Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 16.02.2004, 09:13 AM
New here
New here

Default can you make something compressor-ish on the virus?

Hey everybody,

Great forum, congratulations to the administrators for putting together such an impressive tool. I have had a virus C for a little over a year now but this is my first post on this site, although I have looked at it quite a few times.

Anyway, my question...

I was wondering if it was possible to creat a VC patch that could be used as a compressor? Something that used the input follower or the vocoder, so that you could route a bass patch or whatever through the compressor patch using the internal signal sends?

I am expecting the answer to be "no" to this question... I know it sounds kind of stupid. I was thinking that maybe you could use the input follower and maybe one of the distortion patches or somethng? I don't know...

Much appreciated, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Cheers, T.
Old 16.02.2004, 10:52 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

The question is what quality on such kind of compressot you're wanting...

One principle is to lower some of the frequencies with a bandpass filter, so that you get a more plain frequency curve of the sound. (Lower the frequencies with the highest peaks.) And then bosting with the eq or just raising the out level. the problem is that the bass sound probably contain a lot of peaks at different frequencies, and it can be quite hard to find them...

I suppose this method really belongs somewhere about 50 years ago or something when someone just got the idea of the whole compressor thing. Very very basic.
Old 16.02.2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hmm... You really can't use Virus as a compressor, but you can get some compressorish feel. Use the input follower and set negative volume control for the envelope and add some attack on the envelope + sustain to maximum. I've never tried that one, but it could get you somewhere.