Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 25.11.2004, 11:53 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Question about DJ mix tape (CD)

HELP!!!!

I have a friend coming round to put together a compilation for a local label, they have supplied the CD's and tracklist, and want him to mix it.

He is a HipHop DJ, and can scratch well, and is using a Pioneer CDJ1000 (Only 1). I am using Cubase SX 2.023

He has kinda left things till the last minute and thinks he can come around and knock it over in about 2 hours, and I have tried to explain that we might (probably) need more time, especially if he doesnt want to put something out national that is not of good quality. My question is....whats the best way of doing this???

Should I start by getting the first track to the desired BPM, using the CDJ1000, and record this. Then, cue up the next track and get him to beatmix it in, at the point he wants, and then overdub any other scratching he wants to do....and then same thing. Cue next track on CDJ, and find the drop point etc.....

I know there is software out there that will stretch in real time (Ableton Live) and Im not so sure if I can do this in SX. Should I Import all tracks into SX, stretch them accordingly to whatever BPM, mix them within SX, and then just get him to do some scratching over the top? If so, how do I do this, or is it better to at least have some live mixing instead of doing it all via software

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!!!

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 25.11.2004, 11:03 PM

My first question, how can he mix with only one CDDJ thing?

I helped with a recording for a DJ here, and we just took whole takes until he was happy.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.11.2004, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
My first question, how can he mix with only one CDDJ thing?
Well, he usually uses turntables (Vinyl), but has a CDJ1000 for stuff like scrathing his MC's vocals etc

Anyways, I am just worried that we wil put something out there that is shithouse, and ruin my name....Alot of "Mix tapes" I hear have alot of production involved....like looping extra bits, mixing in other songs...I dont know

And how do I time stretch a whole song in SX>>>I mean, obviously i know how to time stretch, but how do I take a whole song, figure out the exact BPM, and then figure out how to stretch it to the right time using the little arrow Time stretch pointer thingy and dragging the audio event?????? i think I am out of my depths here, and dont have time to sus it out

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 29.11.2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Question about DJ mix tape (CD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Should I start by getting the first track to the desired BPM, using the CDJ1000, and record this. Then, cue up the next track and get him to beatmix it in, at the point he wants, and then overdub any other scratching he wants to do....and then same thing. Cue next track on CDJ, and find the drop point etc.....
8O

you are missing the point of a mix cd. if a dj is putting his name to the mix then he should do just that - mix it.
any respectable dj would find it laughable that someone would do this via a sequencer
i would suggest that you tell your mate if he wants you to record this demo that he finds himself a second cdj (there are countless dj hire stores in syd) - and get him to organise his set at home before he comes to you:
the most i ever need to pull off a decent demo is tracks written down in order with relative pitch differences in %......
while listening through and making this list i might add a few footnotes if some of the tracks are new and unfamiliar, such as noting times where tracks drop out early, or if there is a particularly good spot to get in for the mix for instance.
record the basic beatmatched set first and use your sequencer for the scratch track if need be.
just a suggestion jase - i have organised my fair share of parties with djs that have been round long enough to know better - but i swear theres not many djs around that truly understand the concept of running a mixing desk at line level (some people just equate louder with better)
get him to cue up his first track... run it through to a section where the track is at maximum level and set the gain and eq trim for him on that channel as an example of what you expect throughout the mix.... to tell you the truth if you want it done right run him into your desk and just let him worry about keeping things in time

hope this has been of some help jase, and i hope it came in time
Old 30.11.2004, 11:59 AM

It didnt even bloody happen!!! Bloody stoners

You know the majority of dance "Mix" CD's are not mixed live....ie Kid Kenobis ministry stuff.......But I agree completely with what you were saying Blay...

Anyways, thanks for all the input

Old 01.12.2004, 03:05 AM
Pro
Pro

The majority is mixed by us real djs and its just the fuckwits at ministry of sound and gatecrasher that don't have any talent that sequence their mixes.

Don't confuse real djs with those dickheads
Old 01.12.2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
The majority is mixed by us real djs and its just the fuckwits at ministry of sound and gatecrasher that don't have any talent that sequence their mixes.

Don't confuse real djs with those dickheads
The DJ's that sequence thier mixes are still "Real" DJ's....for example, Ihave seen Kid Kenobi mix a few shows and he is rock solid, but they choose to use a sequencer as editing and compilation allows a lot more creativity.....

I dont think it is cheating, I just think the concept of MIX TAPE has changed. With these commercial CD's, people either:

a) Dont give a shit
b) Dont realise they are not mixed live

There is still skill involved when sequencing tracks for a compilation....plus you can make sure there are no timing discrepancies and clean things up alot, or change the length of breaks, add new vocal tracks from other songs, and generally be a little more creative with the mixes, doing stuff that you could simply not achieve doing a live mix

I dont think we should discredit the DJ's sequencing their mix tapes....It's not as if they cant mix...well, maybe some cant......

Old 14.01.2005, 03:21 AM
Pro
Pro

If they could mix, they wouldn't need any of those things. It takes real skill to put together a 1 hour + mix with every mix flawless and it might not come off first time, but if your gonna call it a mix tape, Someone better bloodywell be mixing it :P

It took me approx 5 years to put a mix cd together that was live and I was completely happy with. Dunno if I'll ever get it quite as good again
Old 14.01.2005, 02:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Yeah I've been djing for almost 4 years and the first CD I'm ever happy with is this one: http://www.montreal-raves.com/downlo...=getit&lid=153

Tracklisting(mostly breaks):
01 Infusion - Legacy(Junkie XL remix)
02 Chable&Bonnici - Ride
03 Hyper - Outsider
04 Rob D - Clubbed to death(hybrid remix)
05 Move Ya! & Steve Lavers - Monkey Scratch
06 Lucky 7 VS Scot Project - U
07 Lee Coombs & Dylan Rhymes - Alright all night
08 Snuff - Hot 4 U
09 Moguai - Get On(Hyper remix)
10 Adam Freeland - We want your soul
11 Nirvana vs Adam Freeland - Smells like teen spirit

Really not easy to get it right on the first attempt lol
Old 14.01.2005, 08:09 PM
Pro
Pro

The one that I'm happy with, was funny really, I just pulled 15 records outta the crate that I really liked, put them in the order I was gonna mix them, hit record and the rest is history

Like I said before though, it took five years to get to that point.

I was thinking about it last night and I think people are confusing mix cds with compilation cds.

There is a very important difference