Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 02.06.2008, 11:44 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Access - Nord2

Hola,

I was wondering if anyone out there owns a nord lead 2. Not to sound arrogant, and although I dislike using the word "comparison'', how would you compare it to a Virus(B\C)? But treating both as separate dynamic units themselves.

-Jayson
Old 02.06.2008, 08:00 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I used to have a nord lead 3 which is pretty much the same. I think the virus is much better suited to the kind of sounds which I go for now. This could be due to the fact that is has effects built in, and that means I can make more organic ambient style sounds. THis does seem to have an effect on the kind of sounds you make, rather than simply using an effect plugin on a dry sound. I was choosing between a nord lead 3, or a virus c at the time, and thought that not having effects built in doesnt matter, because i could just add the plugins over the top, But once I got the virus, i realised how much having them on the thing effects the sounds you make (just my opinion). The nord 3 was a bit sexier though, and was a lot of fun to make sounds with. I just think you can probably do a lot more with the virus aswell, it's much more in-depth. I don't have much experiance though, so what I say could be wrong. I own a virus TI desktop, and think the Virus control funcion is also extremely usefull, as it saves you having to bounce down audio, and saving sounds is easier.
Old 02.06.2008, 11:43 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Hostilio,

Interesting tale. I also think a built in effects generator is a definite necessity to the virus creative process, not just the generator but the modulation options as well. A few years ago when I lusted over VA's I never had the chance to play with, I contemplated buying a 2x, had no idea it had no internal effects. If you don't mind me asking, what was your reason for selling the NL3? Was watching some 2x vids on pubetube, I'd like to have a solid experiment with one some day.

Regards,

Jayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileReality View Post
I used to have a nord lead 3 which is pretty much the same. I think the virus is much better suited to the kind of sounds which I go for now. This could be due to the fact that is has effects built in, and that means I can make more organic ambient style sounds. THis does seem to have an effect on the kind of sounds you make, rather than simply using an effect plugin on a dry sound. I was choosing between a nord lead 3, or a virus c at the time, and thought that not having effects built in doesnt matter, because i could just add the plugins over the top, But once I got the virus, i realised how much having them on the thing effects the sounds you make (just my opinion). The nord 3 was a bit sexier though, and was a lot of fun to make sounds with. I just think you can probably do a lot more with the virus aswell, it's much more in-depth. I don't have much experiance though, so what I say could be wrong. I own a virus TI desktop, and think the Virus control funcion is also extremely usefull, as it saves you having to bounce down audio, and saving sounds is easier.
Old 03.06.2008, 12:03 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Jayson,

I own both a Virus KC and a NL2. Hands down the KC is my favorite of these two; the Virus is my favorite synth of all frankly. The NL2 does some pretty neat stuff though. I love cruncy, nasty basses on my NL2, I also like some of the pads/ambient tones it can crank out. I think the fact that the NL2 has no FX onboard is overall limiting, but once you accept it as a separate and distinct synth from te Virus, it is still very cool in its own right. Tweaking on the NL2 is different than on a Virus, the workflow is different, the filters are WAY different, but its still a cool experience, IMHO.

If you want to tinker with a NL2 but don't want to risk the purchase of a hardware board/rack, then you NEED to check out discoDSP (Discovery), which is a VST synth whose interface looks suspiciously like a NL2's and that coincidently enough can load (and comes with) all of the NL2, 2x, and NL2 ROM card banks ready for your review, YES even the demo available on the website:

http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

The demo will emit a hissing sound every minute or so but is notlimited by time to my knowledge. I've had it on my system for many moons now! I've thought of hocking my NL2 and using the $$$ to buy a Novation Remote 37 SL and Discovery, as I would still have the same synth (essentially) as well as an automap ecapable MIDI controller (WAY Cool!). I can't bring myselfv to sell the red lady yet though, we'll see what happens in the next few months.

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 04.06.2008, 02:26 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Alex,

Concerning DiscoDSP, yeah I see what you mean, the layout appears very similar. When I was watching NL2 videos I started to imagine what I would do with the thing if it was in front of me, I really liked the basses I heard. I once played an NL1 early on when I was first discovering synthesis and I owned my an1x and a JX3p.

Anyways, thanks for the link to DiscoDSP, glad there's a demo.

Regards,

Jayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74 View Post
Jayson,

I own both a Virus KC and a NL2. Hands down the KC is my favorite of these two; the Virus is my favorite synth of all frankly. The NL2 does some pretty neat stuff though. I love cruncy, nasty basses on my NL2, I also like some of the pads/ambient tones it can crank out. I think the fact that the NL2 has no FX onboard is overall limiting, but once you accept it as a separate and distinct synth from te Virus, it is still very cool in its own right. Tweaking on the NL2 is different than on a Virus, the workflow is different, the filters are WAY different, but its still a cool experience, IMHO.

If you want to tinker with a NL2 but don't want to risk the purchase of a hardware board/rack, then you NEED to check out discoDSP (Discovery), which is a VST synth whose interface looks suspiciously like a NL2's and that coincidently enough can load (and comes with) all of the NL2, 2x, and NL2 ROM card banks ready for your review, YES even the demo available on the website:

http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

The demo will emit a hissing sound every minute or so but is notlimited by time to my knowledge. I've had it on my system for many moons now! I've thought of hocking my NL2 and using the $$$ to buy a Novation Remote 37 SL and Discovery, as I would still have the same synth (essentially) as well as an automap ecapable MIDI controller (WAY Cool!). I can't bring myselfv to sell the red lady yet though, we'll see what happens in the next few months.

-Alex
Old 04.06.2008, 02:38 AM
Infektion taking hold...

lol @ 'the red lady'

as for me selling my nord, actually it got stolen. I left it in my room when i quit uni, and the room got broken into before i came back to pick it up. But, I got 3/4 of the money needed for a virus ti desktop from the insurance payout, so it worked out in my favour really. I do miss the thing in a way, it was a nord 3, and was very futuristic looking with all the lights. The 'infinity' dials or whatever they're called are also really helpful as they show you exactly what positions the dials are set to for each seperate sound with LED's. the layout seems more simple than the virus, and is nice to work with. But really i much prefer the virus overall
Old 04.06.2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileReality View Post
lol @ 'the red lady'

as for me selling my nord, actually it got stolen. I left it in my room when i quit uni, and the room got broken into before i came back to pick it up. But, I got 3/4 of the money needed for a virus ti desktop from the insurance payout, so it worked out in my favour really. I do miss the thing in a way, it was a nord 3, and was very futuristic looking with all the lights. The 'infinity' dials or whatever they're called are also really helpful as they show you exactly what positions the dials are set to for each seperate sound with LED's. the layout seems more simple than the virus, and is nice to work with. But really i much prefer the virus overall
Yep, if I had a big chunk of change I would mod a Virus Ti to have the Infinity LED knobs of the NL3, BUT, my LEDs would be green. Muhahaaaa!!!

The guy who stole your board will burn in G.A.S. hell. Stealing a synthesizer is the crime of a filthy pig. I hope the thief lays with a disease ridden prostitute.
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 12.06.2008, 07:31 PM

I think the perception of whether a synth is good or not depends on whether you've seen it being used in professional context

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ

All synths sound shit if you cant play them live, cant sequence them properly or pick the wrong sound for the style of playing.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 12.06.2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS View Post
I think the perception of whether a synth is good or not depends on whether you've seen it being used in professional context

All synths sound shit if you cant play them live, cant sequence them properly or pick the wrong sound for the style of playing.

DS
No shit, Jago!

Nice video, by the way.
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 12.06.2008, 11:30 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS View Post

DS
Agreed DS.

Great vid, that pad at the start is tits.

-J