Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 13.05.2004, 01:57 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Just thought I'd update this thread as last week I bought a RME HDSP9632 soundcard to replace my M-Audio 2496.

Everything is soooo much better now - my music is perfectly in time now, both MIDI and Audio. When I have finished a track I can mixdwon from Cubase via the optical out and then back into the soundcard via the optical in - which by the way is a fantastic tip!

Try recording down via a Sequencer mixdown (the kind where the computer goes away and thinks about it and then voila a wav file appears).

Then, if you can, record down exactly the same mix by taking the audio out a digital output and then in a digital input on the soundcard. You will find that the second recording is a lot more alive! It sounds as it did when you were mixing it down which I can never quite get when using Cubase's mixdown function (it seems to crunch the sound somewhat - some of the life gets drained from it).

Anyway the new level of clarity that all my hardware gives me is simply jaw-dropping - it is far more impressive than when I was using 48 channels of analogue mixing desks!

I can also now use Sounddiver without ANY errors as it has fixed MIDI syncing problems that the Audiophile was causing.

Yours wowwedly!

Martyn
P4 2.8 GHz HT, 1.25 Gb RAM, RME HDSP9632, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Powercore PCI, UAD-1, Cubase SL2.0, Atmosphere, Trilogy, Stylus, Machfive, Waldorf PPG & Attack, Virus XL, TC Electronic Triple C, Lexicon MPX500, Yamaha A4000, Soundcraft Absolut 2's
Old 13.05.2004, 09:36 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Good for you man!!

I too have been really overwhelmed on how much better my stuff sounds!
Alot cleaner! just bought my slef another monitor screnn for soundcard mixer and SX mixer and Bobs your unkle!! No fucking about!!

I got a delta 10/10 and havnt doen a mixdown yet but so far so good! except one thing the inputs from outboard gear is quite low! need everything on soundcard mixer to get reasonable signal! Cant seem to even get to -5bd

But yeah mixer No more for me! very happy!