Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

View Poll Results: Will Oasys drive the company into bankrupcy
Yes. 11 42.31%
Nope. 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24.01.2005, 06:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

When kurzweil just released their K2600 with its tons of innovative options at that time it costed around 6000$, so if there were people who could afford that 2600 beast, then i think there are certainly those who may afford an Oasys workstation at 8000$, big post prod studios usually love those kind of sophisticated machines, so they can certainly buy it. I don't think it is going to bankrupt, the price will certainly drop but never by 50% so that modest-2500euro-virus users could buy it, we are definetly not the targeted market.
Old 24.01.2005, 07:46 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

I'm not really convinced that they made it to sell. I think of it kind of like the Cadillac Sixteen: they just made it to show what they could make. For a company that has that much money, they probably learned a lot in the development of it that will trickle down into products that are actually desirable in a consumer driven market.

Listening to the thing, though, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind shelling out 8 large for it. I think it's just more of a statement: "Look, now there's a workstation that replaces the entire studio. No, seriously, look....HEY over here!!!" Something like that....
Old 24.01.2005, 11:47 AM
Pro
Pro

Panopticon, I was thinking exactly the same. Maybe we'll see some cheaper products which use some of the oasys technology or something.
Old 24.01.2005, 12:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I don't reckon that Korg are going to go bankrupt (considering the success of all of their earlier synths), but I do reckon they're going to have to drop their price on that Oasys, big time. It's just not worth anywhere near that much cash, with the current spec's and bundled "software instruments".
Old 08.02.2005, 05:23 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

These threads always crack me up.

So many people with strong opinions that have never heard or tried it in the first place.
Basing their bashing purely on a pricetag that is way out of reach of your average home musician is just silly. You dont hear people on car forums bashing the price of the latest top of the line Astin Martin, BMW, or Ferrari.
Someone also brought up a reasonably good point in abother thread here about the original tag price of the Jupiter 8 being $6000 or some of Kurzweil's overpriced monsters.

I look at it this way. The only way i would be buying the oasys is if my studio burned down and i got a crapload of insurance money to replace my gear.
In this respect i could easily shrink most of my studio into this one machine.

Also, the oasys is nothing new. This is technology that they abandoned a few years ago that they are bringing back with alot of other brand new technologies.
What does this mean to the average home studio musician?
Nothing right now, but I'd wager that korg will be releasing dozens of smaller products to spin off the new technology found in the oasys.
If you actualy look under the hood of the oasys, its pretty similar to the Eko Opensynth. All built on PC components. I'm seeing a huge potential for PC accessories taken from the oasys.
Old 09.02.2005, 01:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bjorktribe

Man, I'd hate to see korg go. I don't think they will either. The Oaysis will simply be under produced and become a rare thing to see in a studio. Soft synths and keyboard controllers will soon be walking in hordes all over the 8K price tag - or are they already? Korg needed something to show. They got it. They're happy. Lets make something more accessible now, huh?
Old 09.02.2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorktribe
Soft synths and keyboard controllers will soon be walking in hordes all over the 8K price tag - or are they already?
They are already. $8k is such big heap of money that you can get everything as sepperate synths/software that Oasys has and it will sound seven times better. Like I said Oasys is not totally bad synth. The problem is just that it's not worth of the price.
Old 12.02.2005, 10:42 PM

I didnt vote because I really dont know. Korg have so many products....so diversified.....they would be unlikely to go under.

Now, If Korg have had made a 16 voice analog poly synth then id say $8000 would be reasonable. It is a shame so few companies are making true analog polysynths. Its only a matter of time before VA gets maxed out (how many features do you really need?)....before manufacturers will be forced to offer something novel again (i.e. true analog poly's).

Thats just my opinion....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.05.2005, 10:32 PM
Pro
Pro

I am more interested to see who will buy the OASYS. $8000.00 8O
Old 11.05.2005, 04:51 AM

can we add another option to the poll:
3."dont care either way..."

never owned or used any korg gear (beside an old ms20 which i loved).

cheers

blay