Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 29.01.2005, 12:02 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Jazz Fusion....

This one's for you, Juho!

A band we recorded, all live (OK, there was a small keys overdub in intro....I lied) onto analogue tape. There is a bit of hiss, and volume is quite low.....also, this is only a very quick and dirty rough mix

Cantaloupe Island

Hope you guys enjoy the live sounds, and the beautiful sound of tape being slammed!!!!

P.S it is a pretty big file.....and actually only half the song. I had to fade it out, as it is a 13 minute monster!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 29.01.2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Heh. Elevator jazz... The rhodes sounds odd, weirdly oversoft. And now for the McLaughlin-like guitaring. Orignally 13 minutes you say... I got bored after the three minutes. Hoho. But on the other hand I'm not a big fan of this kind of soft fusion. The band plays ok, but this is just too boring to be this long. There are ingredients for a three to four minute track, but not a thirteen minute one.

But nice overall sound there.
Old 29.01.2005, 05:41 PM
New here
New here

Elevator jazz? Aw man, that's harsh. I rather liked it, you guys did a good job on the Hancock classic. I do agree though that the piano is very soft, that sucker needs to have more bite!
Old 29.01.2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer the Mighty
Elevator jazz? Aw man, that's harsh.
Soft, no odour, no taste... Has to be elevator jazz. ?hih.

Quote:
I do agree though that the piano is very soft, that sucker needs to have more bite!
Indeed. More botne and growl needed.
Old 29.01.2005, 10:12 PM

Yeah...the piano sound is pretty awful

It is a straight sound from a Roland XP10.....Im thinking of running it into my Roland Jazz-Chorus guitar amp, and then miking it up and mixing the two sounds together...

Juho.....maybe I should have posted the last half.....there is an awesome drum solo!

I have one more track to mix, called "Chicken"......will post when I have it done

Cheers for the comments

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 30.01.2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
It is a straight sound from a Roland XP10.....
This explains a lot.

Quote:
I have one more track to mix, called "Chicken"......will post when I have it done
YAY! Jaco! Jaco! Jaco!
Old 03.02.2005, 09:50 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Alright. That band is enough to put anyone to sleep. Here's some jazz/blues/rock fusion that will blow your hair back...(My buddy is the guitarist, the drummer is from Tool). The band is here:

http://www.voltoband.com/

but you can hear a bit of them on this page:

http://www.johnzguitar.com/latest.htm

After that, the best thing to do is cry about how you should've spent more time practicing yer guitar...
Old 04.02.2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
Alright. That band is enough to put anyone to sleep.
Ummm......ok cool. But the purpose of this thread was not really for people to comment on the band, but more about showing you guys what I have been recording lately.

Just to clarify, I am not in the band, nor do I know any members of the band personally, it was simply a recording I did, in a classic jazz style (ie completely live) to analogue tape, which I also thought some of you may enjoy hearing the differences that tracking to analogue tape makes before mixing in digital.....

So, yeah, dont wanna sound like a bitch, but can we keep comments on the recording aspects please? Thanks!

Old 04.02.2005, 09:29 AM

There's a few things that bothered me with the production..

The drums were the main problem. Not enough high end and the snare (when it fully comes in) is really hollow - almost like it was recorded in a seperate room to the rest of the drums. Also there isn't much kick in that kick either. I liked the tom rolls and stuff though. Alot of the drums glitches could be down to the drummer, because they seem to get better when he/she puts more oomph into them. But he high end stuff could be fixed though.

The bass line wasn't bad. A little more clarity on it would have been nice in parts.

The guitars weren't bad, but they definitely take over the mix when they're in.

On the whole, the mix seems to need work.

Sorry to be harsh with it Jase, but I though you would probably appriciate it more if I was.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 04.02.2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Sorry to be harsh with it Jase, but I thought you would probably appriciate it more if I was.
No probs dude!

It was mixed in about 10 minutes.....just cos I was excited to have it at home and wanted to post it quickly to show you guys what I had been doing with my time...

So yeah, it is a very rough mix, and needs work for sure. I have to hand in two mixes in the next couple weeks so when I have finished I will post full length versions of each track.

Thanks for taking the time to listen