Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 31.07.2002, 07:51 PM

Default Creating different types of sounds from scratch

Are there any good resources for learning how to create different types of sounds? Or maybe we can start a thread here of how to create sounds on the Virus. I've read about subtractive synthesis and I understand the basic concepts. But when I start editing a preset on the Virus, I'm just totally confused as to how the sound was created in the first place. Maybe some of you can colaborate and come up with a sound patch FAQ for the Virus. There can be chapters on lead synths, bass synths, percussion, acoustic-sounding instruments, etc.. Okay, I guess I can dream, right?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01.08.2002, 02:36 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Sound Design

Wizoo offers a good book on analog synthesis which is easy to read yet very informative. Check it out: http://www.wizoo.com
Old 01.08.2002, 02:41 AM
New here
New here

Cool! And welcome to the forum Lunar!

Dan: Personally I just reverse engineer sounds I wanna learn how to make. Like just fiddle with one setting at a time till I break down what makes the sound what it is, then I know how they did it
Sadness is a barnacle clinging to your bright boat. You won't let it sink your spirits if you'll only learn to float. We are all sea captains, sailing on life's rough seas. Come on you Magellan's, come with me I've got Pie; Happiness Pie.
Old 01.08.2002, 01:19 PM

I own that book to. It is really good. It explains anlogue syntheis very good.

BW
http://herbalchemy.com/FREETIBET.JPG
http://www.freetibet.org/
Old 01.08.2002, 05:47 PM

Default found a great source!

First, thanks for the replies! Second, I'm going to answer my own question I found this incredible online source at www.studiocovers.com. Just click on the Synthesis link at the top of the page and scroll down to the SoundForum articles. All the articles on the Synthesis page are good, but the SoundForum is a multi-part tutorial from Keyboard magazine that uses the NI SoundForum free softsynth! It's great because I can follow along and get hands on experience while I'm learning. After each tutorial I tried to duplicate the sound I created with the SoundForum synth on the Virus. The terms are a bit different, but after looking through the Virus manual and comparing the controls, I'm beginning to figure it out. It's like a light bulb finally turned on over my head! I can't wait to continue with the tutorials tonight.

Happy Tweaking!
Dan
Old 22.10.2003, 06:31 PM
New here
New here

I could need a kick start on learning to program and understand the virus. If any virus owner here could write down a physical instruction of making a patch. I would be greatfull. It helped me out with my Supernova II.
Old 22.10.2003, 08:40 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleven
It helped me out with my Supernova II.
If you know Supernova II, you'll know Virus. The programming process is identical.
Old 22.10.2003, 09:26 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleven
It helped me out with my Supernova II.
If you know Supernova II, you'll know Virus. The programming process is identical.
To me, the MOD/ENV section is the problem.
Every one says it's identical, to me it isn't. I've had the virus since june. I can only make organ. Maby i'm blind. I don't know. the chemistry do not match. The manual. If I just could get one person, to give me a physical discription of making one patch. In one of the forum's i've tried, every member in the last forum, did say I didn't read the manual. wich isn't true.

Any one out there?
Old 22.10.2003, 10:47 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Use search. I've explained the ModMatrix and LFO operation thousand times. And yes, it is in the manual. Don't be afraid to try the best way ever to know how things work: trial and error.
Old 26.10.2003, 09:19 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to DJ DnA

maybe a stupid question but what is the book called, cant find it on the page...