Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 18.03.2010, 03:26 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default How to modulate parameters in ableton?

Hey...

I am looking for a way to modulate parameters in ableton. Listen carefully... I setup the virus TI2 by draging it to a midi slot, easy not? Then I take 16 new midi channels to setup each one to send midi to each part of the ti: virus 1, virus 2, virus 3,... I AM TALKING ABOUT THE SESSION VIEW in Ableton8! When using clips it seems I cannot record any modulation... And when I fill in modulations in the clips there are 127cc's where god may know what there sending at... Ok, some of the modulations are 'general' But take for example contour lfo2...

I have noticed that there can be modulations where the virus itself is set up. But this means that I have to write the notes for each virus part in the sow called virus midi channels where i can play clips for each part (virus1 virus 2,...) But that I have to write the modulations on the strip where the virus is plugged in???

any suggestions about this plz tnx
Old 19.03.2010, 04:07 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I've been having the same problem.....I dont know of anyway you can automate except by using the matrix to set controls to the mod wheel. Then use the mod wheel control in the clip to automate. I know it kind sucks and is limiting your possibilities....but it works!
Old 19.03.2010, 06:48 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

If i remember correctly right click on peramiter to add to automation then in the little box at the bottom of ableton that you use to show/hide the plugin click the arrow then find the peramiter and right click (show automation lane)
Old 20.03.2010, 10:41 PM
Infektion taking hold...

in the matrix... yes... And after all the matrix has some good advantage if I am right you have the possibility to set up 6 cc messages instead of mod wheel... And probably if you use (example) cc 12 on your midiboard. the knob sends 0 to127 AND::: I think if you do not set the slider in the matrix assignment slot to full +63 or -63. The 127 steps made by the midi knob are recalculated to less steps. If you know what I mean. In my bad english... Look at the midi knob 0 to 127 as a 100% and if you set up your slider in the slot to (example) +12,7 (+12) it would be +1 each 10steps you move with the midi knob...

About what Shortbus said:
Thats correct too. But thats the reason why I started this thread. Shortbus, take a good look to the strip where the virus is sitting! It's where It runs it from... If you enter new midi tracks to control each part. And you use clips to send notes... there is no problem... But If you want to send some modulations with it too. To modulate the timbre. Guess what... trouble on the road... I just don't want to put a simple cutoff mod via the matrix on another cc input... There is a list from 1 to 127cc's... I have no Idea wich cc stands for what function in the virus... So I even got some so called ''midid implentation carts'' from the net and guess what they have some weird pages a,b,c.. cc0 to 127... don't understand how mutiple pages are working...
Old 21.03.2010, 11:34 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Happy to help!

Shortbus....interesting but makes it a little hard for use during live applications which is my main focus...I try for the simple is better method...I run through so many parts its easier to remember what the mod wheel is doing since I put the same parameters on the soft knobs via the matrix!

Gonna give it another go ahead...but I have not had any success getting automation to work per clip outside of song mode!
Old 24.03.2010, 03:46 PM
Am starting to like this forum

This is a great thread.

I have written to Access regarding this, and it was one of the great deceptions I felt when I bought the Virus TI. I imagined it would work more like a software plugin, where I would have not 1 AUVST instance of it, controlled by 16 midi tracks, but 16 AU/VST instances of it loaded as individual tracks, in which case, this thread wouldnt need to exist.

I honestly had it a lot easier with my Virus C in Live just using plain vanilla midi, each track controlling a part of the Virus, and all the modulations and notes in one track.

But the very fact that this thread and this problem even exist, trying to work around a problem and only finding really painful solutions is telling...

Access did reply to me, and said they had intentions of raising the number of AU/VST instances of the Virus to 4 in a session.
Old 24.03.2010, 03:54 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Good to know!
Old 07.07.2010, 08:20 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yornav View Post
when I fill in modulations in the clips there are 127cc's where god may know what there sending at... Ok, some of the modulations are 'general' But take for example contour lfo2...
use MIDIOX (a free MIDI monitor, among other things)
connect your VIRUS thru USB
start MIDIOX, select VIRUS SYNTH as the MIDI port to listen to, then start the MIDI monitor and voilá : every knob you move on your VIRUS, MIDIOX will show you exactly what´s happening

Problem is, not all the parameters on the VIRUS are sent as MIDI CC#. Many of them are sent as SYSEX and maybe even NRPN. I don´t know how Ableton handles these types of data

I´m an oldskool boy and i use external sequencer that record anything MIDI on them (well, i use Ableton as well but not for those tricky things)