Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11.08.2013, 12:45 PM
New here
New here

Default Indigo 2 / Virus C LCD Replacement

The display on my Access Indigo (VERSION TWO) was hard to read unless the room was dark.
This annoyed me so much I was willing to risk damaging it to replace the display with one that was easier to read.

I ordered the following:

Everboquet mc16021e8-sblw
http://www.newark.com/everbouquet/mc...MC16021E8-SBLW

The difference:

* LED back lit. The original was fluorescent front lit.
* More blue than than indigo in color.
* The 4 screw holes are a tiny bit too small. They had to be shaved larger with an x-acto knife.

I'd rather have gotten a nice OLED or fluorescent display, but was unable to find a source matching the same form factor.

The most important thing when hunting for an alternative LCD display is getting one with a matching form factor. The Virus C/Indigo 2 use the uncommon 84mm x 44mm form size. Any other size will not fit without additional modifications.

Unsoldering the ribbon cable from the original display was difficult. Soldering it back on the replacement was a paint too.
In hindsight, I'd source out a ribbon cable with single in-line 16 pin connectors on both ends and solder pins onto the LCD module.

Here are some photos

Before:

While taking it apart I noticed this ad hoc revision on the DSP.

Use an x-acto knife to widen the screw holes a bit.

The original display (top) handled bleedthru from the fluorescent lamp by painting over it with black paint (or fingernail polish). I did the same with the replacement (bottom) using a permanent black marker and electrical tape.

After:

Regards,

Patrick Manderson
https://www.youtube.com/user/pmanderson70/videos