Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 04.08.2012, 05:51 AM
This forum member lives here

When I looked into the Renaissance, it seemed like Akai was really demoing the software, without mentioning the fact that the pad controller probably cost more than the laptop it was linked to (guess which of the two was doing the real work)?

I have to admit I'm still eyeballing the Akai Max49 for a keyboard controller -- not that I really need one but I have some specific uses for those touch faders if they are sensitive enough. Half a year ago the Akai pads on it looked like fun too... not so much aince I got Maschine, no more use for any other pads now.... and what you've said about Akai's software history makes me think I should proceed with caution. Some of the tricks like arping from the controller looked good, but now I wonder if everything works as advertised. I don't think they've even released it yet, and they demo'ed it at NAMM last winter? For fucks sake.
Old 04.08.2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, it seems like Maschine was won the battle! Hands down!

Some people said that Access could learn a great deal from the integration on Maschine. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's a lot diferent to have an hardware unit running dedicated software on the computer, or having it appear on the computer but run from the hardware's own dsp engine. For one, I like the second example the most - just like I think Universal Audio is awsome. High quality and no cpu strain, you really can't beat that.

The Maschine is diferent... You get the hands on approach, like analogue hardware, but access to a lot of sounds and instruments, everything very thought through and stuff, it's wild... And I don't see anything even remotely similar on the market, they nailed it.
Old 04.08.2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
When I looked into the Renaissance, it seemed like Akai was really demoing the software, without mentioning the fact that the pad controller probably cost more than the laptop it was linked to (guess which of the two was doing the real work)?

I have to admit I'm still eyeballing the Akai Max49 for a keyboard controller -- not that I really need one but I have some specific uses for those touch faders if they are sensitive enough. Half a year ago the Akai pads on it looked like fun too... not so much aince I got Maschine, no more use for any other pads now.... and what you've said about Akai's software history makes me think I should proceed with caution. Some of the tricks like arping from the controller looked good, but now I wonder if everything works as advertised. I don't think they've even released it yet, and they demo'ed it at NAMM last winter? For fucks sake.
Yeah Akai are notorious for advertising features that NEVER get implemented. I know I wont get fooled again.
Old 04.08.2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yeah, it seems like Maschine was won the battle! Hands down!

Some people said that Access could learn a great deal from the integration on Maschine. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's a lot diferent to have an hardware unit running dedicated software on the computer, or having it appear on the computer but run from the hardware's own dsp engine. For one, I like the second example the most - just like I think Universal Audio is awsome. High quality and no cpu strain, you really can't beat that.

The Maschine is diferent... You get the hands on approach, like analogue hardware, but access to a lot of sounds and instruments, everything very thought through and stuff, it's wild... And I don't see anything even remotely similar on the market, they nailed it.
For sure & funnily enough out of the hundreds of plug-ins on my system the only one that brings it to its knee's, crashes & puts more of a strain on it than all the others is the one that uses the synths own DSP engine. I think you know the one I am talking about ; )
Old 08.08.2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Some people said that Access could learn a great deal from the integration on Maschine. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's a lot diferent to have an hardware unit running dedicated software on the computer, or having it appear on the computer but run from the hardware's own dsp engine.
It is a different scenario from a tech standpoint -- Maschine uses the CPU and other resources of the PC it's connected to. Virus has an additional challenge here, which is sending audio data across the wire and back into the DAW. Most folks would agree this in itself is a latency prone process (sending any audio back to the DAW that is), but there is just always this laundry list of unexplained mysteries lingering about the Virus, and it seems to me Access has never really stepped up to the task of answering them... like if the speeds allowed by USB cannot handle moving audio back and forth reliably and without all sorts of issues, why attempt it at all? Why is the full speed of USB 2.0 not even realized. Will it ever be or is there some insurmountable hurdle here? Why the exhorbantly high cost of the hardware when the software largely doesn't work, and the board itself actually offers very little that a high-end VST combined with a good MIDI controller and audio interface can't match or exceed? Why do people fear the OS releases, afraid the new version will be buggier than the one they are currently running? Why can't Access partner with DAW vendors and get everything working solidly? What's next on the horizon for Access and why show up at something like Namm just to announce a couple of software features like a new filter or two?

The mysteries that lie within never end.

In my opinion the closest they have come to something like Maschine was the Powercore setups. Why did that seemingly go nowhere (see above regarding pricetag)? Writing a plugin for a proprietary DSP that allows the customer to scale is a great idea, but follow up on it, grow the idea, don't just put a product out and let it rot.

We can only speculate about some of the answers, but most would say that Access is simply riding on the reputation of the Virus, which originally was a smoking hot piece of VA gear that came out at a time when pure software solutions were really no match for it. Times have changed, so a lot of people are frustrated to see these $3000 pricetags on a synth that's offering the sound of $99 plugin.

Why doesn't Access just offer a pure software version of the Virus, charge $500 or something just as an inflated opportunity to cash in on the halo effect? Well surely it would get pirated into oblivion, so I'm not sure we can blame them here.

In some ways Maschine is sort of an anti-piracy dongle that provides tremendous value as a synchronized controller. I don't see why Access couldn't do something like this. It would be nice to see them do another Powercore-like add-in card that had it's own powerful DSP, but I don't think they will because so many folks are producing on their laptop these days, so that market has narrowed.

I do believe they will have to do something to keep the Virus going, and I have to admit I'm excited to see what that might be. Does Thunderbolt provide the performance they need to really get the Total Integration stuff working?

But, as a standalone synth or live instrument, it still has a lot of value and enormous respect for the brand. Whether it survives the times or just becomes another vintage synth, remains to be seen.
Old 29.08.2012, 07:38 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

ahhh... and this is the reason for the big sale!

Old 30.08.2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTZ View Post
It's always that way with sales, but no regrets here -- color coded pads are nice, but I doubt I'd invest time to use them logically. They probably have more appeal if you use the system in front of others / at a club. And if I really needed them, I'd still say pick up a full 1st gen Maschine for $400 then buy a Mikro with the money you saved plus fifty bucks, getting two of them then you can do the Jeremy Ellis thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtXHghVH1d4

I'm just concerned that they will bundle a free, white Jeremy Ellis suit with each purchase, without a t-shirt alternative option.
Old 30.08.2012, 04:27 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

You always know when NI sell stuff off cheap they are getting ready to put out the next thing they have lined up. The next Komplete line up will be announced shortly ; ) I think the major selling point is it comes with Massive but I already have that & I'm not sure about the multi coloured pads, makes it look a bit like something fisher price would make, Lol. I do like the back lit white buttons though as I'm struggling to read mine in low light/gig situations & the new screens look easier to read but I dont think I would give another $300 for those minor improvements. Of course if I didn't already own one I would definitely be getting this but I'm quite happy with the old one. I wonder if the new software will be compatible with the older version?
Old 30.08.2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTZ View Post

Who needs a lighting rig for 70's disco night if you have one o' those?
Old 31.08.2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I think the major selling point is it comes with Massive but I already have that & I'm not sure about the multi coloured pads, makes it look a bit like something fisher price would make, Lol.
From the website it sounds like the 1.8 software update will give Massive to all Maschine users -- quite a good deal for those who didn't already have it, especially for those who bought the first gen at the big discount prices.

For the colors, I do think it would be nice to have the ability to assign all pads of a type to a certain color, but I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble of really using it... and if I were buying right now I'd buy the 1st gen at a discount again, because the ability to assign colors is not going to be worth another $270 added to the $400 price of the first-gen.