Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 23.01.2014, 09:03 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Winter NAMM 2014 gear (all manufacturers)

Various products, rumours, et al., so liable to change. Will update respectively.

The NAMM Trade show 2014 runs 23-26th Jan.

Roland:
• [Aira TR-08/9] - an alleged successor to the 808/909 by the very people who made them.

• [FA-06/8] - 61/88 key workstation

• [VT-3 vocal transformer]

Elektron:
• [Analog Rytm] - a 8-voice analog drum machine w/ sample support

Nord:
• [Nord Lead A1]

Moog:
• [Sub Phatty 37]

• [Theremini]

Korg:
• [MS20 DIY kit]

• [Gadget synth studio] - 15 virtual synths/drums for iPad.

• [Taktile / Triton Taktile] - USB controller with/without Triton sound engine

• [RK-100s keytar]

• Pa4X? maybe.

Waldorf:
• Possibly a couple of products, including some kind of filter judging by the teaser:

Slate Digital:
• [Virtual Microphone system]

Akai:
• [EWI 5000 - Wireless Wind Controller] inc. 3Gb of sounds

Alesis:
• Loads of [USB/keyboard controllers, monitors, audio interfaces and other studio gubbins]

• [Vortex wireless Keytar]

M-Audio:
• [Trigger Finger Pro]

Arturia:
• [BeatStep] sequencer/controller

Bitwig:
• [Bitwig Studio DAW software]

Kawai:
• MP11

Edits/updates as and when...

Of course the only real thing I'm bothered about is whether there's any news from Access, but there are no teasers and I've heard zilch.

Last edited by Timo : 23.01.2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 24.01.2014, 03:52 PM
Pro
Pro

The new Izotope plugin looks pretty god damn cool too Timo - http://www.izotope.com/products/audi...r/features.asp

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 25.01.2014, 05:02 AM
Pro
Pro

Was checking here for any news of Access and Namm '14, although I did read on KVR or similar that, "...a new iOS App for Kemper Amp Modeling..." [paraphrased], so did not know if it meant there's a Kemper booth at NAMM or if that App was a third party developer?!

I DO KNOW that there's been a preponderance of Virus Ti's for sale on Ebay USA for last week or so and thought maybe some people knew something on the inside or something.

I think we would have heard an announcement from Access by now.
Old 25.01.2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Kemper are definitely there at NAMM in their usual place, booth. #6100

But given that there were no teasers on the Access site, and that energy was seemingly being placed into the Kemper Amp software again this year (see below) and that that signified no major new update for TI OS last year (TI OS v5 was originally showcased at NAMM 2012 and released as beta not long after), I held off a Virus news bulletin that I normally do. Normally Access drop at least a couple of hints beforehand if there's an update on the horizon, but it's been extraordinarily quiet.

Kemper Amps:
http://www.kemper-amps.com/rigmanager
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/namm-...-profiler.html

BreakTweaker looks super, F|Ear!
Old 25.01.2014, 02:32 PM

If I were committed to the Mac as a platform, the new Apollo desktop interfaces would be of great interest to me. Sadly they pass over the PC so they aren't on the menu for me this year or perhaps at all... but who knows, maybe one day.

Would love to have all that DSP power for plugins.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/...e-apollo-twin/
Old 25.01.2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You can still get the pci-e from UAD which is probably the best solution imo. Plus, on the price range of this things, there's not nearly enough I/O connections there.

So, HDSP from RME + UAD duo or Quad is the way XD
Old 25.01.2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, Waldorf seems to be in good shape. Back to the roots even. They do have, already, an impressive line of products and god knows what will happen when they decide to go for a big one, similar do Q or Wave.

Roland could kill with simple reincarnations of their old stuff. But I somehow doubt they'll do that, and perhaps we'll see something as related to the originals as the MC303 was to the TB303, back in the day? Said it last year, if they do wake up and present their classics again, there's a ton of money waiting for them... SH101 would be on my list, priced similar to the Korg MS 20 - what's with the DIY thing? If I'm paying, I want it assembled XD Ok, but you get the regular size one...

New Moog looks and sounds amazing. Nord Lead A1 also looks nice but it's kind of expensive for what it does, would rather go with a Nord 4 or they could kill with a Modular G3 any given time - now that modular is regaining popularity and all of that.

The Electron drum machine sounds really dope! Could be the next classic on drum machines, sure looks very promising. Cheers
Old 25.01.2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
You can still get the pci-e from UAD which is probably the best solution imo. Plus, on the price range of this things, there's not nearly enough I/O connections there.
You're right, but the interface is one piece of gear I like having externally, having a physical knob for each pre-amp, and being able to easily move from PC to Mac if I want, etc. I don't know if putting one of the pci-e cards in just for the DSP benefit would play well with a different interface... they say if you start working with the UAD stuff you kind of have to go all in and do everything the UAD way.
Old 25.01.2014, 07:55 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yeah, Waldorf seems to be in good shape. Back to the roots even. They do have, already, an impressive line of products and god knows what will happen when they decide to go for a big one, similar do Q or Wave.

Roland could kill with simple reincarnations of their old stuff. But I somehow doubt they'll do that, and perhaps we'll see something as related to the originals as the MC303 was to the TB303, back in the day? Said it last year, if they do wake up and present their classics again, there's a ton of money waiting for them... SH101 would be on my list, priced similar to the Korg MS 20 - what's with the DIY thing? If I'm paying, I want it assembled XD Ok, but you get the regular size one...

New Moog looks and sounds amazing. Nord Lead A1 also looks nice but it's kind of expensive for what it does, would rather go with a Nord 4 or they could kill with a Modular G3 any given time - now that modular is regaining popularity and all of that.

The Electron drum machine sounds really dope! Could be the next classic on drum machines, sure looks very promising. Cheers
As far as Elektron go, and from first-hand experience with Analog Four and even a MonoMachine--Elektron definitely has quite the knack for strategically "crippling certain functions" as to do two or more things in their oddly aggressive marketing to their 'fanboys'--
1)They will leave off utilitarian functions such as midi out on the Analog Four, because they want you to buy their Octatrack in addition in order to 'get' that function, while they even advertise 'full midi specifications' on said 'crippled machine',
and
2)Way beyond any language barrier--their 'Reference Manuals' are every bit only a 'reference', not comprehensive operating instructions, and,
3)We synth-heads whom have other keyboards and/or modules in set-up that would like to only *augment* and *integrate* an Elektron machine into our set-ups are repeatedly left with a crap taste in mouths because Electron machines *demand* to be the center of ones set-up--not other way around, and lastly,
4)dislike saying this but check for yourselves, whether it be Sound Cloud or You Tube--I swear *almost all* music sequences done on Elektron set-ups pretty much sound similar with bleep/bloop maniacal sequences that have no song structure because seems the 'Elektron Way' is improvised everything and if you indeed WANT to use what's called 'song mode' and perhaps try to chain patterns together....good luck on that....the most egregious representation of hardware being needlessly non-intuitive.

What I just want to make very clear is fact that YOU must bend to 'the Elektron Way', which is aggressively anti-DAW, with most of their fan boys even convinced the Analog Four easily replaces any Virus or otherwise!!

Yes, this was an important and expensive lesson learned and will just say a Quasimidi Polymorph from 1999 is a much more capable hardware sequencer that will actually polyphonically sequence external gear as well...or get an used Spektralis 2...or continue using your DAW. Heck, even a Yamaha RM1X sequencer from also, 1999, is MUCH more utilitarian because you could have a midi chain of your hardware synths and intuitive to use at that.

On a not so grim note--yes, Waldorf is doing well. There's even now a TBMS (TB Midi Stuff) iOS App Template Editor for new Pulse 2 and seems Waldorf are in a position to do something big and knobby in near distant future. I already have had a Classic Pulse Plus module, so decided to hold off, but whilst demoing it, it sure makes most other analog offerings, save from modular, seem like mere toys.
Old 26.01.2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

I personally dont understand why anyone would want to spend a good chunk of money on a drum machine in this day & age. Even revamping the 808/909 seems totally backward to me. The chinese guy saying "I would use the same cymbal again" says it all. There is so much really good drum software out there & hybrids like the Maschine that they seem so redundant & restrictive to making beats it's retarded.
As for access being a no show @ the show...seriously is anyone genuinely surprised I don't know why they have bothered the last 2 previous years...actually I do, & if you're smart so do you It's called keeping up appearance's.