Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.08.2007, 07:53 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Power cables.....

Ive just re wired my studio and Ive made a big mistake. Ive got lots of kettle plug power leads with varying fuse AMP ratings 5 to 13....

Do you guys think its more likely that a Fireface 800 and Carillon core duo 2.67ghz computer would likely take the 13 amp fuse plugs? And that my 22 inch flatscreen monitor and Yamaha FS1r synth would take the 5 amp plugs?

Guess what....there is no mention of any of this in user manuals or websites or net.

Thats the last time i unplug everything without labelling up the cables. Im going mental. Please help me!

As always...im greatful gor the help....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 19.08.2007, 06:25 PM
Pro
Pro

None of your equipment will need the 13amp fuses so it is a bit of a moot point.

a 5 amp fuse will blow when there is over 1100W of power being drawn and none of your equipment will draw that much. The computer will draw the most and the power supply should have the wattage rating on the back of it, I doubt it is over 500W unless you have specifically gone out and bought a monster one.
Old 19.08.2007, 07:32 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Ledge is right. You shouldn´t worry. I had all my equipment on one 10 amp plug and it has never blown. Not even when my wife if vacuum cleaning at the same time (and vacuum cleaners use a lot of power)... For comparison; a Fantom X7 uses about 70W, a 40 inch Samsung LCD TV uses about 300W and your computer may use up to 500W (at max) as Ledge wrote. So put together you can run your computer with a 40 inch samsung LCD TV as monitor and 31 fantom X7´s without having to worry about a 13 amp fuse...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 22.08.2007, 06:09 PM

Cool, thx for responding.

As a side note, my mackie 824's came with power leads fused with 13 ampears......which does seem over kill lol.

Does a 13 amp fused plug feed in more power into a device than a 5amp one? I guess all my equipment have regulated power supplies that only draw a certain amount (well within the ampears rating). So, to get my thinking straight.....when we talk about fuses in power leads....we're talking about the amount of power that can potentially get sucked through before the fuse blows and thus protects the equipment from overload?

Its probably going to be the first and last time i ever need to ask this question! As you can imagine, when youve got expensie gear....you want peace of mind.

Thanks guys

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 22.08.2007, 06:33 PM
Pro
Pro

You've got it, a fuse dictates the maximum power load that can be drawn before it blows. Appliances will only draw as much as they need.

If you really want to protect your gear though you should be using a UPS and a halfway decent one at that. Those are the only reliable way to surge protect equipment, power boards with surge protection will not as I found out.