Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.02.2021, 07:58 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Virus TIx knobs

Is it only me who is thinking the knobs of the Virus TIx should have been made as unlimited circular knobs, rather than knobs with a left and right end/stop?

Of course if you have such unlimited knobs, you would not visually see at which position the knob is. BUT, also with Virus knobs, with hard end/stops, you will not see it anyway.

If you load a patch, your CUTOFF knob might be standing at full, but the patch value has it very low near 0.

That is reason why I am thinking it should be unlimited knobs. Because the current knobs have no advantage. But they have a big disadvantage. If you loaded a patch, and just want to slightly change the value of a knob, it will not work. The value in the above example would jumb from near 0 to almost full, when I slightly want to decrease it from the current value.

Of course the virus is just as the virus is

Just thinking if someone else is also constantly thinking like that.

Edit:
Oh, I found an advantage of the current knobs: If you are playing with a knob, while not looking at the virus, you will have the physical feedback when you reaching the lowest or highest possible value. Yes, this could be stated as an advantage
Old 20.02.2021, 01:04 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLie6 View Post
Is it only me who is thinking the knobs of the Virus TIx should have been made as unlimited circular knobs, rather than knobs with a left and right end/stop?

Of course if you have such unlimited knobs, you would not visually see at which position the knob is. BUT, also with Virus knobs, with hard end/stops, you will not see it anyway.

If you load a patch, your CUTOFF knob might be standing at full, but the patch value has it very low near 0.

That is reason why I am thinking it should be unlimited knobs. Because the current knobs have no advantage. But they have a big disadvantage. If you loaded a patch, and just want to slightly change the value of a knob, it will not work. The value in the above example would jumb from near 0 to almost full, when I slightly want to decrease it from the current value.

Of course the virus is just as the virus is

Just thinking if someone else is also constantly thinking like that.

Edit:
Oh, I found an advantage of the current knobs: If you are playing with a knob, while not looking at the virus, you will have the physical feedback when you reaching the lowest or highest possible value. Yes, this could be stated as an advantage
What I have learned over the years is that limitations are the foundation of creativity. You will get the most of out it when you use those limitations as inspiration.
Old 20.02.2021, 08:53 AM
Infektion taking hold...

True!

And also the common phrase applies here too: Everthing has its downside! You can't have everything.
Old 22.02.2021, 09:40 PM
Administrator

In my experience rotary encoders tend to be finicky, especially when they've aged, they become less responsive, inaccurate or jump values etc.
Old 02.03.2021, 05:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

And additionally I came across a feature of the Virus, where Access Music has exactly addressed, what I am complaining:

In order to not have 'jumps' when turning certain knobs, it is possible to choose 'Snap' (instead of the default 'Jump') for Knob Behavior in the Config! That means you can turn a knob without any effect, until it reaches the default value. It will show a small arrow to remind you first going to the default.

Not bad. They already considered it!