Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 08.04.2013, 05:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Musikmesse 2013 releases

[Nord Lead 4]

[Nord Drum, and Nord Pad]

[Novation BassStation 2 (analogue)] [II]

[Waldorf Rocket (analogue)]

[MFB Dominion 1 analog synth] and [Tanzbär drum machine]

[Boss RC505 Loop station]

[Roland BK-9 backing keyboard]

New Korg analogue grooveboxes
Old 09.04.2013, 05:06 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Access, Dead or Alive ? we'll know at this Messe
Old 09.04.2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

It's a bit funny that rocket will be available before the Pulse 2! It doesn't make any sense, if that's the case. Could it be they weren't expecting this sudden rise of new mono analogues from almost every developer?

I don't think we'll see anything from Access this year. They're probably working on their integration before they jump into anything else. And that's wise on their behalf. Don't think they'll be tempted to jump into the analogue market either, it would be cool though.
Old 09.04.2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Images of the new Korg boxes - Volca Bass, Keys and Beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmusic View Post
Access, Dead or Alive ? we'll know at this Messe
Duplicated from here, Christoph Kemper (aka Kemper Digital), the founder and primary coder for the Virus ever since its first inception, has been working on a series of high-end profiling amplifiers for guitarists the last two years or so, the first of which was released in January 2012 last year. Several new versions debuted at the 2013 NAMM show earlier this year, and he's been working on a pitch-shifter for Musikmesse.

Guess the guy can't split himself in two and has chosen to expand into the guitar arena this last year. We may even have seen some of that technology trickle into the Virus in former updates (mainly OS v4), such as the stomp-box distortion models and speaker cabinet simulation.

Hope he doesn't take too long on amps, though. The rest of the synth world is advancing in a prolific fashion, particularly VSTi's.
Old 09.04.2013, 11:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Damn. That's very Sherlock Holmes of you!
Old 14.04.2013, 03:17 PM
Administrator

15 minute Nord 4 demo.

Key features:
• 4-part multi-timbral with 4 separate outs.
• 2-Oscillator Virtual Analog Subtractive synthesis with Frequency Modulation, Hard and Soft Sync and True Voice Unison.
• Morph and Variation performance controls.
• Wavetable synthesis, including unique Formant Wavetables.
• 12/24 dB Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass filters section plus transistor and diode ladder filter simulations.
• 2 LFO/Arpeggiator sections and Mod Env section with flexible routing possibilities.
• LFO, Arpeggiator and Delay can be synchronized to the Master Clock (or external MIDI-Clock).
• Crush, Talk and Distortion, Reverb, Delay effects (available per slot)
• 2x oversampled sound engine.
• 49-key velocity sensitive keyboard (C-C) (Not Nord Lead 4R).
• USB MIDI.

The sound quality sounds good, but it initially appears such a meagre update, and in comparison it lacks so much functionality that the TI has.

2 oscillators, 20 voice poly, no aftertouch, and no alpha-numeric display!

I do like the morphing feature though, where you can assign different parameter values in a patch as "snapshots" within the patch, and then call up the changes or blend between them by pressing the recall buttons.
Old 15.04.2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The sound quality sounds good, but it initially appears such a meagre update, and in comparison it lacks so much functionality that the TI has.

2 oscillators, 20 voice poly, no aftertouch, and no alpha-numeric display!

I do like the morphing feature though, where you can assign different parameter values in a patch as "snapshots" within the patch, and then call up the changes or blend between them by pressing the recall buttons.
Yep, and let's not forget the Virus's had two filters from the start! The Nord only has one multi-mode filter, with newer modes now (the vowel has also come out on the Virus recently). Let's forget about the FX, but not before saying: where the hell are the audio ins? First time they get effects on the board and no audio routing of any kind, really?

And the other one, which some people miss on this thing: filter has a dedicated envelope, like most VA do, but... it's not bipolar, you can't actually invert it. I do like the sound of, say, two synced oscillators with a high-pass filter modulated by an envelope, making the filter open on each note (with plenty attack you feel it slide)... You still can't do this on the Nord Lead.

I actually like the immediacy of this kind of physical interface. It invites people to play and create sounds without using menus. I get that and I like it. I also do love the sound of this machines: it's got some rawness to it, and very clear highs that really do cut through very well on any mix - and I'm sure each one of us knows a lot of music made using it, just think of old times Goa Psy, for example. But... I'd be much happier with a Nord Modular G3, or a more ambitious Lead!

Oh, last time I checked the keybed on this things felt cheap to! I do like the pitch mod thing though, very handy! And who doesn't like the LFO's range knobs on this things? Very good for any sort of squelchy stuff, like the FM a lot to. But... was seriously hoping for a lot more!
Old 19.04.2013, 03:57 AM

Some FLStudio multi-touch fun at Musikmesse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtgn...layer_embedded
Old 19.04.2013, 06:04 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Some FLStudio multi-touch fun at Musikmesse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtgn...layer_embedded
Seen a ton of vids like this using various contollers, ipads etc. from the recent shows & they all look like fun but if you close your eye's & just listen to the music it is mostly a load of bollock's if you ask me. It's like when they started to add FX to DJ mixers...seemed like a good idea till you heard it through a big PA. Ouch my ears are bleeding
Old 19.04.2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Seen a ton of vids like this using various contollers, ipads etc. from the recent shows & they all look like fun but if you close your eye's & just listen to the music it is mostly a load of bollock's if you ask me. It's like when they started to add FX to DJ mixers...seemed like a good idea till you heard it through a big PA. Ouch my ears are bleeding
Yeah, its just tech fun and not necessarily a good idea for making better music overall. It's sort of like watching someone glitching and mangling up music in real-time at a club while people are trying to dance, it typically doesn't turn out well and ends up painful to listen to.

Kind of a cool feature for FLStudio though, especially for existing owners, because you buy FLS once and never pay for upgrades again. Its sort of like the idea behind Live session mode I guess but with a touch screen. In terms of actual music output probably appeals most to the dubstep crowd.