Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 15.06.2006, 07:07 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I would suggest keep the 824s and augment with a Mackie HRS120

Old 15.06.2006, 08:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

accualy i would add 5 more 646 to that 12` Sub to creat a 7.1 NOISE.
Old 15.06.2006, 08:42 AM

I am still surprised by the fact people are recommending the krks.

I dont care how flat a monitor is - if cant listen to it for more than an hour at a time then it is basically useless.

Try the new tannoy reveal active range. Or stick to something tried and proven like the dynies.

cheers

Blay
Old 15.06.2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
Yep...I didnt want to say anything, but the KRK's are average sounding monitors IMO. Stay well away...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 15.06.2006, 12:02 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
I would suggest keep the 824s and augment with a Mackie HRS120

Just remember to drive the HRS120 "active bass trap" in negative phase.
Old 15.06.2006, 11:53 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Quote:
Yep...I didnt want to say anything, but the KRK's are average sounding monitors IMO. Stay well away...
Agreed, I am amazed at how many people rave about them. I almost bought some until I listened to the Event ASP8's. No comparison.

jackholexxxx
Old 16.06.2006, 05:44 AM

I should have clarified - I view the krks a little like the old NS-10s - if you can make it sound good on them it will prob sound good on most systems, which is really what you are looking for in a studio monitor... the ability to make a mix translate on as many different systems as possible.

However, IMO it is just as important to have monitors which arent fatiguing. It doesnt matter if they lack in certain frequency ranges, as long as you are aware of the short-comings and can compensate accordingly....

In short - no point buying monitors that you dont like listening to. I like monitors that combine good monitoring with good listening...

cheers

Blay
Old 16.06.2006, 08:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Im coming to the conclusion I need both - something that I can stand to listen to all day, and does a decent job of reproducing the energy of kicks and bass (to give the vibe and energy when just playing), and then a second pair purely for getting the mix right - probably smaller (5" maybe), much more accurate, less prone to triggering bass modes in the room, and generally just much more brutally honest...

For the former - Im using Event TR8XL very nice flat non fatiguing sound, but they seem to be really sensitive to their environment. For the latter - Im looking for something suitable - I was allmost tempted by the little triple-p pyramids, but they mean getting a suitable power amp as they are passive.

Either way - in my studio (in a rented house, so I cant really do much about the accoustics) the Events seem to be completely impossible to mix on - they are interacting with the room way too much - shame - they were really great in the last place (in what I thought was a much less ideal room and placement). - Ive tried alternative placements, on stand, off stand, accoustic damping on the stands.. etc etc - nothing helps.

Anyway - so another one here looking for something to mix on

Currently thinking maybe Genelec 8020A/8030A...
Old 16.06.2006, 11:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
I should have clarified - I view the krks a little like the old NS-10s - if you can make it sound good on them it will prob sound good on most systems, which is really what you are looking for in a studio monitor... the ability to make a mix translate on as many different systems as possible.
I disagree,
IMO what you should look in a monitor is clearaty and detail. (you will not find this in the ns10s)
some of the highend studio monitors today are amazing in that aspect (dynaudio,adam,EMS etc...).

flat can never achived in home\project\not spacialy designed spaces and even in most proffesional studios no matter how flat are the monitors being used- dou to the room.
anyway, check the monitors under your home studio conditions and choose the one which works the best for you and your enviroment.
spend your money on acoustics rather then buying another gudget or a synth,it will serve better in the long term.
Old 16.06.2006, 05:41 PM
Pro
Pro

Which ever monitors you're going with, use an analog volume controller for them (passive if possible)! I just got an M-Patch 2 passive volume controller today and the sound is now alot better than before when I used my 828 mk2's digital volume control. At the worst case (when playing at low volumes) the bit depth of the motu's output was only 10-12 bits. Now I get full 24 bits and maximum output signal from d/a to the mpatch2 and to the monitors. The bass is more dynamic, powerful, goes lower almost as if I had just added a sub. The highs are alot clearer and transparent. My BM15's sound just amazing now!