, etc. It was used to process stuff on the latest James Bond movie.. :>

-Annikk
Old 28.04.2009, 10:26 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Go for the Moog....and you will never look back about the choice you have made....
Old 28.04.2009, 11:13 AM
Complete Newbie

Well i will go for the MOOG then...
After all... its the MOOG lol

As for the Distortion i think its a good idea to use it on master but i would be worried that i dont have enough knowledge to do that.... but its really interesting .

I do use it for Drums sometimes... not often full drum mix but Snare or BD.. it really help...
Old 28.04.2009, 02:18 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Culture Vulture is perfect for warming sounds up a bit, without actually distorting them. It seems to bring out/enhance many of the subtleties and nuances in sounds. There was a thread on Gear Slutz a while back where some go posted up an A/B with dry signal versus subtle warming. The difference was small but definitely a noticeable improvement. In a way it also works a bit like a mastering compressor.

-Annikk
Old 28.04.2009, 04:14 PM
Very mucho Newbie

To give a little background, I've owned the Blofeld, Moog LP, Voyager (rack), Evolver, Mopho, and Prophet '08 (rack.)

My current set up is Future Retro XS, Moog Little Phatty SEII, and Virus TI snow.

Blofeld: Incredibly buggy, crashes alot, more crackles and issues than the Virus stuff for sure. Sounds good, but very bright and harsh. It's really not all that desirable if you already have a Virus, as it's feature set is similar.

Oh yeah, and NO EDITOR. Auto-fail, IMO.

Evolver: Analog/Digital Hybrid, can do some awesome delay grab sounds, weird wavetable stuff can happily crossbreed w/ analog oscs and get modulated all over the place. Great distortion characteristics. I've used this live alot, it's a beautiful, compact instrument, with a very signature sound. Honestly I think it's the best thing DSI has put out to date. Great patch editor, but it's not free.

Mopho: Evolver minus the wavetables and effects, basically. Signal path is 100% analog though, as opposed to going through fantastic sounding converters like the Evolver does, no noticable sound differences. Great patch editor. These are built sort of flimsy, but they are the best valued analog instrument on the market pretty much.

Prophet 08: Amazing pads and complex patches are available. Huge basses are possible too. Lots and lots of modulation options. Yes, knobs are not great, like all DSI products they seem to be made that way in order to keep down costs, i don't know why else they wouldn't go with something a little nicer feeling. It's a fun instrument, but ultimately I wanted a Virus more than this and sold it.

Voyager/LP: Pure analog bliss. Don't discount the Little Phatty in particular, it's an inspiring machine for bass and leads, as well as fx patches. Both machines feel like instruments instead of just ''new technology'' and that kind of feeling in gear is hard to come by these days.

If I was in your boat w/ a virus and looking for something else to complement, It'd get the Little Phatty in a heartbeat, it sounds that good.
Old 28.04.2009, 05:20 PM
Complete Newbie

thanks ^^

Well i think seriously about getting the LITTLE PHATTY, and so.... the next thing is lol like many peoples... LITTLE PHATTY OR VOYAGER RACK...
but i think i can find many post about that
its a fact that i will use it mainly for bass and lead, not so much experimental things...

Still one things bugs me with the LP its that you cant touch CUTOFF AND RESO at same time... they are assigned to the same pot. . .

is there a way of assigning a function to another pot or pedal ?

Last edited by chromatic : 28.04.2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 28.04.2009, 05:28 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatic View Post
thanks ^^

Well i think seriously about getting the LITTLE PHATTY, and so.... the next thing is lol like many peoples... LITTLE PHATTY OR VOYAGER RACK...
but i think i can find many post about that
its a fact that i will use it mainly for bass and lead, not so much experimental things...

Still one things bugs me with the LP its that you cant touch CUTOFF AND RESO at same time... they are assigned to the same pot. . .
Actually the LP has options in the general menu to manually assign the pot mapping per patch, so for instance you could twist cutoff knob and an osc knob (mapped for resonance) at the same time.
Old 28.04.2009, 05:34 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
Actually the LP has options in the general menu to manually assign the pot mapping per patch, so for instance you could twist cutoff knob and an osc knob (mapped for resonance) at the same time.
AH COOL ....
i added that question to my post and you responded maybe before that lol
THanks !

Then thats really cool.... so i think my choice is set on Little Phatty now... i will take it soon really cool !