Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 03.09.2009, 09:13 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Going from softsynths to Virus B?

Kind of a broad question, so bear with me:

I bought a Virus Indigo 1 a couple years ago, before I really understood sound synthesis, and tried learning it off of the Virus but didn't really get anywhere. Since then I've started to grasp the basics by strictly learning off of softsynths like Logic's ES2 and Sylenth1.

Well, now I want to delve back into Virus, but it seems so tedious without all the drop-down menus and options laid out in front of me, like on my plugins. I know how to program most basic sounds (leads, pads, basses, keys, etc.) now, but I haven't really gotten my head around the more complicated stuff like evolving soundscapes and multitimbral patches.

I'm considering selling the Indigo and picking up a TI Snow (or polar?), but in the meantime want to try my hand at what I have before moving on. Any advice?
Old 03.09.2009, 10:50 PM
New here
New here

In my view software doesn' t work that different when compared to v.a. hardware.

So if you have learned the basics of synthesis and you have found your way through various softsynths, the Virus indigo should not bring you much trouble.

The Virus line of synths is in some way not very special. What I mean with this is that the whole signal flow of the virus is fairly classic: oscillators are fed into filters and then routed into fx. Along the way you' ll find lfo' s and envelopes which modulate all kinds of variables. That design is also found in softsynths like Massive, V-station, etc. Hence my statement that the Virus is not a very special synth, it is just extremly good in representing classic synth design and the mathematical models which were used to emulate real analog synths are clearly top notch.

My advice:

Invest in your knowlegde of synthesis. Pretty dull perhaps as it takes time and a lot of reading, but I assure you it will pay of. The more your playground grows, the better you can estimate whether you like the virus' s sound by experimenting and tweaking it to the bone or whether software deliveres you enough.

If you like the Indigo that much soundwise, you can sell it and buy a snow. Just realise that the snow has only a few knobs and while the Access boys have done well to make the snow very user friendly, you' ll only get out what is in it if you understand what you are doing.

I owned an Alesis Micron several years ago and while it was very minimalistic, I could bring up good sounds as I understood it' s architecture (which is also very classic and looks a lot like the virus). With the snow it' s the same thing: if you understand it' s architecture, it is a many tentacled beast which blows away a lot of software, but if you can' t understand it' s architecture, you' re just doomed to endlessly skipping presets while there is so much more.

good luck,

M.
Old 04.09.2009, 09:53 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

@ NewSc2

Ok, I think you mean that the layout is not so intuitive as in Softsynth, don't you?

A good hardware synth to learn the synthesis is in my eyes the Roland SH-201.

The Roland SH-201 has a good button arrangement on the top panel and also arrows that shows you where the sound is going to.

At the moment it doesen't make much sense to sell the Indigo for a TI. When you are able to master the Indigo then yes.

Go and try a Roland SH-201 or buy one they are not so expensive, I am sure you can learn by doing straight away with the SH-201 and afterwards it will be easier to use the Indigo. My 2 cents.
Old 11.09.2009, 04:16 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atziluth View Post
@ NewSc2

Ok, I think you mean that the layout is not so intuitive as in Softsynth, don't you?

A good hardware synth to learn the synthesis is in my eyes the Roland SH-201.

The Roland SH-201 has a good button arrangement on the top panel and also arrows that shows you where the sound is going to.

At the moment it doesen't make much sense to sell the Indigo for a TI. When you are able to master the Indigo then yes.

Go and try a Roland SH-201 or buy one they are not so expensive, I am sure you can learn by doing straight away with the SH-201 and afterwards it will be easier to use the Indigo. My 2 cents.
Yeah, I've got a SH-201 and its pretty good for learning the basics... The software you load onto your computer to control it is pretty retarded but it works...