Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 21.05.2008, 08:10 PM
New here
New here

Default [Unsolved] Virus TI Desktop and Logic 8

Hello everyone, just need a little help getting my gear setup. I did some searching but didnt find what I was looking for so decided to post this.

I'm using an Imac running Leopoard. I've got a Virus Ti desktop connect to a Axiom 61 keyboard midi controller. I' have the Virus plugged directly into a dedicated USB on my computer as well as the Axiom. The Virus is connected into the Midi In from the Axioms Midi out.

Honestly I really have no idea what Im doing here. When I play the demo song I can only hear it through my headphones plugged into the Virus. Is there no way to hear it through my speakers on my computer?

Also to be honest I'm not exactly sure as to how you load the virus into a new project in Logic. I hope that Im just doing something simply wrong. I want to be able to hear the Virus through my computer speakers. Can anybody help?
Old 22.05.2008, 06:21 AM
New here
New here

I assume you are not using your virus as your main sound card in logic:

Are you using the Virus Control software VST?

If you are not loading the VST Virus Control then you will not automatically get sound from the Virus delivered to your sound card without connecting the actual audio outputs of the virus desktop to your sound card inputs.

Chances are this is your issue. Load the VST in logic and all will be well (hopefully).

The other thing is that you do not need to connect the axiom to both the virus AND the computer. The routing in logic should be In: axiom, out: virus vst OR in: axiom, out: sound card midi out (connected to the virus). Forgive me if this is inaccurate as I am using cubase knowledge to apply to logic and it might be slightly different.

Either way, not really necessary to have both methods connected. You could especially be running to problems if the axiom only sends midi out from one method (usb or straight midi). My keyboard has this limitation. I don't want to confuse you but if you have both connected and it is only truly sending out of the midi port then there is no midi going to your computer (ie, the usb isn't actually transmitting). You will run into problems with the virus vst if this is the case.

Note: I just want to clarify this, if you have your logic set up correctly it will not be necessary to connect the axiom directly to the virus. Logic will route the midi received from the USB of the axiom to the Virus. If you are not using the control vst, you might start to have difficulties.

Last edited by rr123 : 22.05.2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 22.05.2008, 07:21 PM
New here
New here

O.K., I wanted to read some manuals before I reposted. I'm completely new at Logic Pro and I'm not used to it yet. How do I load a VST in Logic? I have a book I bought but its for Logic 7 and I'm starting to think there is a considerable difference in the two.

So, using the Virus VST basically the actually desktop is a controller? So in this case is does the Virus basically become a soft synth?

To be honest, I bought my Virus for one very specific purpose and that is because of the sound all my favorite producers are making with it but this is the very first piece of hardware I've used. I've usually just been doing things in Ableton.
Old 22.05.2008, 11:54 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseoulkr View Post
O.K., I wanted to read some manuals before I reposted. I'm completely new at Logic Pro and I'm not used to it yet. How do I load a VST in Logic? I have a book I bought but its for Logic 7 and I'm starting to think there is a considerable difference in the two.

So, using the Virus VST basically the actually desktop is a controller? So in this case is does the Virus basically become a soft synth?

To be honest, I bought my Virus for one very specific purpose and that is because of the sound all my favorite producers are making with it but this is the very first piece of hardware I've used. I've usually just been doing things in Ableton.
If you use the Virus VST, you're essentially using the Virus as a soft synth, yes. But, all the VST does is aid you to control your Virus, it is still the Virus doing all the work. You will find it is very useful. Much more convenient. You can still turn the physical knobs/controls but you have an option to do it with mouse on the vst's window.

My first question would be, have you installed the software?

Go to http://www.access-music.de/

Click Support, choose your Virus type in the Hardware related downloads and select this package:

Virus TI Software 2.5.1 Installer for Mac OS X (with videos)
*** DON\'T USE WITH VIRUS TI SNOW *** Virus TI Software Installer and Firmware Updater package for Mac OS X (for both PowerPC and Intel based Macs). For more information please read the addendum which is a part of the installer package.

This package comes with instructional videos for loading your virus in the various hosts. This is the 2.5.1 software for your virus for Mac OS. There is a public beta for a new version (2.7) but it is not fully stable so stick to the latest stable install. It will both update the software on your virus and the vst software/drivers to use the virus on your computer.

I'm sure someone who uses Logic might pipe in but it should be fairly well documented how to load the virus VST and I sincerely doubt it has changed much from 7->8. If the Virus software hasn't been installed then there is no way you will be able to load the viruscontrol plugin.

Once you have installed the software, you will discover that you can use your virus in ableton, too. There is a video instructing you on how to do this with that package. You might find it easier to cut your teeth with loading it and playing around in live (though in my opinion, the routing setup for the virus in live is not very novice friendly).

I certainly don't mean any offence here, but it would seem you've never used a VST softsynth either?

I hope this gets you a bit further, don't get discouraged, the virus is every bit as good as the money would imply.
Old 23.05.2008, 02:42 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr123 View Post
If you use the Virus VST, you're essentially using the Virus as a soft synth, yes. But, all the VST does is aid you to control your Virus, it is still the Virus doing all the work. You will find it is very useful. Much more convenient. You can still turn the physical knobs/controls but you have an option to do it with mouse on the vst's window.

My first question would be, have you installed the software?

Go to http://www.access-music.de/

Click Support, choose your Virus type in the Hardware related downloads and select this package:

Virus TI Software 2.5.1 Installer for Mac OS X (with videos)
*** DON\'T USE WITH VIRUS TI SNOW *** Virus TI Software Installer and Firmware Updater package for Mac OS X (for both PowerPC and Intel based Macs). For more information please read the addendum which is a part of the installer package.

This package comes with instructional videos for loading your virus in the various hosts. This is the 2.5.1 software for your virus for Mac OS. There is a public beta for a new version (2.7) but it is not fully stable so stick to the latest stable install. It will both update the software on your virus and the vst software/drivers to use the virus on your computer.

I'm sure someone who uses Logic might pipe in but it should be fairly well documented how to load the virus VST and I sincerely doubt it has changed much from 7->8. If the Virus software hasn't been installed then there is no way you will be able to load the viruscontrol plugin.

Once you have installed the software, you will discover that you can use your virus in ableton, too. There is a video instructing you on how to do this with that package. You might find it easier to cut your teeth with loading it and playing around in live (though in my opinion, the routing setup for the virus in live is not very novice friendly).

I certainly don't mean any offence here, but it would seem you've never used a VST softsynth either?

I hope this gets you a bit further, don't get discouraged, the virus is every bit as good as the money would imply.
No offence taken. Im deffinately throwing up the I dont know anything flag. I've been dj'ing for 7 years and lately I've become tired of always playing others music, enter the virus. The only instruments I've used so far were the ones that came with either ableton or logic. But I heard a synth on a track from Aly & Fila that drove me crazy, I found out it was made with a Ti and here I am.

The software is installed on my mac. I have the 2.5 on the computer. I've been watching the videos but they dont show you how to load the VST in Logic, only how to manipulate it. I greatly appreciate all the help and the first thing I did this morning when I finished work was unplug the "extra" midi cable from my Ti and Axiom. If I plug my headphones into the TI I can hear what I'm playing that way, but, its all in the left of the headphones rather than centered.

I've got some time off work this weekend so I'm really hoping to get everything figured out and be able to look back at myself in a month or so and think "Man how could I be so dumb as not to know how to hook up a VST."
Old 23.05.2008, 01:11 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseoulkr View Post
No offence taken. Im deffinately throwing up the I dont know anything flag. I've been dj'ing for 7 years and lately I've become tired of always playing others music, enter the virus. The only instruments I've used so far were the ones that came with either ableton or logic. But I heard a synth on a track from Aly & Fila that drove me crazy, I found out it was made with a Ti and here I am.

The software is installed on my mac. I have the 2.5 on the computer. I've been watching the videos but they dont show you how to load the VST in Logic, only how to manipulate it. I greatly appreciate all the help and the first thing I did this morning when I finished work was unplug the "extra" midi cable from my Ti and Axiom. If I plug my headphones into the TI I can hear what I'm playing that way, but, its all in the left of the headphones rather than centered.

I've got some time off work this weekend so I'm really hoping to get everything figured out and be able to look back at myself in a month or so and think "Man how could I be so dumb as not to know how to hook up a VST."
Hosts are big things to learn. You get there in the end, though. Definitely worth it. Nobody is "dumb" because they couldn't do it at the start. These things come with gigantic manuals for a reason.

Unfortunately, I can't be of specific help with loading the VST as I've never used logic. How far are you getting on this. Can you load any plugins in logic?

Can you confirm to yourself that you can open a midi track in logic and put the axiom and see data is coming in when you play something? Can you record midi?

In cubase, atleast, you "load instrument" and then start a midi track with the input as your midi keyboard and the output as the instrument you have loaded (ie, Virus).
Old 27.05.2008, 01:17 AM
New here
New here

I'm following this thre3ad as I am in the same boat. This is all too confusing for me. I had my usb and midi in at the same time, will drop midi out.

I do have sound to the puter via the Motu ultralite.
Old 28.05.2008, 03:42 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

as it seems you may have to configure different outputs in the virus control,
in order to get the audio signal sent back into the host and from there to the soundcard ...
Old 28.05.2008, 03:26 PM
New here
New here

still trying and haven't managed to figure it out yet but I know it can be done and sooner or later I'll find my mistake.
Old 13.06.2008, 05:11 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Send a message via MSN to 4NDRW

hey, i plugged my virus into my mates mac the other weekend
he has logic 8
we got it running with one track, but took a fair amount of frustration to get it going in multi-timbral mode
(only because we didn't know where the option was, once found its really really easy)
this is all from memory, i'm used to cubase on pc

first.. follow the online vid to set it the audio preferences for logic

then in your project.. you just go "add new track"
you have a choice of Audio, Midi or Softsynth...
choose softsynth
choose virus control from the list
and...
there's a box on that same page for multitimbral or multichannel or somethin
choose it and make the number of tracks 16

logic then created 16 blank midi tracks we could chuck midi data on.
and you can select sounds and assignoutputs for those tracks from the viruscontrol plugin

its a little vague i'm sorry
but its the best i can remember
hopefully when you have this software in front of you, some of this will mean something..

--Andrew